Notes from (very) a small island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Evening guys,
My name is Darrell and some of you may remember that I moved over to Skiathos in Greece about 10 months ago with my wife,our little girl and my 1997 W202.If anyone has seen Mama-Mia this year then you will know where I am.

We have recently finished our first summer season and now relaxing a bit in the sunshine until I start again in a week or 2 re-furbishing 24 bathrooms in one of the larger hotels out here.The collapse of XL holidays and Kosmar have affected us but we will recover.If anyone from this forum has lost a holiday,then I feel for you.

I am pleased to say that our car is running in a superb way and it surely goes to prove that these cars were built to last.Everything still works correctly and we are constantly running the car up and down muddy tracks,mountain roads and generally places where it shouldn't really go.We have got a couple of war-wounds on the corners of the bumpers but this is all we have in 10 months of small island driving.We are going to Athens next week so at least we can give it a good blast on the motorways on the mainland.Skiathos is only 14km wide so we have trouble getting over 60mph for more than 2 minutes!!

Merc-wise,we see a lot out here,the bulk of the 19 taxis are Mercs.The majirity are E-classes but we have 3 W202's and a 1 year old S320 cdi (very nice).In August the Greeks come over on-masse,they love their 4x4's and the ML's are very popular.There is also 2 German plated G-Wagons,a silver one and one that is sprayed up like an army vehicle complete with jerry cans,shovels and a fold flat windscreen,it looks very cool .I have spotted a W114 in so-so condition and I am making in-roads into getting my hands on it.The classic car thing isn't a big deal on the small islands as cars tend to be work-horses rather than hobbies .One of my pals has just bought a new B-class,I don't know much about them but he reckons it is the best thing since sliced bread.I suppose only time will tell.

Untill next time from the small island.

Darrell

There are a couple of Mokes out here.One is owned by the owner of the Plaza Hotel and the other is owned by one of the car hire companies in town.They also have a Smart Crossblade,a VW Beetle trike,a number of motorised buggy type-things and in August (when the mainland Greeks are here) a Porsche 911.And of course they have about 80 Suzuki Jimneys.

Good to hear your news; keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom