Notchy gears on a C220cdi six speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinSurrey

Car
2002 W203 (CL) Plate C220CDi Coupe Auto
Hi Guys - I have recently bought myself a C220 CDi Coupe six speed manual on a 2002. She seems a bit notchy / grinding on some of the gear changes, especially change from 1st (or 3rd) into 2nd. from 3rd to 4th upwards (and downwards is fine, but the first few gears seem a bit more resistant. The problem seems to be a little worse when cold.

Clutch doesn't seem particularly high or low, no slippage and she does always go into every gear despite the notchyness so really looking for some ideas?

(maybe set off in third with this lovely torquey engine ;) )

Cheers

Martin

Those gearboxes are notchy when cold - especially 1st to second.
A known fix is to replace the gearbox oil with MTL Redline gearbox oil.

This thread may help.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread but I just changed the oil in my manual gearbox to Redline MTL. I always change the manual gear lube every other major service (c35K) with MB supplied lube. The gearbox has never been exactly quick shifting. What a transformation after filling with MTL, despite the car having 185K on the clock! Quiet, smooth and quick shifting. It was -1C at 4:00 am on Sunday when I set off to catch a flight and the box shifted like it was warmed up.

Ill have a question towards you. Which MTL Red Line oil should I pour to the gearbox of my Mb W203 c180 ML111 EVO non kompressor? There is few of them. Are they save for our gear boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom