NTG 4.5 Firmware Upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulybhoy

Does anyone know anything about a firmware update for the NTG 4.5?
I noticed that the newer W204 AMG sport plus's have an updated menu display which appears to have a different colour scheme, can all NTG 4.5's be updated to include this newer menu display? I've attached some pics to show what I mean.

Cheers

Attachments

• image-991814167.jpg
    image-991814167.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3185213430.jpg
    image-3185213430.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 141
I would like to know too. My 2012 C63 is going in for a service next week and I'll ask for it to be done if it's possible.

I don't know if it can be retrospectively applied

My car is a July 2012 car and is the face lifted, face lifted one

it has the new colour scheme, you will note I say face lifted twice, its not a mistake, the first face lift was new front lights, the second is, sport grille on all models, new colour scheme and no blue efficiency badges on the wings

its not just the radio, the clocks are different as well

Good stuff. Let me know how you get on please. Had my car in for a service recently and assumed it would be upgraded when they did the maps update for me, but unfortunately it was still the same when I drove away. Guess I should of asked them to do all available updates?

Cheers

Good stuff. Let me know how you get on please. Had my car in for a service recently and assumed it would be upgraded when they did the maps update for me, but unfortunately it was still the same when I drove away. Guess I should of asked them to do all available updates?

Cheers

I asked the same question on here for my e class coupe and was informed its more than the firmware update.
No idea what's involved though.
The new red/black layout looks far better than the boring old man brown on beige it currently has.

e350cdi said:
The new red/black layout looks far better than the boring old man brown on beige it currently has.

Haha! Couldn't agree more, hopefully it can be done

I asked and my dealer said that software is not supported. Interested to hear what response others get.

Sean_250 said:
I asked and my dealer said that software is not supported. Interested to hear what response others get.

Cheers Sean_250
I'm gonna give mine a shout soon, I've got an issue with the iPod integration port in the armrest compartment.

They changed the cable when in for a service recently, but the same issue happens with the iPod cutting in when listening to the radio. It's as if there's a short in the cabling somewhere.

Will give me an excuse to ask them about this updated display

Does the brown display version have a USB port in the armrest ?

The MY2012 head units have different part numbers to the MY2013 head units.

Cheers

Richard

richard said:
Does the brown display version have a USB port in the armrest ?

The MY2012 head units have different part numbers to the MY2013 head units.

Cheers

Richard

Yes Richard,
It's got the USB, media and aux jack in the armrest compartment

Cheers

So am I right in thinking that if its got the USB as well as the proprietary lead connector then it is upgradeable?

mine will be in for a service in the next couple of weeks so I will see if they can do it!!

pos.k said:
So am I right in thinking that if its got the USB as well as the proprietary lead connector then it is upgradeable?

mine will be in for a service in the next couple of weeks so I will see if they can do it!!

Not sure? Think it might be done through some sort of OBD port instead?

Telematics firmware updates are done with Star Diagnosis (connected to the diagnostics port) AND a firmware update disk which Star Diagnosis tells you which disk to put in the drive.

The reason it is like this, is that diagnosis is done over CANbus, which runs at about 125Kbps. This is no where near fast enough to send a whole head-units worth of software in any decent time, so the disk is put in the head unit's disk drive, and it sends the firmware to other audio system related components as it connects to those over the fast fibre optic audio network (MOST).

Mercedes are very good at their "model year" differentiators - they want you to buy a new car.

Given that, I'd be surprised if the MY2013 'look and feel' can be applied to a MY2012 car.

But, saying that, I haven't looked at the firmware on the disk to see if there is different firmware for the MY12 vs MY13 head units. If it was the same firmware, then I would expect it may be possible to change it via the engineering mode after the unit is upgraded to the latest firmware.

I recall that there was new firmware (telematics disks) issued with the 01/2013 Star Diagnosis release, so that would be what you should ask your MB dealer to check.

Richard

Cheers Richard.
I had my maps updated recently, would they usually do a Telematics update too, or would I need to ask for that separately?

Cheers

I had my car serviced at MB Brooklands just over a week ago and although all maps were updated they couldn't do anything about updating the "look" from MY2012 to MY2013. If it's possible I would definitely be interested. Come on Richard, you can do it!! :rock::bannana:

Giving this a nudge as I would really like to know if an update is possible. Surely the hardware has not changed so it's purely a software thing?! Come on you experts out there!

The hardware may well have changed. Star diagnosis forces you to install the correct firmware disk. So even if you somehow made a disk that installed the my2013 version on a my2012 head unit you risk destroying the head unit with firmware that doesn't work.

It won't be long before there are my2013 units on eBay from those who added comand so then you can probably just swop the unit.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom