NSFW: Weinstein

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

We've all been shocked by revelations of Weinstein's behaviour over recent weeks, but it's the extent of his actions over decades that have amazed me. The number of women he has assaulted is astounding and begs the question how come it's taken 'til now for all this to come out.

Sky published an article (Tuesday 19th Dec) listing 50+ women known to have come forward - here's a gruesome excerpt from Erika Rosenbaum, Actress:

skynews-erika-rosenbaum-weinstein_4137878.jpg

"He brought me into the bathroom. I don't remember what I said, if I said anything at all. I think I was too afraid to say anything.

"He held me by the back of the neck and had me face the mirror and said, 'I just want to look at you,' and then he started masturbating behind me.

"He was holding me by the back of the neck and looking right into my face. I remember seeing my own face in the mirror and I just could not believe I was standing there.

"I could not believe that I had let this happen. I felt incredibly guilty."​

And also this week, Peter Jackson claimed Weinstein orchestrated a smear campaign against 2 actresses during casting for Lord of the Rings.

In an industry known for its use of the 'casting couch', isn't this just the tip of the iceberg? - and I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of woman have been subjected to this and worse, suffering in silence. It seems that US and UK libel law treats such cases differently according to the BBC, which might explain why we've seen less folks speaking out over here:

Why so many sexual harassment cases in US, not UK?

This is a unpleasant case, and despite being in the "off topic" section I wonder if its a suitable subject for discussion?
I don't feel comfortable discussing any aspect of the allegations.

You may have a point. I'm sure the mods will do what they think's right - presumably after removing all the Saville and similar threads?.

But either way, if folks feel uncomfortable, let's dump it.

It makes me feel dirty rather than uncomfortable. - I see no need to close down any discussion/comment.

So, are we comparing Bruce Millar's inflatable Santa with Weinstein I wonder?

You may have a point. I'm sure the mods will do what they think's right - presumably after removing all the Saville and similar threads?.

But either way, if folks feel uncomfortable, let's dump it.

Now then now then.

Cool to keep it open at the mo, tread carefully though :)

"He brought me into the bathroom. I don't remember what I said, if I said anything at all. I think I was too afraid to say anything.

"He held me by the back of the neck and had me face the mirror and said, 'I just want to look at you,' and then he started masturbating behind me.

"He was holding me by the back of the neck and looking right into my face. I remember seeing my own face in the mirror and I just could not believe I was standing there.

"I could not believe that I had let this happen. I felt incredibly guilty."

Wow, this is absolutely horrid. I can’t believe someone could be so utterly disgusting .... he clearly has no respect at all for women....:(

I’d rather make my judgement after the courts are happy they’ve gotten all of the facts.

he clearly has no respect at all for women....:(

Or himself... ?

Wow, this is absolutely horrid. I can’t believe someone could be so utterly disgusting ....

This is quite close to my heart given my wife (who works in TV) was assaulted by a guy a few years ago - nowhere near as bad as the above, but it did make her and others, who experienced same, from the same person, very upset and untrusting. He wrapped his behaviour in the touchy, feely, lovey actions still prevalent in the Film & TV industries. It was reported to HR, but by this time the person was working his notice - she never did find out whether this was induced, or unrelated.

What I find really sad is that these poor victims chose to put the pursuit of fame and fortune before the exposure of that vile creature.

I would offer that many of these behaviours stem from a need to dominate and control other individuals. This may often take the form of sexual assault but that's not the primary driver. It's why its often manifest in individuals who through rank, position, money and power at various levels of society enjoy practicing this type of behaviour in non sex related spheres of their life also. Their position also helps them cover it up in the event of subsequent challenge. :dk:

The whole Weinstein saga is so contemptible. Rich, powerful, well connected and a controlling sexual predator.

Sadly not the first and even more sad, not the last of his type. Not restricted to powerful men either, there have been cases where powerful women have similarly exploited/controlled others inappropriately. Some people seem to enjoy controlling others using whatever means are available to them. The morality of their actions just passes them by. All we can hope for is that the actions of these people become accurately exposed to the wider community and that social justice prevails leading in turn to greater transparency and changes in behaviour.

In the long term it would be nice to think that this sort of thing will vanish from society, but the reality is that sexual exploitation of others will continue as long as humans are driven by sexual desires.

What I find really sad is that these poor victims chose to put the pursuit of fame and fortune before the exposure of that vile creature.
When someone has devoted a significant portion of their life to becoming an actor, singer, dancer, etc. often with support and sacrifice from those around them, I think they are very unwilling to give up on that objective. It's not necessarily about fame and fortune, it's also about wanting to work, perform and express yourself at a professional level. Fame and fortune are for many, icing on the cake.

Given that so many of their peers will have been subject to the 'casting couch', I wouldn't be surprised if putting up with the likes of Weinstein is/was widely considered as a distressing but necessary part of the process to gain access to opportunities. It shouldn't be of course, and from now on may be less prevalent than before.

When someone has devoted a significant portion of their life to becoming an actor, singer, dancer, etc. often with support and sacrifice from those around them, I think they are very unwilling to give up on that objective. It's not necessarily about fame and fortune, it's also about wanting to work, perform and express yourself at a professional level. Fame and fortune are for many, icing on the cake.

Given that so many of their peers will have been subject to the 'casting couch', I wouldn't be surprised if putting up with the likes of Weinstein is/was widely considered as a distressing but necessary part of the process to gain access to opportunities. It shouldn't be of course, and from now on may be less prevalent than before.

Sad indictment of the world these people inhabit- and obviously not confined to the arts either. You suspect that the Weinsteins of this world are quite pathetic and inadequate individuals under all the bravado.

Sad indictment of the world we inhabit- and obviously not confined to the arts either. One suspects that the Weinsteins of this world are quite pathetic and inadequate individuals under all the bravado.

FIFY... ;)

As a slight aside this whole business brought back memories from the late 70's. My mate worked in a large office with a huge typing pool. He managed to get his sister who was about 20 at the time a job there. She was a tiny blond and never worked before and an easy target for one particular obnoxious middle manager who had a terrible reputation with the girls. Needless to say he tried it on with sister. What he didn't know was that sister's partner was a 6 foot female skinhead whose favourite attire was steel capped Docs and a pair of engraved knuckle dusters and enjoyed a good fist fight at Elland Road. She cornered this manager in the company car park and proceeded to beat the carp out of him. Made him swallow some teeth and broke a few ribs. Manager was too ashamed to admit being beaten by a girl and told everyone he had been in a car crash but word got around.... It was only sometime later that people found out that when he got out of hospital, his wife set about him with his favourite golf clubs breaking all his stitches. I only heard recently that both girls are still together and sisters partner who is well into her 60's still wears Docs but not the knuckle dusters due to arthritis.

I would offer that many of these behaviours stem from a need to dominate and control other individuals.
their position also helps them cover it up in the event of subsequent challenge. :dk:

Yes, I do believe it's a control thing, certainly with the example I quoted above.

And yes, I suspect there's many hundreds of thousands of individuals who've felt too intimidated to complain, and or consequently received a pay off, coupled to non disclosure.

The morality of their actions just passes them by.

I think you are being kind - aren't you actually describing a psychopath? Or at least someone with psychopathic tendencies.

In the long term it would be nice to think that this sort of thing will vanish from society, but the reality is that sexual exploitation of others will continue as long as humans are driven by sexual desires.

Isn't it any animal that relies on mixed gene reproduction?

As a slight aside this whole business brought back memories from the late 70's. My mate worked in a large office with a huge typing pool. He managed to get his sister who was about 20 at the time a job there. She was a tiny blond and never worked before and an easy target for one particular obnoxious middle manager who had a terrible reputation with the girls. Needless to say he tried it on with sister. What he didn't know was that sister's partner was a 6 foot female skinhead whose favourite attire was steel capped Docs and a pair of engraved knuckle dusters and enjoyed a good fist fight at Elland Road. She cornered this manager in the company car park and proceeded to beat the carp out of him. Made him swallow some teeth and broke a few ribs. Manager was too ashamed to admit being beaten by a girl and told everyone he had been in a car crash but word got around.... It was only sometime later that people found out that when he got out of hospital, his wife set about him with his favourite golf clubs breaking all his stitches. I only heard recently that both girls are still together and sisters partner who is well into her 60's still wears Docs but not the knuckle dusters due to arthritis.

yes.... my son was 'duffed up' in a Coventry nightclub last year. He was dancing with a girl until her female partner turned up. She set about him and being a good lad he didn't respond. Didn't stop the bouncers having at go at him for picking on a girl though - even though she was the one kicking and scratching him. Weird.

I think you are being kind - aren't you actually describing a psychopath? Or at least someone with psychopathic tendencies?

Isn't it any animal that relies on mixed gene reproduction?

I are an engineer and don't know enough about psychology to say whether or not I'm describing a psychopath, so you may well be correct.

You're also probably right about the mixed gene reproduction thing too.

Focusing on Mr. Weinstein may be a mistake....

Hollywood would happily sacrifice a few of its prominent players to draw attention away from the fact that this is an old practice that has been going on since the early days of cinema making in the 1930'.

But it's not just Hollywood... it's films and TV and show business in general.

Some offered themselves to directors and producers, some were assaulted or even raped, but either way the entire industry was largely male-dominated and evolved around sex for the past 80 years.

Take young aspiring people who are eager to embark on an acting career that could make them world famous and earn millions... take rich and powerful middle-aged men who know what these young people want and have the power to give it to them if they so decide... and the resulting abuse is almost inevitable.

Some serious soul searching is needed, well beyong (rightly) prosecuting those few and recent cases who we happen to know about.

Last edited:
I think you are being kind - aren't you actually describing a psychopath? Or at least someone with psychopathic tendencies.
I’d say more sociopaths than psychopathic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom