NRS Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That site is just looking for bad press for other pad manufacturers, a poor sales technique.

It appears to collect nutters...

POSTED BY BikerBill on Do It Yourself forum

For reasons I don’t understand the brake pads delaminate on my Audi A4 after several years use. It happened to the OEM pads and now the replacement Mintex Red Box pads are doing the same thing. The friction material separates from the steel back plate. The friction pad is captive within the caliper cage so the brakes still function, but if you brake going backwards and then brake going forward you can hear a clunk/click as the friction pad moves back and forth and hits against the caliper cage.

I probably have 6 or 7 mm of friction material remaining. So I’m wondering if I can just re-cement the friction material to the metal backer plate again. When I looked at the OEM pads after this happened before it appeared that the original adhesive didn’t fail. Rather, some of the friction material tore out of the body of the friction pad, so I was left with a few divots pulled out of the friction pad (and matching bumps of friction material on the steel back plate).

Does anyone know what kind of structural adhesives are used in brake pads and if it’s available on the open market? Obviously it needs to have high shear strength and good temperature handling capability. I figure if I try this and it fails I’m no worse off than I am right now. The friction pad will still be captive in the caliper cage and I’ll hear the clunk again when braking after changing directions. Then I’ll know my little experiment failed and I’ll have to buy new brake pads. I don’t see much risk in trying this.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work? What adhesive did you use?

I didn't know that the squeak was caused by the adhesive between the pad and the backplate weakening anyway... but I'm sure if the whole thing is remedied by a set of mini-hooks then surely this must've been thought of before?

I never get squeaky brakes anyway, my braking style is all or nothing i never ride the brake pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom