NTG 1 Audio 20 upgrade options on S211 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
I have bought a 2007 S211 with what appears to be a basic NTG1 Audio 20 unit. (FM / MW / Single CD, with NO Aux input.

Like the world and his dog, I'd like to achieve at least a (convenient) AUX in, or more ideally, a streaming Bluetooth music connection.

I am not bothered about SatNav as I prefer the constantly updated SatNav on my iPhone.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience to share on how best to proceed?

Unclear whether I should do some kind of MB upgrade or just jump ship to an all-singing, all-dancing Kenwood / Alpine / CarPlay provider.

fullsizeoutput_1af2.jpeg

Should I be considering using some kind of Viseoo unit in the central arm rest to stream the phone and music?

With the audio 20 you are pretty much stuck with the basic factory job. I have waiting to be fitted a Pioneer AVIC 910 DAB unit, this about as all singing all dancing as you can get. With all the fitting bits n pieces, reverse cam, new bee sting antenna, wiring looms etc I am up to £1100.00 without any fitting costs, so I can add another £150.00 for the fitting.

you can get a Bluetooth to FM adapter ( cheap and chearful).
I had one of theose and used the mentioned solution until I got a NTG2.5. Personally I would NOT go down the route of a cheap Android as they normally do not sound very good.
I am also a sucker for OEM look / integration and having had a Pioneer App radio, I did not like the look of it so changed back to the NTG2.5... which looks really good

Thanks for those comments. I certainly won't plough a grand into the car to achieve this.

The bluetooth FM adaptor is certainly an idea. I don't know how the quality is doing these days, but it would be good enough. I have a Belkin Bluetooth Aircast which has a wired connection into the AUX input on my 535d touring and the quality is fine.

I probably shouldn't say this, but if I want good quality music while I'm driving five or six hours i'm more likely to reach for my gently noise cancelling earbuds - they're phenomenal.

The one that that has decent audio quality and only costs 15 quid ( quite small as well and I put it on the 12v in the boot so it is out of sight)

Link - > https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NI8JL0/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I in the processor of fitting better quality speakers in mine and also an old school Audison amp and most likely a bit one.. Car is all soundeded and fo far I am still below 500 GBP..

61yhdNt8uDL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for this. I was wondering about these FM broadcasters but couldn't find one with a market lead.

And it's useful to know that you put it in the boot - that hadn't occurred to me.

The one that that has decent audio quality and only costs 15 quid ( quite small as well and I put it on the 12v in the boot so it is out of sight)
Link - > https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NI8JL0/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
I in the processor of fitting better quality speakers in mine and also an old school Audison amp and most likely a bit one.. Car is all soundeded and fo far I am still below 500 GBP..

With regards to putting the adaptor out of sight in the boot, does it still get a decent signal under the steel lid (or is there a seperate line for aerial?), and how do you change channels?

You could put the NTG 2.5 audio-20 unit in from the 2009 W211. This has bluetooth phone integrated so it works with your steering wheel controls and cluster, plus it has AUX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom