NSL not high enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Just come across this petition,

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171341

Seems unlikely that it would ever be reailised, but I guess makes sense!

Be interesting to see what you guys think and the governments response...

Abs

Why is it that those opinionated enough to create these petitions, always have the spelling and grammar skills of an 8 year old? :dk:

Why is it that those opinionated enough to create these petitions, always have the spelling and grammar skills of an 8 year old? :dk:

No idea :D rushing perhaps? Hence explains why they want a higher speed limit too?

A good majority of people drive well above 70mph anyway

80mph, as promised by Cameron in his first manifesto, would have been a more attainable limit to petition for.

Then we could all happily do 90mph under the 10% + 2 rule :bannana:

Yep I agree 70 is too low, in reality it should be however fast you deem safe... however I also understand that some people's judgment cannot be trusted by the looks of the way I've seen some people drive around

80mph, as promised by Cameron in his first manifesto, would have been a more attainable limit to petition for.

Then we could all happily do 90mph under the 10% + 2 rule :bannana:

Exactly, could you explain the 10% rule? Is this actually proven hmm maybe this is how everyone overtakes me when I'm going 50 through a 50 camera... haha

I'm sure it was written in the police chief inspectors handbook for prosecution than the guideline was to allow for 10%+2mph. So for example on a motorway the limit for prosecution is 70(Limit)+7(10%)+2mph so you'd have to be going over 79mph before prosecution.

But it is only a guideline and police forces can if they wish prosecute for anything over the speed limit.

I don't see the need to rush about like a lot want to so i'm happy enough with the cruise control set to 70 and something relaxing on the radio ;)

Last edited:
"The 70mph speed limit on UK motorways was introduced in 1966. since then the technology and safety features of cars has come on considerably. it is now time to embrace this change and accept that it is safe for cars to drive at this speed. it will also help to reduce congestion on motorways."

Vehicles may have improved , but the standard of driving has generally become lower ; that , combined with greater traffic density , if anything , would make a stronger case for reducing speed limits , not increasing them .

Yes , some quiet roads may well be suitable for higher speeds with all circumstances favourable , but unfortunately the government tends to legislate for the lowest common denominator .

When we have drivers who can't even put their lights on as it gets dark ( and I see many of these EVERY night ) , how can we trust the general motoring populace to drive faster and remain safe ?

"The 70mph speed limit on UK motorways was introduced in 1966. since then the technology and safety features of cars has come on considerably. it is now time to embrace this change and accept that it is safe for cars to drive at this speed. it will also help to reduce congestion on motorways."

Vehicles may have improved , but the standard of driving has generally become lower ; that , combined with greater traffic density , if anything , would make a stronger case for reducing speed limits , not increasing them .

Yes , some quiet roads may well be suitable for higher speeds with all circumstances favourable , but unfortunately the government tends to legislate for the lowest common denominator .

When we have drivers who can't even put their lights on as it gets dark ( and I see many of these EVERY night ) , how can we trust the general motoring populace to drive faster and remain safe ?

I think in variable zones, when the roads are clear, they should increase the limits as well as how they lower them when they are congested... should work both ways right? Its mostly a money case at the end of the day...

I remember driving from Manchester to London in the 1974 at a steady 90MPH all the way. It was perfectly safe even in a 70's car but the traffic density these days would make it unsafe much of the time. There are so few opportunities of a clear road and bearing in mind that high seventies is already the motorway norm, I don't see the NSL getting raised.

I'm sure it was written in the police chief inspectors handbook for prosecution than the guideline was to allow for 10%+2mph. So for example on a motorway the limit for prosecution is 70(Limit)+7(10%)+2mph so you'd have to be going over 79mph before prosecution.
Some of them (North Wales comes to mind) claim to have a "zero tolerance" approach to speeding, so if you're doing 1-2mph over the limit, you're still exceeding the speed limit.

I don't know how it works in practice, but I'd be tempted to try to defend that one on the grounds of analytical error.

A great many others drive poorly , both above and below 70mph !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom