not working SLK roof gizmo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fyonn

Car
BMW 330d
heya folks,

I've got a roof gizmo from these people (http://www.reinhold-engineering.de) installed in my R170 SLK. lastminute installed it mid last year and it was fine, but post christmas, when it began to brighten up a bit, I tried to remote open the roof and nothing. in fact, the roof won't even open from the inside. the switch lights up when I turn the car on, but otherwise it won't come on. ie no matter if the tonneau cover is open or closed.

there's no mechanical noise when I try the switch so I don't think it's even trying. as the car was due a service, I asked MB to check the roof, and they put their hands up and said they had no idea, but pointed towards the gizmo (perhaps due to not knowing what else to blame it on). I emailed the company who makes it who suggested checking the connections (they look fine I think) and then just de-installing the module and see if the roof works then.

I don't mind trying to get lastminute to have a look at it, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar with their roof gizmo's?

dave

Mine has a mini hiccup if you don't allow it to go through it's full routine, but I've always managed to get it going without to much difficulty.

Don't really know what to suggest other than getting back in touch with the retailer.

I have never seen a fault listed for those things either here or in the USA,, Bazzle is the one to ask

Then I hope that Bazzles sees this thread :)

Mine has a mini hiccup if you don't allow it to go through it's full routine, but I've always managed to get it going without to much difficulty.

Don't really know what to suggest other than getting back in touch with the retailer.

well, the retailer suggested removing it and seeing if the roof worked then. that's my plan really, I was just wondering if anyone else had seen something similar...

dave

I found this thread on SLKWorld. Turned out to be fuse 7 that was blown, but not visibly so. Worth checking (or just replacing with a known good one if you haven't got a meter to test with).

I found this thread on SLKWorld. Turned out to be fuse 7 that was blown, but not visibly so. Worth checking (or just replacing with a known good one if you haven't got a meter to test with).

ooh good call! that's pretty much exactly what's happening to me (though I don't have the indicator problems he has). hmm.. fuse number 7 eh? I'm guessing that'll be in the main fusebox in the engine bay. I hope fuse 7 is labelled in the plastic as I don't have the indicator guide :) I'll find some time to have a look this week :)

lets hope it's that, that would make me feel a lot better!

cheer
dave

*sigh* I thought that might be too easy!

well, on the way home I parked up under a railway arch (to be out of the rain, as it's rained all day) and popped the bonnet.

located the *real* fusebox, ie when looking at the car from the front, the box on the left, not the one on the right where lastminute installed the gizmo. that box has about 6 fuses in it.

anyway, so it turns out I do have the fuse assignment card and I found fuse 7. pulled it out, looks good. put a spare fuse (from the spare fuse holder) in and tried the roof. nothing.

checked the spare fuse, looked god, put the original one back in. still no roof action. I checked to see if any of the other fuses might be responsible, but none of them read like they might be at fault. admittedly I didn't test the fuse with a meter, but it would seem odd that both that and the spare fuse would be weirdly broken. that said, I'll take a meter out with me soon and try them again, just to make sure (assuming I can work the meter ;) )

any other tips or things to try?

cheers
dave

Does the red light in the switch do anything?

Bazzle

well, the light comes on for a short while when I turn the ignition, but after that no. it should flash at me if the tonneau cover isn't out, but it doesn't. also the windows don't one-touch-open and close when I double click the switch either.

dave

If you have access to Carsoft and can read the codes :
Carsoft 7.4 can access the Vario Roof module through pin #20 on a 38pin connector using the VD Digital-Test (would also be available on OBD11 connector via breakout box...pin# unknown)

Vario Roof Codes

BI000
Multi-function control unit (N10-3) faulty Replace N10-3
BI0I0
Voltage terminal 30E < 10 V
BI0II
Voltage terminal 30E > 15
BI0I6
Terminal 31A missing (front power windows and inside light not functioning)
BI0I7
Terminal 31B missing (rear power windows and inside light not functioning)
BII20
Left front power window switch (front center console) (S21/1) sticks or short to ground
BII2I
Right front power window switch (front center console) (S21/2) sticks or short to ground
BI263
Hydraulic unit temperature (A7/5)> 95 °C
BI264
Hydraulic unit temperature (A7/5)> 120 °C
BI265
Temperature sensor line open or short
BI266
Soft top hydraulic unit (A7/5) blocked
BI267
Implausible status signal and speed signal at speed sensor
BI268
Status signal at speed sensor invalid
BI269
Vario roof switch (S84) or supply lead short to ground
BI270
Trunk lid "open" limit switch (S69/9) and left or right trunk lid "closed/locked" limit switch(S69/7 or S69/8) actuated simultaneously
BI27I
Vario roof "open/lowered" limit switch (S69/11) and vario roof "closed" limit switch (S69/1) actuated simultaneously
BI272
Limit switch signals S69/1 S69/2 S69/3 and S69/11 implausible i.e.vario roof "locked" limit switch left (S69/3) and/or right (S69/2) actuated, whereas vario roof "open/lowered" limit switch (S69/11) and vario roof "closed" limit switch (S69/1) not actuated
BI273
Limit switch signals S69/1 S69/7 S69/8 and S69/11 implausible i.e.: trunk lid "closed/locked" limit switch left (S69/7) and/or right (S69/8) actuated, whereas vario roof "open/lowered" limit switch(S69/11) and vario roof "closed" limit switch(S69/1) not actuated
BI274
No limit switch signal AD77.50-P-2000-07A
BI275
Trunk lid limit switch (S69/9) sticks or line open or short
BI276
Left or right trunk lid "closed/locked" limit switch (S69/7, S69/8) sticks or line open or short
BI277
Vario roof "open/lowered" limit switch (S69/11)sticks or line open or short
BI278
Vario roof "closed" limit switch (S69/1) sticks or line open or short
BI279
Right (S69/2) or left (S69/3) vario roof "locked" limit switch sticks or line open or short
BI282
Left front power window motor, no block-type current or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI283
Right front power window motor, no block-type current or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI400
Left front power window M10/3 or terminal 30A or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI40I
Right front power window M10/4 or terminal 30A or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI402
Left rear power window M10/5 or terminal 30B or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI403
Right rear power window M10/6 or terminal 30B or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI490
Lines pump relay (A7/5k1) short or multi-function control module(N10-3)
BI49I
Lines trunk lid cylinder (A7/5y2) short or multi-function control module(N10-3)
BI492
Lines vario roof solenoid valve (A7/5y1) short or multi-function control module (N10-3)
BI493
Gong control line open or short
BI494
Indicator lamp leads, vario roof switch (S84) short

Also have a look in your glovebox handbook. A very good description of faults by the way the Red light blinks etc is shown.

Bazzle

And thirdly open where all the new connections were made and ensure no wires have come apart, connections are sound etc.

Bazzle

Bazzle said:
If you have access to Carsoft and can read the codes

I'm afraid I don't have such a device, I don't know if lastminute does?

Also have a look in your glovebox handbook. A very good description of faults by the way the Red light blinks etc is shown.

I'll have a check later tonight when i go to the car. I guess it's in some sort of troubleshooting section at the back.

Bazzle said:
And thirdly open where all the new connections were made and ensure no wires have come apart, connections are sound etc.

I had a quick look yesterday when checking the fuses, but I'll have another look to make sure.

cheers
dave

Bazzle

looked in the book, don't know if I looked in the wrong place, but I couldn't see much in the way of good fault descriptions by way of the red light. the troubleshooting bit only seemed to have a few bits in it about the roof.

as for the light in the roof switch. it comes on for a short while (second or so) when I switch the car on, otherwise it stays resolutely dark. it doesn't light up when I try to use the switch, whether the tonneau cover is open or not.

dave

fyonn;521443any other tips or things to try? cheers dave[/QUOTE said:
This is so basic but worth a second look: check the luggage cover cross-bars in the boot are securely located in their guide chanels and in particular the end cross-bar (the one you pull the luggage cover out with) bears down onto the sensors located at the end of the guide channels (you can easily see them). Also check that the cover itself isn't somehow pushed out of shape.

Unless both sensors are tripped by the luggage cover, the roof opening mechanism won't function.

I expect that was the first thing you checked!:)

This is so basic but worth a second look: check the luggage cover cross-bars in the boot are securely located in their guide chanels and in particular the end cross-bar (the one you pull the luggage cover out with) bears down onto the sensors located at the end of the guide channels (you can easily see them). Also check that the cover itself isn't somehow pushed out of shape.

Unless both sensors are tripped by the luggage cover, the roof opening mechanism won't function.

I expect that was the first thing you checked!:)

you're quite right, it is basic, but it's also worth looking. yes, it was an early thin I checked. the bar is open and it's pressing on the switch. thing is, even if it wasn't, the light under the switch ought to flash to let me know that the tonneau cover isn't open. but the light stays resolutely off.

thanks though.

dave

Hiya guys,

well, I went to Ian walkers today so brian could have a look at the gizmo. after some testing of a variety of things which all checked out, we finally decided to just dyke the thing out at which point the roof worked fine.

oh well, obviously it's faulty but at least the car works! :)

and 'twas nice to meet pammie too!

dave

Hiya guys,

well, I went to Ian walkers today so brian could have a look at the gizmo. after some testing of a variety of things which all checked out, we finally decided to just dyke the thing out at which point the roof worked fine.

oh well, obviously it's faulty but at least the car works! :)

and 'twas nice to meet pammie too!

dave

I'm glad you got it sorted Dave and got to the root of the problem. It's always a nightmare when things go wrong like this but at least you know now that's it's nothing more sinister than the gizmo being conked.

You putting another one on?

I'm glad you got it sorted Dave and got to the root of the problem. It's always a nightmare when things go wrong like this but at least you know now that's it's nothing more sinister than the gizmo being conked.

yeah, I was really glad it wasn't something to do with the roof itself, because I could imagine MB soaking me for that!

pammy said:
You putting another one on?

good question. I'm undecided at the moment but I need to get in touch with the company. if I have the option of getting my money back from the vendor, I might just do that. if they'll only send me a new one, then I might as well get it refitted, as what else am I gonna do with it :)

Many thanks again to both Ian Walker and LastMinute for all their help!

dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom