NOVICE,! What have I crushed!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefriley

Car
1999 cle
Hey all, doing the odd DIY on the car, yes I'm the dreaded novice that should leave it to the experts, but I was just taking the rear wheel off to check the brakes...jacked it up (99 clk 320 coupe) with the most RIDICULOUS jack ever...when it kind of rolled of the jack and the wheel wasn't fixed on

SO the rear rested on the inside of the alloy I mean rested by the brake disc...bit what is the part that surrounds the brake disc behind it, this is a much thinner material quite rusty...well this part took the brunt ath the bottom before the disc found it's seat...

Jacked it up with a friends trolley jack, wheel back on but an awful scraping sound hence I don't want to drive her...

Any help, thanks guys

And please don't berate me meddling...we are all novices to start with.

The brake back plate is bent onto the disk. Remove wheel, reform plate away from the disk, refit wheel.

Using a decent jack & axle stands!

Can't be emphasised enough,cars hurt when they fall on you or even kill,please
use safe jacks,and back up stands.

Never ever use the cars emergency jack for maintenance work.

martyz said:
Can't be emphasised enough,cars hurt when they fall on you or even kill,please
use safe jacks,and back up stands.

^^This. Always use a Jack stand and if your unsure leave it. The old saying springs to mind "if in doubt, leave it out". You only need to make a error once and it's game over.

One post to reply to the problem, ten pages to discuss...:rolleyes:

I can only begin to imagine what a psychologist would make of this forum.

As DM says you have bent the brake back plate. Brute force /leverage/ panel beating/ even some hacksawing may be required to re-instate it. For this you will require a good trolley jack--- cheap enough from Halfords-- their own one gets good write ups Halfords 2 Tonne | Auto Express

Take the wheel off the other "undamaged " side and inspect it carefully - take pictures from several angles if necessary --- then remove the wheel on the damaged side and see what's required in the way of repair. To do this will involve applying force to the assembly so the car must be jacked up and supported on wooden blocks to be stable.

Cheers guys...I appreciate all the help and the concern is a refreshing angle, I didn't realise how inept the MB jack would be, seem a ridiculous gimmicky ideas for such a car...lesson truly learned...))

The jack is fine, but when you jacked up the rear wheel (presumably with the gearbox in park, but not the parking brake on), the car just rolled away.

You needed to chock the wheels to ensure the car couldn't move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom