NSFW: Weinstein

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What an inappropriate remark

Depends whether you recognise that women have always climbed over other women by the abuse of their own power, to win prizes by unfair, unethical or inappropriate means.

Simply put, the tradition goes back way beyond Grace Kelly, climbing her way through The Philadelphia Story, To Catch a Thief, to the ultimate prize of becoming Princess Grace of Monaco.

Yes, we certainly shouldn't let me do it. BUT we should absolutely be certain that women have always deliberately misused their own power in this way.

We're grown ups. We know it happens / happened. Let's not kid ourselves that it's a one way street.

Grace-Kelly-y-Alfred-Hitchcock-8-WEB-Feb.jpg

Fourthly, I have serious reservations about judging the behaviour and culture of decades ago by the standards of today, and I suspect that a fair proportion of what is now being touted as deeply offensive was not seen as more than a minor irritation back then.
I share your reservations wholeheartedly. As my wife said the other day while watching a program about ancient Rome, "Any time soon, I'm fully expecting to read demands for an apology by the Italians for what their ancestors did to the Syrian slaves".

I think the problem is that somehow or another, a "failure" to overtly condemn or apologise for actions committed long ago that by today's standards are viewed as being unacceptable is seen as some form of tacit acceptance that those actions were right and proper, when it is nothing of the sort. It is a similar trap to judging the actions of those from a different culture domiciled in a different part of the world by your own norms. Both lead to stupid outcomes.

This is not unique to Entertainment. Over the last thirty years, I've seen young ladies better themselves through discreet liaisons in the IT Industry (Hardware and Software), Consultancy, Advertising, the big Medical Insurers, Hospitals, Teaching / Schools, Brokerage outfits, Car retailers, and major international banks from several different countries and continents. Usually around Sales, Marketing, Consulting, HR and General Management, but the Heads of Operations have their own modest pleasures. People with Power and Money have influence. Much to the annoyance of their colleagues, both male and female. Some float on to better things, and others crash and burn.

(OK, this monologue is not quite "Tears in the Rain" by Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner, but you know what I mean.)

BR-edb0bf4.jpg

I’d rather make my judgement after the courts are happy they’ve gotten all of the facts.
Why focus on the perversions of Hollywood, when Germany's $18 billion (sic) prostitution industry and sex clubs are full of WAY more curious behaviours?

We are the MBclub.co.uk after all. Germany is our spiritual home.

It's fascinating to hear the Weinstein disclosures but seriously, does anyone think that Frank Sinatra didn't have even more exciting stories to tell?

Let alone George Clooney, Rod Stewart et al...

America: full of contradictions.

pt_rod_0206_ent-lead__200x277.jpg

(Apologies for the simple Rod photo - "other images are available.")

Isnt it because more women have finally come forward and women now feel more empowered.

Isnt it because more women have finally come forward and women now feel more empowered.

Which may, or may not, be genuine, and which may, or may not be revenge for not getting the parts and preferment that they were hoping for.

One thing that is certain, however, is that people like Oprah and Meryl certainly knew all that these things have happened for the last thirty years (and longer) and are now using this for a political end. Oprah for 2020 ? It'll be interesting to see who's daft enough - unless Trump gets chucked out and it becomes a campaign against a fresh Republican.

A fresh witch hunt is good. It's a long time since McCarthy. Let's hope there's some evidence and not too many suicides along the way - this time.

One thing that is certain, however, is that people like Oprah and Meryl certainly knew all that these things have happened for the last thirty years (and longer) and are now using this for a political end.

The above is true and does not sit well with me. What they seem to be encouraging is a herding mentality. This does not it make it less of a crime or less wrong (I see no degrees of wrongness here). But it seems like many in Hollywood are alarmed at Streep's sudden "Do Good" portrayal of herself. When it is said that she was closer to HW than most but was also party to many of these women's complaints over the years. She elected then to remain silent!! Now, it appears that she is emboldened by the emergence of these brave but no so famous actresses she suddenly wants to assume the role of Champion, ignoring her own silence over the years. Her silence makes her as guilty as those she now decries.

I don’t like them cashing in either, but by the same measure, not sure folks are guilty just by being aware. Unless you are suggesting they were complicit?

I don’t like them cashing in either, but by the same measure, not sure folks are guilty just by being aware. Unless you are suggesting they were complicit?

Chris

I cannot say they were complicit (I suspect not) but knowledge could and may be seen by many as complicit.

I knew he was doing it and it was going on but my silence distances me, so don’t point at me. Now that others have spoken out and are garnering support for doing so, I won’t stay silent anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not pointing the finger at you or anybody else Bruce.

What troubles me is why something hasn’t been done about this before - especially considering celebrities have made it to very high office in the US. Were they not aware?

A lot more to come out in the wash I reckon.

It's good that these things are coming out in the wash. The onus is now on us to apply some reasonable requirements for evidence, ask serious questions about why these points weren't raised before and to put reasonable performance standards on people going forward.

We know that FDR, Ike, Kennedy, LBJ, Bush Senior, and Clinton had affairs while in Office, and throughout their entire careers, and that their support staff and wives knew about it. And likewise we know that senior BBC, Movie, Royal and Fashion staff did the same. Let's not kid ourselves and suddenly shout "Rape" when yet another Bill Clinton story emerges twenty years after the event. But we can certainly create an environment where Good Ole Bill and his Wife can't get away with the affairs and suicides going forward that they did twenty years ago. (Although Lord knows where they get the energy).

Do Pop stars have lively sex lives? Yes: but should we be asking every blonde to sign a form before receiving a kiss?

pt_rod_0206_ent-lead__200x277.jpg

Personally I am bored with the lot of them, who cares? I don’t.

Let them get on with sorting it out but do it quietly and thoroughly and I do not want to hear about it. I am fed up with luvvies who think they know better than we do and have to impart their knowledge on to us minions

American lawyers have always paved the way in legal creativity when it come to civil law suits.

Careful you just might be talking about the next democratic presidential candidate 2020? ;)
New York’s Attorney General in Battle With Trump
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom