NTG 2 pin outs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazBrown

Car
ML320 CDI
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2008 ML (W164) and i'm in the process of upgrading the head unit to a Dynavin N6. I need some help, does anyone have the pin outs for the original NTG 2 head unit ? The car also has a rear entertainment package, H&K system, reverse cam and a 6 disc changer. If anyone has any wiring diagrams for these also, that would be much appreciated.

I have tried searching for previous post on the subject but can't find anything (maybe i'm using the wrong search words ?) so sorry if this info is already posted elsewhere.

Would such info be available from the WIS/EPC website if i join ?

Thanks in-advance

Gaz.

This is from memory, so incomplete.. Also, last time I looked at Dynavin they were absolutely utterly rubbish. I believe there have been improvements since, but I still find my self removing them from customer's cars regularly.

The reverse camera is just a normal NTSC camera, i.e select reverse, you will get a NTSC video feed on the green fakra coax. Check Dynavin can cope with NTSC camera, it almost certainly can.

Your problems are the rear entertainment and the HK and CD changer. The HK and CDC are connected via fibre optic to the head unit using MOST protocol. You will have to get a converter from RCA -> MOST to run this, or extensive rewiring choosing which speakers you want to work (or better still putting in an aftermarket multi-channel amplifier). This stuff is under the left hand seat and requires lots of disassembly to get to. CDC will not work as Dynavin will have no idea what it is.

Edit - Dynavin seem to now have a MOST converter box for talking to the HK amp, so use theirs rather than some other make.

There are no speaker wires on the back of the head unit as you have HK and HK has more channels then the Dynavin has.

I am not sure the rear entertainment will work without the COMAND, so please try disconnecting COMAND and testing the rear entertainment. The RSE controller (with the DVD slot) is sat on the main CANbus (and has another private CANbus to the TV tuner (for control), the two sceens) - so it may actually work.

Yes, WIS has the wiring diagrams.

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Richard.

Yeah i have done a fair bit of research before choosing this unit. From what i gather, the old Dynavin units (D99) were rubbish and the new N6 platform is ok. That said the N6 still seems to be a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. Only time will tell which side of the fence i'm on i guess.

Is the green definitely the reverse cam ? This forum seem to state otherwise and mercupgrades.com just state the geen fakra is video input.

http://http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/2375585-avin-avant-2-w164-x164-installation.html

The rear entertainment system seems to work with the HU removed with the exception of not being able to play the sound over the cars speakers which is to be expected.

I have purchased the MOST box with the head unit.

I want to try and use the factory fitted mic and rev cam if possible as it will save lots of work/money fitting the Dynavin/aftermarket ones. Hence i need to know the pin outs so i can modify the correct cables as the no doubt the fakra/RCA and normal pins will not be correct for the N6

Last edited:
Is the green definitely the reverse cam ? This forum seem to state otherwise and mercupgrades.com just state the geen fakra is video input.

Yes. If you have TV its used for Video, if you have Reverse camera its used for reverse camera. If you have both its complicated because the reverse camera connects to the AUX on the TV tuner and the head unit tells the TV tuner to switch to reverse via the MOST bus - which you won't have. Note also the dynavin MOST requires you to bypass all MOST control units except the amp. You can have, Phone, CDC, Linguatronic, TV

You didn't mention TV, but if you have it you need to extend the cable from the boot to the new head unit (its a phono plug in the boot plugged into TV tuner which is in the left side of the boot.

> The rear entertainment system seems to work with the HU removed with the > exception of not being able to play the sound over the cars speakers which > is to be expected.

Should be able to connect it to AUX in on the Dynavin ! Its connected to one of those 12way subconnectors in the quadlock (they use MQS contacts, I don't know whats on a a dynavin)

> I want to try and use the factory fitted mic and rev cam if possible as it will
Mics (2 or 4 of them in the mirror) connect to phone controller under the rear seat.

I'll let you obtain circuit diagrams, that will give you the wiring

Richard

Noticed the link did not work, try this one. Go to page 2 of the thread
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/2375585-avin-avant-2-w164-x164-installation.html
Yes. If you have TV its used for Video, if you have Reverse camera its used for reverse camera. If you have both its complicated because the reverse camera connects to the AUX on the TV tuner and the head unit tells the TV tuner to switch to reverse via the MOST bus - which you won't have. Note also the dynavin MOST requires you to bypass all MOST control units except the amp. You can have, Phone, CDC, Linguatronic, TV

So as i wont be using the tv tuner, if i disconnect it from the system, will the reverse cam signal just come come through the fakra as normal ?

Will simply disconnecting the cables at the tv tuner, CDC, IPOD cable and phone work or do i need to do something else to bypass them ?

I've signed up to the members club so should have access to the EPC/WIS soon :thumb:

Last edited:
OK so i decided against using the factory fitted cam and mic and decided to use the one supplied in the kit.

I now need to supply power to the reverse camera. The instruction say to take this from the reverse light power. I tried to find this by disconnecting the plug to the passenger side tail unit and checking each pin for voltage with only the reverse lights on. This revealed that all pins had 12V? Does anyone know which pinis the reverse light and how come they all have voltage ?

I've read on another post for a different model (C class) that i should actually be taking power from the rear sam. Does this apply to the ML, if so why and where on the sam do you take the power from ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom