Now understand why my wife loves her Toyota

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg, ML320 (2 ) A210 , E320 ( all gone )
Having taken my wife's RAV4 ( old 54 plate ) away for a 3 day birthday trip to a Spa into central Wales instead of my car , we found ourselves this morning on a 40 mile diversion due to the closure of the road due to an unsafe building on the route to Llandovery.. It was misty, very dark and rainy and the drivers wiper blade decided to disintegrate !
Our diversion took us through Llangunnog Wells and I suddenly spotted a Toyota dealers , so in we went. I found myself at reception. Can you supply a couple of front wiper blades I asked.? Even better have you someone who can replace them for me.
5 minutes later and having paid £13.77 I returned to the car to find the wipers had been replaced!
Maybe my SLK might need to be traded in for a Toyota Hybrid one of these days.

Forbes has a listing of the top 15 brands likely to be kept 15+ years by their first owners.

Every one of them is Japanese, and half are SUV's

Ten are Toyota, four are Honda, and there's the Subaru Forester.

Long Term Relationships: 15 Vehicles Owners Hold Onto For 15 Or More Years

OK, part of it is an endemic lifestyle and age demographic thing, but it's a remarkable achievement.

Germans try hard to build the best, but "some say" the Japanese build them. It's a cultural thing.

That said, although I love my wife's (6th) Mx5, I wouldn't buy the Lexus equivalent of an E500 - it's just not good enough.

Last edited:
Our 1997 Toyota Previa which we had from new is still going strong (albeit now has only limited use as our European holiday car). Nothing ever went wrong with it... and it's still fun to drive, in it's own unique way.

We had a Landcruiser which we bought new in Tunisia in 2003 and sold 11 years later with about 70 k kilometres on the clock . Only ever had a problem once when sunroof jammed , fixed under warranty.
4 new tyres at about 40k kilometers and it was still on the original set of brake pads ! Our friends were fighting over it once they knew we were leaving and I sold it for 50% of it's original cost. Hence if we need to go down to a single car in future it will very likely be a Toyota ( AV or Hybrid )

Japs have a philosophy and respect for everything where europeans lacks in anything about customer satisfaction.
I would say that jap brand dealerships are much better than any european brand dealership when it comes to 100% customer satisfactory?
Am I wrong?

Calling a Japanese person a Jap is the equivalent of calling a Pakistani a P...., well you know the word.

Reactions: Abb
Like calling a Scottish person a Scot?

And a British person a Brit?

Beauty, and scorn, lies in the eyes of the Beholder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like calling a Scottish person a Scot?

And a British person a Brit?

No, not quite........

Jap - Wikipedia
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today, it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation after the events of the internment of Japanese Americans.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2] Nisei veterans who served in World War II were shunned with signs that read "No Japs Allowed" and "No Japs Wanted", denied service in shops and restaurants, and had their homes and property vandalized.

Definition of jap | Dictionary.com
Jap
[ jap ]
SEE SYNONYMS FOR Jap ON THESAURUS.COM
adjective, noun Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a contemptuous term used to refer to a Japanese person.

Ive just ate a chinkies. Sorry chinese.

Certainly true for the Roger Sterling et al from the Mad Men generation, but in the modern world, things are different.

However, as a white person, you will still be called a Gaijin, by a Japanese in Japan or outside of Japan, A "foreign devil," if you will.

As you probably know, Japanese culture is very insular and closed to the rest of the World.

Gaijin - Wikipedia

Definition of gaijin | Dictionary.com

BTW I used to work for Japanese Investment Bank, and my daughter is just about to start in M&A for another Japanese Investment Bank.
Both she and her brother have a good basic knowledge of Japanese.

Calling a Japanese person a Jap is the equivalent of calling a Pakistani a P...., well you know the word.

I was lazy to write the whole word, so it was only a short writing.;)
It wouldn't be nice calling a german person in short writing as germs, that would most likely be an insult?:oops:

People from Turkey are called turks, you either refer to the country or a bird or in a derogatory way to insult a person as you're a turkey. o_O
One word can have several different meanings?
It doesn't always have to be in a bad way.

Last edited:
For the record i have no issue with being called a Taff.

I'm the same way about being called a handsome b'stard if I'm honest.

Certainly true for the Roger Sterling et al from the Mad Men generation, but in the modern world, things are different.

However, as a white person, you will still be called a Gaijin, by a Japanese in Japan or outside of Japan, A "foreign devil," if you will.

As you probably know, Japanese culture is very insular and closed to the rest of the World.

Gaijin - Wikipedia

Definition of gaijin | Dictionary.com

BTW I used to work for Japanese Investment Bank, and my daughter is just about to start in M&A for another Japanese Investment Bank.
Both she and her brother have a good basic knowledge of Japanese.

Your child will stand out as a gaijin in the office full of Yapanese colleagues. ;)
Don't know if I spelled it correct?

Your child will stand out as a gaijin in the office full of Yapanese colleagues. ;)
Don't know if I spelled it correct?

No issue here:the Japanese Investment Banks in London are very gaijin.

That's cool. :)
Start a Bank of Yakuza.:cool:
Very high interest % revenue on savings, but bank customers can never do withdrawals.
Must be good business for the Boss? :cool:

Mizuho-Financial-Group-ch-009.jpg

When is a Japanese car not a "Japanese" car- when its built somewhere else? It's a pro's and con's argument that's been going on for ever but if nothing else reveals the terminological inexactitude of simply refering to a car by the mere location of its parent company name in today's world of multinational manufacturing . It might be more useful to refer to cars by their manufacturing plant nowadays?
e.g.
The worldwide production network of Mercedes-Benz Cars extends to four continents, has been considerably expanded in recent years and continues to grow. Here is an overview followed by details of the Sindelfingen plant.
Vehicle plants:

Bremen/Germany
East London/South Africa
Hambach/France
Iracemápolis/Brazil (from 2016)
Kecskemét/Hungary
Rastatt/Germany
Sindelfingen/Germany
Tuscaloosa/USA
Passenger car assembly locations (e.g. Completely/semi–knocked-down: delivered parts kits are locally assembled):
Bangkok/Thailand
Ho Chi Minh City/Vietnam
Jakarta/Indonesia
Pekan/Malaysia
Pune/India

they missed out contractors
VALMET in FINLAND [A CLASS- C CLASS ?]
and
MAGNA STEYR in GRATZ AUSTRIA [G WAGEN]

You could argue (without being racist? Not sure about that) that the parent country has a cultural influence on the design, manufacture and distribution of a car.

Such that a Mercedes GLS or GLE out of Alabama has more of a German heritage and culture than a Honda Pilot made in the same state.

Or that a BMW MINI out of Cowley is made to a different heritage than Mini Metro that was made in the same location by a British company.

Lots of people do reckon that an S class, or E class out of Sindelfingen is made to a very high standard indeed, thanks to that pure German heritage and staff,

But then others think that BMW 3 series are fine German cars - not realising that their lovely British BMW 3 series have been made in South Africa for 35 years.

And it's even more complicated when you see that the robots and assembly kit used by the manufacturer is made by global third parties, which makes the manufacturer even less unique.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom