NOx Sensors E400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmb007

Car
E400 Cab
I have seen many posts regarding EML problems and I would like to add my experience re this problem.

I have had problems since last Jan (2019) with the EML light being orange on my E400.

The selling MB dealer initially cleared the fault and that worked for about 3 months before the EML came back on.

It took the dealer a further 3 visits (over a period of 9 months) to individually change 2 NOx sensors and a temperature sensor.

I was told that all sensors had now been changed as there were only 3 to change. So that should be problem solved.

BUT I asked (as my warranty period was coming to an end) if these new sensors would be warranted for a further 12 months.

The answer was no.

At the beginning of May (20) the EML reappeared but being lockdown it would be middle of June before I could get an appointment. This was subsequently cancelled the day before and rebooked for 13/07/2020 at 10:00.

I turned up for appointment at 10:00. The place looked deserted so after waiting for 20 minutes and making enquiries with 3 other branches of the dealership by phone without success I returned home.

At 10:55 I received a text cancelling said appointment.

No further communication from said dealer to date.

So that afternoon(Monday) I visited another MB dealership who could look at the car that Friday.

Long story short there are 5 sensors not 3 on the E400.

My understanding of this is (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that there is a sensor at beginning of the exhaust system and at end
of the exhaust and a temperature sensor to activate system when up to temperature.

On the E400 it as a twin exhaust requiring 2 NOx sensors at the front and 2 at the rear plus temperature sensor.

So the new dealer replaced the sensors provide a 2020 C300 courtesy car and MB paid for the replaced sensors.

It remains to be seen whether the fix is permanent(long lasting) but I have more confidence with the new dealership to deal professionally and timely with any future problems.

Here's hoping I will not see that light for some time.

Regards
David

My sensors (4) and software update were all changed by MB dealer FOC.

Do you have warranty or MB full service history.

Name and Shame Dealer Number One! Skipton Mercedes part of Stratstone now closed.

Name and Acclaim Dealer Number Two! Marshalls Blackburn

I have a similar problem with an E400 and have been told I need to replace a sensor. I have found this supplier Buy Mercedes-Benz NOX Sensors | High Quality Nitrogen Oxide Sensors can anyone tell me which one I need?
Did you purchase the NoX sensor from this company? What's the feed back? They r selling genuine new merc sensor and mentioned no coding needed. Its cheaper than going to merc dealership however i m not sure how its £250 cheaper than dealer and not require a coding or software update

Did you purchase the NoX sensor from this company? What's the feed back? They r selling genuine new merc sensor and mentioned no coding needed. Its cheaper than going to merc dealership however i m not sure how its £250 cheaper than dealer and not require a coding or software update
I doubt you will get a reply as this thread is 3 years old but anyway those sensors look like generic ones so it's a 50/50 chance they will work.. try autodoc for oem parts but there's always an option to delete the adblue if costs add up and go way over the delete cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom