Now its Tyre and Brake Dust Pollution Even Electric Cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ioweddie, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
  2. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    Livestock, maily cows I believe are responsible for a large proportion of the emmisions that cause climate change.
    So we all go vegetarian and then we produce it instead.

Can't win.

3. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    On the same scale only if we weigh 600kg.

4. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    The enviromentalist lunatics will love this news.

5. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Pollution from tyres and brakes has been considered as important for at least a couple of decades, but the emissions regulations were focused on evaporatives (VOCs) and tailpipe emissions except CO2. Now that tailpipe pollution is very much reduced, the (media) focus is turning to these other issues. As far as I know there currently no emissions regulation for tyres or brakes.

The only real way to reduce road transport derived emissions/pollution is to reduce the number of vehicles on the road and especially within high population density areas. Substituting one form of motive energy with another simply won't get the job done. I don't know how many million bicycles there are in Beijing these days, but I'll bet the air quality there was much better before the wholesale move towards the motor car.

Cattle farts and belches make a huge contribution to atmospheric greenhouse gases as do methane emissions from paddy-fields, hydro-electric and drinking water reservoirs and warming permafrost.

SW18 likes this.
  6. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    st13phil likes this.
  7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    THE REPORT
    https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/...90709_Non_Exhaust_Emissions_typeset_Final.pdf
    On the BBC statement
    The government’s Air Quality Expert Group said particles from brake wear, tyre wear and road surface wear directly contribute to well over half of particle pollution from road transport. They warn: "No legislation is currently in place specifically to limit or reduce [these] particles.
    "So while legislation has driven down emissions of particles from exhausts, the non-exhaust proportion of road traffic emissions has increased." They say the percentage of pollutants will get proportionally higher as vehicle exhausts are cleaned up more.

Again its the precise use of language that's the issue here. I would suggest that many would interpret this as an increase of non exhaust particulates :eek: rather than what it is --- an indication of an overall reduction of all RT produced particulates. :)

SW18, st13phil, GeeJayW and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fununcle

Fununcle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 amg+
    You are of course absolutely right, being snarky and pretending people that care are mental will definitely stop catastrophic climate change. Keep on driving the v8's

9. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    I intend to do just that;)

GillyC63 likes this.
  10. Bellow

Car:
    Lighter cars would help. Better driving would help. Fat chance of either.

11. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Indeed, if tailpipe emissions were zero, the non-exhaust proportion of road traffic emissions would be 100%.

12. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    When China and India (in particular) stop their massive industrial and car pollution I'll begin to listen.
    Until then, the UK are a speck in the ocean with the amount of pollution we create.
    It's OK for us to do our bit that takes money from our pockets (ie the low emission zones)and meanwhile other huge countries do nothing.

I wonder if the air passenger tax that was introduced in 1994 has reduced passenger travel numbers? I doubt it.
    And while the UK has the highest rate in Europe, fly from Ireland, Belgium or the Netherlands and pay nothing.
    UK citizens shafted again.

Tramper likes this.
  13. Bellow

Car:
    It's about local air quality. In the UK, we don't breathe China's air.

14. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    I was looking at the bigger picture actually.
    But I think I'll withdraw from this discussion before I post something I later regret.

GeeJayW likes this.
  15. Hawkwind

Hawkwind Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 320
    But the real problem is not local, it's global.

So China and the US are still producing huge amounts of carbon and the rest of the world moving it's heavy industry to China hasn't solved the problem at all (In fact world wide carbon emissions have increased since industry was shipped out to China. The only thing it's done is turn China into a true global super power).

It's the equivalent of sweeping the dirt under the carpet.

slade1 likes this.
  16. SW18

SW18 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500 Sport
    China is not as bad on carbon as we’d all like to think. It’s seen as leading globally in the current pace of its energy transition. (Incidentally the UK is also right up there, with our long-term reduction this century being greater than anyone’s.) The Chinese government have made big carbon commitments and are starting to deliver on them. On the automotive front, they will be driving cleaner cars than us and probably pressuring us to catch up (so that we become a market for their cars - this is why our European makes are rushing to invest in clean power trains).

Info on decarbonisation rates per country:

UK and China leading on low carbon transition but global emissions are still rising, finds PwC's Low Carbon Economy Index