NOx / Adblue W213

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedderd

Car
E270CDi
Hi all,

I think a lot of my experience has happened to others on here. And I feel like I won't get much from Mercedes from this.

In November, EML came on. Code checked and picked up as NOx sensor. No other issues on the car. My indy advised I could chase a warranty claim. Car is 4 yrs, 40k.

Luckily a friend of a friend was the service manager at my local MB dealership and got the claim processed. Drove away and all OK.

Within a week, EML back on. We were isolating at the time and then Xmas. Spoke to the service manager and said it was back on and this time the code was U05A3 invalid data received from reductant module. I said I googled it and it mentioned the Adblue sensor. He said we need to order another NOx sensor. Took his word for it. I could get a reading from the Adblue level now.

2 months later, the part is in stock and booked in for today. They fit the part and call me to say, sorry but EML is back on. So they fit the part without checking ? Now comes the killer line - we need to replace the Adblue tank complete and the bill will be £1750.

I have read that this is the going rate to do this. I am pretty frustrated now, obvs, that I went in for an £800 problem and I now have a £1700 problem. I said to the technician that this problem did not exist before you touched the car. He was very dismissive and said 'these things can happen'. Not buying it.

Is this worth taking up with Mercedes direct ? Or is it tough sh1t ? Thx

It is a common story on here I'm afraid. I am grateful to people like you sharing the stories because it has stopped me from buying a newer mercedes with adblue fitted. £1750 for an adblue sensor (ok with the tank but you only need the sensor) is a daft amount. I would take the car to an independent for a second opinion. If it is the same answer then I would be tempted to have the adblue system disabled. I say tempted because actually it is illegal, but the chances of being caught?

Thanks Smiley. I thought that would be the consensus. I know the risks of not extending the manufacturers warranty, but the bit that really grates me is that I now have a problem (more expensive) that I didn't have prior to Mercedes involvement.

It is a common story on here I'm afraid. I am grateful to people like you sharing the stories because it has stopped me from buying a newer mercedes with adblue fitted. £1750 for an adblue sensor (ok with the tank but you only need the sensor) is a daft amount. I would take the car to an independent for a second opinion. If it is the same answer then I would be tempted to have the adblue system disabled. I say tempted because actually it is illegal, but the chances of being caught?
I feel your pain, think it is high time that all these AdBlu & AdBlu related problems such as NOX sensors are reported to DVSA. If there are enough complaints they may be able to force MB into a recall. The system is obviously not fit for purpose & for the most part owners are being forced to foot the large bills. MB apparently have been struggling with this system for nigh on 10 years. If I have any more trouble, I am sorely tempted to have the system disabled (illegal I know) but as a pensioner I just won't be able to afford the crazy prices.

NOx sensors in general are on back order & I've read that some people waited up to 10 months for availability! So am concerned that EML will be on for that length of time. (EML cause is likely to be NOx sensor.) Several questions:
1) If anything else were to go wrong diagnostically, then that obv. wouldn't show ???
2) Also seen suggestions to get NOx sensors and AdBlue mapped out, but note Smiley's comment above about it being 'illegal' to disable AdBlue system. Am assuming 'mapping out' means disabling ...
3) Can I run car with damaged NOx sensor(s) w/o causing damage down the line
4) Wd mapping out sensors/AdBlue be picked up adversely in future MOTs
5) Wd mapping out affect any future sale of car?
6) Wd mapping out impact car insurance - be classified as a 'modification' which wd need to be notified to insurers ??

Am concerned that car may go into 'limp mode' & that AdBlue messages will flash up to say a limited amount of mileage is available (as seen on other posts) ...

Final question: is it better to deal with one question at a time (a bit like presenting issues to a GP) rather than overload one post ? Tia - as always !

Last edited:
NOx sensors in general are on back order & I've read that some people waited up to 10 months for availability! So am concerned that EML will be on for that length of time. (EML cause is likely to be NOx sensor.) Several questions:
1) If anything else were to go wrong diagnostically, then that obv. wouldn't show ??? I believe that is correct
2) Also seen suggestions to get NOx sensors and AdBlue mapped out, but note Smiley's comment above about it being 'illegal' to disable AdBlue system. Am assuming 'mapping out' means disabling ... Yes
3) Can I run car with damaged NOx sensor(s) w/o causing damage down the line Doubt that a non working sensor will damage something else but I suppose it could - most likely consequence would be higher emissions
4) Wd mapping out sensors/AdBlue be picked up adversely in future MOTs Possible that the car would not meet plated emissions but people seem to have done it and passed MOTs
5) Wd mapping out affect any future sale of car? Might increase its value if it has passed a MOT but not sure how to go about advertising an illegally modified car?
6) Wd mapping out impact car insurance - be classified as a 'modification' which wd need to be notified to insurers ?? You could ask them - you could also notify the DVLA that you have carried out a modification rendering the car illegal for use. :rolleyes:

Am concerned that car may go into 'limp mode' & that AdBlue messages will flash up to say a limited amount of mileage is available (as seen on other posts) ... Yep that is the added joy of a car with AdBlue......

Final question: is it better to deal with one question at a time (a bit like presenting issues to a GP) rather than overload one post ? Tia - as always !
If it starts to play on your mind too much then sell the car and buy a petrol or EV. Or an older diesel. On balance it is not a good idea to delete the adblue - it is going to end badly somehow in the end.

Thanks Smiley .... I found your embedded responses & appreciate that you addressed my questions ! I'll follow your advice & won't touch the AdBlue (for now - pending what I discover as I go along). Had to laugh when I read the bit about advising DVLA ! Am taking the car down to Portsmouth this w/e, so will have the benefit also of advice from PCS Horndean when I see them tomorrow - they are kindly checking over the oil sump & the rear prop shaft for me (which I mentioned in another post). ....
So very grateful for the quality of advice/knowledge one gets on this forum !

Just a thought - will de ionised water instead of Ad Blue in the tank 'fox' the system into thinking it's full ?

re: de-ionised water as a replacement for AdBlue : I'll put the idea to the indie tomorrow & see what their view is.
From what I've gathered so far, root cause of NOx issues is urban driving, exacerbated during lockdown periods, when
ppl were discouraged from distance driving.

Just a thought - will de ionised water instead of Ad Blue in the tank 'fox' the system into thinking it's full ?

Doesn't help if the tank was measured to be full. Nowadays sensors detect adblue concentration at the tank and older systems too would fail when the Nox figures would remain too high even if the maximum amount of adblue was injected.

The AdBlue fluid is injected into the cylinders to reduce emissions. If you put water in the tank then the fact of whether it thinks it is full or not will be the least of your worries.

The AdBlue fluid is injected into the cylinders to reduce emissions. If you put water in the tank then the fact of whether it thinks it is full or not will be the least of your worries.
The Adblue is injected into the exhaust, not the engine . . .

Same issue here , first Mercedes I’ve owned and it will most likely be the last too.EML on showing NOX sensor fault , random Adblue messages , local Mercedes dealer couldn’t look at it for a month so it’s just sitting outside the house. The warranty has conveniently expired 2 months ago so dealer is unsure if Mercedes will cover repairs from its “goodwill fund”. Perhaps if they built diesel cars capable of lasting more than 30,000 miles before grinding to a halt they wouldn’t need a goodwill fund. These issues are far to common , they should recall all affected vehicles and rectify the NOx sensor / Adblue issues. In all my years of motoring this is the most unreliable car I have ever owned , and this includes some real buckets !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom