Notwen's CLK55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Notwen

SUPPORTER
Car
C36 AMG, C55 AMG Estate & CLK55 AMG
Following on from my Wanted thread; WTB - CLK55 AMG Cabrio. | Classifieds - Wanted | MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts,

It started off when we were getting very little use out of my wife's SLK350. Having a couple of needy Beagles, if we were going out, one or both would come with us, so we would end up using a 4 seater saloon.
50527987792_10a199ef87_c.jpg
The plan was to sell the SLK and buy a CLK. Having dodged the Balance Shaft bullet with the SLK350, I was keen to avoid the gamble with a CLK280/350 and started looking at CLK200's, while my wife was looking at CLK500's...
The problem was, early R171's are not making great money so any CLK500 was likely to be a bit leggy.
Doing some man maths, realising that selling the C43/55, pooling the funds into 1 car could result in CLK55 AMG. A 4 seater convertible for Mrs N and a V8 for me.
(plus 1 less car to insure and tax) and I would still have my C36 AMG.

Advertising the SLK and C43/55 in the middle of winter, I did not expect much interest, but as the adverts I did were free to list, I was happy let them run.
The SLK went quickly, it was really nice example, only let down by my foolishly loosing the Service Book.
Equally, the C43/55 found a new home swiftly, burbling off into the sunset.

50797374276_7371617839_c.jpg

CLK AMG prices seem to all over the place (like W202 AMG prices).
There was a wish list;
Had to be a cabrio. ideally a good spec, facelift, pref. a dark colour.
There were a few advertised, despite middle of winter and covid. Some had been for sale for quite some time.
One stood out quite early on, with a dealer near London. ticking pretty much every box. I just felt the pricing was a tad' enthusiastic.
Kissed a few more frogs and kept coming back to it.
With it being close on 200 miles away, I was able to arrange for a friend to go view it for me.
There were a few niggles highlighted, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 15year old car. "It's nice, but it's not £15k nice"

50831800347_d6442f352c_c.jpg
Knowing the dealer had had it for sale for nearly 6 months, I put in a cheeky bid, we were too far apart.

Chased a few more, even trawling back on old adverts for ones that may have not sold.
Doing the man maths on some of the cheaper ("no such thing as a cheap AMG") examples, by the time I brought a cheap one up to a nice standard, it would no longer be a bargain.
A few more chats with the London dealer and we came to a place we were both happy (me more than him I feel), and a deal was done.

I got some Shiply quotes that ranged from £250-£400. I tend to go middle of the road with Shiply quotes, spending a lot of my time on Motorways, I see some ropey looking transporters with nice cars on board. I didn't want my new acquisition to end up damaged. Chatting to the dealer about my plans, he has a regular couple of guys and got me a price that was good and they could combine the delivery with an existing run North, so it would be with me within 48hrs.
08:00 Thursday, while I was having an Automotive move about as the W202 C220d Sport (coming up for sale soon) had been in the garage, a familiar burble could be heard.

50833724208_73527d9e26_k.jpg

A quick wiz to the petrol station for a splash and dash, everything worked and it drove well.
Saturday I had a better mooch around. there were already some things I had put in motion to change.
The wrong gear selector, I managed to locate a NOS one in Germany that landed quickly. I have also located a correct steering wheel to replace the wood effect one, not to my taste.

50841605026_fc607568bd_c.jpg50841605096_eb279ffec7_c.jpg

I took the wheels off to clean the back faces, one of the bargaining areas was the rear tyres getting a bit low.
Great to see the expensive 2 piece discs had been done recently

50841694212_e80d7e9172_c.jpg 50840881228_8c8c3b98c0_c.jpg

While it had factory COMAND with NAV', it did not have the factory phone pre-wire options. I thought initially the module was missing. with help from the forum, we established it was a Denison piece of kit, present and working.

Another bargaining chip was the battery was a bit discharged when the car was viewed, and the battery 7 years old, so costed in a replacement.
Batterymegastore did a Varta 019 for £100 delivered via their eBay shop, (the Bosch labelled version is £10 dearer, despite both being the same spec. & made in the same factory).

Snug fit in there

50840881333_e8a5c263c4_c.jpg

As Mrs N had not been out on the CLK, so Sunday morning we planned a trip out... to the Shell petrol station! for some decent fuel (I only did a supermarket fuel splash and dash on the day of delivery)

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your view) the local Shell in town was having a delivery and not allowed sales.
Our next nearest is a little out of town, so a slightly longer run, which I am sure I could justify if required. Drives very well, sounds great, no clonks or bangs, even on some of the rougher roads.

Bit grubby with road salt and will have a clean before it goes away.
50844381696_60c83db043_c.jpg

50843651098_f8e45a235c_c.jpg

to be continued...

Attachments

• 50841605096_eb279ffec7_c.jpg
    50841605096_eb279ffec7_c.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 3
Lovely mate, I think i saw this one advertised, New gear knob looks so much better! Great Price on the Battery too :thumb:

Car looks a Stunner!

Lovely cars the big V8 clks

I had a V6 with the AMG sports kit. It is still the prettiest car I have had, externally imho.

that looks lurvely.

Bet it sounds it to......

When we started looking for a CLK55, Jayne read the buyers guide in Classic Cars, she commented about the number plate (RM55CLK). As we managed to get a 55 plate car, it seemed appropriate to get a 55 CLK plate. I asked the plate maker to do me a small gap between the JN and 55, it may be a bit too obvious, (worthy of the Number Plate Spacing | General Discussion | MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts thread...) so may have to change it if the boys in blue mention it. (plate is a bit wonky now I look at the picture)

50868206776_417aaf37a7_c.jpg

Managed to source a set of pre-loved genuine AMG mats that were cheap enough, while I find a nicer set.
Top of my list of round-tuits, was changing the steering wheel to a more OE look. This was not without it’s challenges as the first one I bought was damaged. Sourced a slightly later one (A2094603303) that has the black gear shifter paddles, rather than buttons.

50868304287_ffb8076dee_c.jpg

The old wheel will be heading to eBay once I identify which option wood type it is.

50868206066_3cd20d0593_c (1).jpg

Have made a fused charging fly lead, so can put the CLK on my ctek when parked up in the garage, when not in use it sits being the headlight, not long enough to foul any moving parts when the engine is running. I had to do this as my wall art BTCC Ciceley Mercedes front bumper prevents me from fully opening the bonnet to get to the jump terminal and use croc’ clips.

50766256126_48fc23fae3_c.jpg

50845062692_24984de4b0_c.jpg

When I purchased the CLK55, one of the negotiation points was the rear tyres getting near the wear bars.
It is currently fitted with Michelin Sport Pilot 4 all around, the fronts showing very little wear.
Keen to have matching brand all around, Kwik Fit online came out the most competitive. I have found this a few times and the local branch have always been good.
Took the CLK Saturday morning for the rears and Hunter 4 wheel alignment, I had only just left the house when the snow came down.

50868304077_1f1e97a355_c.jpg

The tyres ordered were very recent, both being manufactured week 50 on 2020.
All seemed to go well and I headed home, once back having a walk around I noticed a mark on the N/S/R wheel, not just a scratch but down to the alloy.

50867485433_13f3c5f901_c.jpg

Rang the Manager who asked me to come back for them to see the damage. Disappointingly, but not entirely surprising they denied doing the damage. Summoning the fitter, he was adamant it was like that before. By now a 3rd person has come out, the three of them stood there backing each others story. I suggested that the intimidating tactic was not going to work and one of them should fetch my old tyres, as if the damage had been done previously, there would be a great chunk missing from the old tyre. Despite close scrutiny by pretty much every member of staff, no marks or damage could be found on the old tyres. The Manager then tried saying their equipment could not do that damage as all contact points have rubber or plastic faces. I reminded him the bead breaker has a metal curved blade and if we compared the curve would match. At this point he partially backs down and claims that purely as a good will gesture, with no admission of fault, they will have the wheel repaired/refurbished at their cost. Currently I don’t see a need to escalate it to the Head Office, providing all gets resolved to my satisfaction.

Finish this update on a happy picture

50867486443_9b0f6a35d5_c.jpg

Attachments

• 50868206066_3cd20d0593_c (1).jpg
    50868206066_3cd20d0593_c (1).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 5
I asked the plate maker to do me a small gap between the JN and 55, it may be a bit too obvious
That should be okay unless you get a very fussy MOT shop. I had from new on the S-Class registration plates made up by Halford's for eight years with no problems until i took it to a MOT station out of my area and it failed. I told them it had never failed before, so they bought out there template and sure enough it was a fraction out :rolleyes: So on the safe side get a legit set for the MOT:thumb:

lovely looking car, definitely a good choice.

Very nice 🤔 Missing my V8 even more

That should be okay unless you get a very fussy MOT shop. I had from new on the S-Class registration plates made up by Halford's for eight years with no problems until i took it to a MOT station out of my area and it failed. I told them it had never failed before, so they bought out there template and sure enough it was a fraction out :rolleyes: So on the safe side get a legit set for the MOT:thumb:
I wouldn't be pulling your car with that plate as pictured and I don't know any of my colleagues who would be that pedantic or in need of a tick in a box!

Just to bookend the wheel damage, the repair was done and I am happy with the result (I cleaned off the old balance weight adhesive before fitting).

50883949747_53ae3495eb_c.jpg

The only other news, the steering wheel, while it was nice was obviously from a higher mileage car and (to me) looked a bit out of place.
Royal Steering Wheels would recover it it OE style solid and perforated leather, so that is currently away being done.
Before:

50868304287_ffb8076dee_c (1).jpg

This is a beautiful looking car!
I think they have aged very well and as years go by, i'm liking this model CLK more and more and to have a V8 AMG must be fun :)
Your one looks immaculate. I love threads like this, it's all about attention to detail.
Keep up the great work!

Thick Fit should never be trusted to do anything.

Better to pay a few quid more and go to a decent tyre fitter, use Blackcircles and choose your fitter.
Or go to your local known, trusted tyre dealers, and armed with price, ask them to match it.

Great looking cars the CLK.

Are you going to quad pipe it? they do come up rarely on eBay (OEM).

Thick Fit should never be trusted to do anything.

Better to pay a few quid more and go to a decent tyre fitter, use Blackcircles and choose your fitter.
Or go to your local known, trusted tyre dealers, and armed with price, ask them to match it.
In fairness to them, they have never caused me any issues in the past. Though I would not have them do anything other than tyres and alignment.
Where we used to live, I would use Blackcircles, Tyre Trader etc and had a great garage who did the fitting. Since moving I have not found an Independent I want to spend my money with yet...
Same with MOT's, we had a great guy and even for 2 years after we moved we would make the 100mile round trip to have him MOT the cars, not because he would turn a blind eye to anything, but he was a genuine car guy and I was happy to put some business his way. It's only in the last 12 months I have found a decent MOT station nearby who now does the MOT's for us.

Great looking cars the CLK.

Are you going to quad pipe it? they do come up rarely on eBay (OEM).
It's something on my wish list, but not a priority yet.

Looks great!

Is this true to OEM in colour?

Did you send your own steering wheel?

Michael

Looks great!

Is this true to OEM in colour?

Did you send your own steering wheel?

Michael
I sent in my own wheel, they do have loaner wheels if yours is a daily driver, best ask them if they have one suitable.
In the car, parked in the garage it looks a grey/black, when the wheel was in natural light it looks black. I will be getting it out of the garage this weekend and get some more images in natural light.

Used the CLK for a run out to collect some essentials this morning, it was a bit grubby when we got back so after Brian the Beagle had finished his inspection it had a clean.

50965375343_4d3d69d4bc_k.jpg
I gave it a going over with my clay mit and then some Maguires polish to finish it off.

50966083306_38a8dc3b17_k.jpg

50966083846_08738695d3_k.jpg

An outside picture of the new steering wheel, it must be the camera making it look grey, as the new (& genuine) gear shifter knob looks grey in the picture too.

50966189007_0ccf721eca_k.jpg

Also had the C36 out of the garage for a clean, not that it's been anywhere, but I felt better for doing it.

50965378568_d0450a4b2f_k.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom