Now its Tyre and Brake Dust Pollution Even Electric Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Livestock, maily cows I believe are responsible for a large proportion of the emmisions that cause climate change.
So we all go vegetarian and then we produce it instead.

Can't win.

Livestock, maily cows I believe are responsible for a large proportion of the emmisions that cause climate change.
a So we all go vegetarian and then we produce it instead.
Can't win.

On the same scale only if we weigh 600kg.

Pollution from tyres and brakes has been considered as important for at least a couple of decades, but the emissions regulations were focused on evaporatives (VOCs) and tailpipe emissions except CO2. Now that tailpipe pollution is very much reduced, the (media) focus is turning to these other issues. As far as I know there currently no emissions regulation for tyres or brakes.

The only real way to reduce road transport derived emissions/pollution is to reduce the number of vehicles on the road and especially within high population density areas. Substituting one form of motive energy with another simply won't get the job done. I don't know how many million bicycles there are in Beijing these days, but I'll bet the air quality there was much better before the wholesale move towards the motor car.

Cattle farts and belches make a huge contribution to atmospheric greenhouse gases as do methane emissions from paddy-fields, hydro-electric and drinking water reservoirs and warming permafrost.

THE REPORT
https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/...90709_Non_Exhaust_Emissions_typeset_Final.pdf
On the BBC statement
The government’s Air Quality Expert Group said particles from brake wear, tyre wear and road surface wear directly contribute to well over half of particle pollution from road transport. They warn: "No legislation is currently in place specifically to limit or reduce [these] particles.
"So while legislation has driven down emissions of particles from exhausts, the non-exhaust proportion of road traffic emissions has increased." They say the percentage of pollutants will get proportionally higher as vehicle exhausts are cleaned up more.

Again its the precise use of language that's the issue here. I would suggest that many would interpret this as an increase of non exhaust particulates :eek: rather than what it is --- an indication of an overall reduction of all RT produced particulates. :)

The enviromentalist lunatics will love this news.

You are of course absolutely right, being snarky and pretending people that care are mental will definitely stop catastrophic climate change. Keep on driving the v8's

Lighter cars would help. Better driving would help. Fat chance of either.

THE REPORT
https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/...90709_Non_Exhaust_Emissions_typeset_Final.pdf
On the BBC statement
The government’s Air Quality Expert Group said particles from brake wear, tyre wear and road surface wear directly contribute to well over half of particle pollution from road transport. They warn: "No legislation is currently in place specifically to limit or reduce [these] particles.
"So while legislation has driven down emissions of particles from exhausts, the non-exhaust proportion of road traffic emissions has increased." They say the percentage of pollutants will get proportionally higher as vehicle exhausts are cleaned up more.

Again its the precise use of language that's the issue here. I would suggest that many would interpret this as an increase of non exhaust particulates :eek: rather than what it is --- an indication of an overall reduction of all RT produced particulates. :)
Indeed, if tailpipe emissions were zero, the non-exhaust proportion of road traffic emissions would be 100%.

When China and India (in particular) stop their massive industrial and car pollution I'll begin to listen.
Until then, the UK are a speck in the ocean with the amount of pollution we create.
It's OK for us to do our bit that takes money from our pockets (ie the low emission zones)and meanwhile other huge countries do nothing.

I wonder if the air passenger tax that was introduced in 1994 has reduced passenger travel numbers? I doubt it.
And while the UK has the highest rate in Europe, fly from Ireland, Belgium or the Netherlands and pay nothing.
UK citizens shafted again.

When China and India (in particular) stop their massive industrial and car pollution I'll begin to listen.

It's about local air quality. In the UK, we don't breathe China's air.

It's about local air quality. In the UK, we don't breathe China's air.

But the real problem is not local, it's global.

So China and the US are still producing huge amounts of carbon and the rest of the world moving it's heavy industry to China hasn't solved the problem at all (In fact world wide carbon emissions have increased since industry was shipped out to China. The only thing it's done is turn China into a true global super power).

It's the equivalent of sweeping the dirt under the carpet.

China is not as bad on carbon as we’d all like to think. It’s seen as leading globally in the current pace of its energy transition. (Incidentally the UK is also right up there, with our long-term reduction this century being greater than anyone’s.) The Chinese government have made big carbon commitments and are starting to deliver on them. On the automotive front, they will be driving cleaner cars than us and probably pressuring us to catch up (so that we become a market for their cars - this is why our European makes are rushing to invest in clean power trains).

Info on decarbonisation rates per country:

UK and China leading on low carbon transition but global emissions are still rising, finds PwC's Low Carbon Economy Index

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom