NTG 2.5 Failed hard drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hector66

Car
E280 CDI
Hi All.
New to the site and not the best on using forums so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place or someone has already asked the questions..... I have a E280 2009 with a NTG2.5 that has failed been in for a repair and told that the hard drive has failed they tryed to copy the data on to a new hard drive but said that some of the files were curupet and it's stuck in a boot loop. Does any one know if you can get a new hard drive or any recommendation for someone who could my be fix it any help would be great thanks

Welcome to the Forum

It sounds as though the company are out of their depth with this. How do they know there are corrupt files?

Try giving Comand on Line a call. They are Forum sponsors and experts in MB Audio and other electronics.

Comand Online Ltd
58 Guildford Road
Lightwater
Surrey
GU18 5SD
United Kingdom
01276 451579

Link here : Catalog

Thanks for the info I've just called them. The woman said to email them with all the imfo I've got and they'll get back to me hopefully they'll come up trumps.... Think the local audio shop just put it on a shelf keept it for 5 weeks said it can't be fix but could put an aftermarket one in for me at a cost of £1000 they also charged me £96 for the privilege... I'm thinking maybe there coning me or am I being to cynical......

Comand.co.uk can put a new drive in for you.

The issue is that to put a new drive in you may well need to update the firmware on the COMAND and that has to be done whilst unit is in the car.

They are special Automotive hard drives. (they spin slower, generate less heat, and are more tolerant to vibration) and formatted specially with the map data all installed.

Cheers

Richard

I did wonder how HDD issues were dealt with in a car.
Are more modern units using SSD drives now?

They seem to still use hard disks. They are pretty reliable, although we've begun to see more systems fail at about 6 years old recently

The trouble is that most car manufacturers do not sell replacement Hard Disks .... and when they do they charge mega money because they are not a high volume product like the PC versions of the drive.

I once sat next to the person at Seagate responsible for Automotive Hard Disks on a short flight - I found that very interesting :)

Cheers
Richard

SSD's still aren't as reliable as HDs.

We have 1000s in racks at work and the failure rate far exceeds those of the old mechanical hds

Thanks Richard I'll book my car in and get it sorted hopefully you work on Saturdays save taking day off work I've emailed you to get the car booked in asap Thanks for your help and the info much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom