NTG 4 Not playing iTunes files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OJLane

Car
E350d, E350 CDI sold on at 357,000 miles, C270 is sadly no longer with us, chewed a glow plug :-(
Hi all, I have recently purchased a 2009 E350 cdi with the NTG 4 comand unit. I have many tracks purchased on iTunes however the unit will only play tunes ripped from CDs and nothing that was purchased through iTunes which is quite frustrating. I have also tried Bluetooth streaming from iPhone 6 but with no success, when I access streaming from the audio menu the unit displays 'connection unsuccessful' I also have the same issue with a Sony Experia running Android however Bluetooth calling is perfect with both.

Does anyone know if I need to convert the files to a different format to play them or is it a copyright protection thing that means I will have to buy an old iPod to keep in the glovebox to be able to play my music?

Last edited:
iTunes give you files in a horrid format, I'm not entirely clued up on the cars flexibility with file types but to save time I'd just convert them to MP3

Think the only album I've ever purchased from there was Dr Dre's latest album, and only because that's the only platform he released it on :doh: Otherwise I steer clear of iTunes altogether

Best person to ask for compatibility on the audio system is Richard from Comand on here

http://comand.co.uk

I don't think it will natively play DRM-encoded files from iTunes. An iPod will.

Another method *may* be to burn the iTunes music to Audio CD, rather than as data files (not tried this though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both, I will try to convert the files somehow, I have recently started purchasing from 7 digital which seems to work well. I had not considered CDs due to their capacity.

Hi all, I have recently purchased a 2009 E350 cdi with the NTG 4 comand unit. I have many tracks purchased on iTunes however the unit will only play tunes ripped from CDs and nothing that was purchased through iTunes which is quite frustrating. I have also tried Bluetooth streaming from iPhone 6 but with no success, when I access streaming from the audio menu the unit displays 'connection unsuccessful' I also have the same issue with a Sony Experia running Android however Bluetooth calling is perfect with both.

Does anyone know if I need to convert the files to a different format to play them or is it a copyright protection thing that means I will have to buy an old iPod to keep in the glovebox to be able to play my music?

I think all you need is a firmware update on the comand unit. Then bluetooth streaming should work for you.

Hi Alfie, thank you for the reply, I have managed to get files playing by going into iTunes and creating AAC copies and transferring them to a memory stick to use with the USB connector.

If I were to have the firmware updated would I gain anything else apart from Bluetooth audio? I seem to have full UK postcodes, does this mean it has an older update already or is that just down to a SatNav update.

Also for some reason I can not get sound from the AUX cable, when it is plugged in it is selectable but with so sound at all.

Where would I go to have the update done and is the cost likely to be high for this?

I'll have a look I had the same problem I'll post how to do it tomorrow you can save a copy in iTunes in MP3

Then you use them and hay presto!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom