Now you know I know sod all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Cough ~ I was doing some digging out in the passengers footwell this afternoon (Forum being down) and found this black box with 4 dip switches in it. What is it and what are the dip switches for?

Is it related to an alarm system??

Hi Ian,

I hope your well, My Wife has something like that hidden behind her dash for her alarm system, so I agree with Tan... Something to do with an alarm maybe past or present....

Looks like the remote receiver for the alarm. I betcha that skinny single black lead goes up inside the passenger A pillar into the headlining and acts as an ariel.

Perhaps it's the black box recorder like they have on planes,if you're in an accident get as damn close to it as you can they always survive :crazy: ;)

Sp!ke said:
Looks like the remote receiver for the alarm. I betcha that skinny single black lead goes up inside the passenger A pillar into the headlining and acts as an ariel.
Thanks Sp!ke, I think you may be right. Alas the alarm is not functioning, will need to get that sorted asap.

Bob - No its not ticking, should it? :D

Ian,

I also think that's the interior alarm box, I seem to recall Koolvin stating that all the older UK spec cars had the alarms fitted under contract by the dealership. Alarms were not a factory fitted option, although in the UK they were known as MB standard alarms. I think it all changed after the 1997 model updates across the range?

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom