NTG1 engineering codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amandaway

Car
2011 E350
Hi All, I have a 2004 CL500 with the NTG1 command system, I do not have the eta facility in navigation so am assuming the firmware to be prior to the 06 update. Can someone tell me how and what code to use to get to the engineering menu on the display, and where or can I download the 06 firmware upgrade to get the eta facility?

Thanks for your anticipated help :D

Last edited:
Pick up your update CD image from this site:
Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

I don't see why you would have to check something from engineering menu if you do not have the ETA option currently, you should update the head unit anyway.

thanks for the reply, it was sorta two questions in one (not made very clear by me :fail) I would like to upgrade the navigation firmware, the site suggested doesn't cover a DVD for the W215 class, and i have read you can turn on video whilst in motion from a hidden menu on the command display.

You can have eta OR vim, update enables former and removes access to the latter. If you want maps newer than 2006 you have to update.

Thanks b1g1an, I thought the same but have just upgraded to the 2014 maps but still have no ETA display :(

Can't remember exactly where it is but it's in the options to have eta or what was there originally.

Latest maps on NTG1 do not update the firmware of the Comand head unit only the firmware of the NAV drive you still need to install the firmware update for the head unit. ETA was in the 2006 update as far as I recall.
The 2006 firmware update will disable certain features so you will not be able to access the VIM settings.

Once you have the latest Comand firmware you still need to change the display option, I think the options are to view the coordinates or ETA or something like that.

Thanks for that but it doesn't work on mine, a W215....i can get into a hidden menu....mute,1,3, which looks like the engineering menu but doesn't say its that, but cant find the one to access the VIM menu :(

Latest maps on NTG1 do not update the firmware of the Comand head unit only the firmware of the NAV drive you still need to install the firmware update for the head unit. ETA was in the 2006 update as far as I recall.
The 2006 firmware update will disable certain features so you will not be able to access the VIM settings.

Sorry mate, you're completely wrong.

Didn't used to be but the last few years have had it included so if you are on an older version you put the new disc in the nav drive and it will ask to update the firmware if you want to use the new maps...which it does. Mine came with a 2005/06 disc with no eta and access to the vim settings, swapped it for a v13 2012/13 disc and it updated when I first turned it on and I now have eta but no vim.

b1g1an, where do i find / how do i select the eta screen then, maybe i'm being a plonker and haven't found it !!

Didn't used to be but the last few years have had it included so if you are on an older version you put the new disc in the nav drive and it will ask to update the firmware if you want to use the new maps...which it does. Mine came with a 2005/06 disc with no eta and access to the vim settings, swapped it for a v13 2012/13 disc and it updated when I first turned it on and I now have eta but no vim.

Technically SavMan is right - the point you're arguing is that the latest Nav discs contains the firmware update for the head unit as well as the navigation update - previously they were seperate discs.

b1g1an said:

Not on mine it didn't I had V12 installed by the guys at Comandonline and yes it ask's do you wish to install firmware but that was the firmware for the DVD NAV Drive the Comand head unit was then needed to be updated with the later firmware. Comandonline at the time didnt have any firmware updates in stock so I downloaded it from the US site. They may have updated it in V13 but can't find anything on the release notes that says it does.
Perhaps you already had ETA enabled but had not change the display?

Amandaway said:
b1g1an, where do i find / how do i select the eta screen then, maybe i'm being a plonker and haven't found it !!

Go to "MAP"

Click any of the buttons adjacent to the screen "-"

Click "Display"

Choose "Time of arrival/Dist. T..."

Hi All, thanks for all the reply's, to sum it up...when i bought the car it had a V5.1 nav disc in the drive. I never found the eta display (i am a tweaker so if it was there i think i would have found it). I have since bought a 2013/2014 disc from the stealers (they have a special on in my area...£100) and since updating i have now found the eta screen ( thanks to the tip to use the "info" button I was given in this post) all issues sorted = one happy cl500 owner :D thanks for all your help guys.

Not on mine it didn't I had V12 installed by the guys at Comandonline and yes it ask's do you wish to install firmware but that was the firmware for the DVD NAV Drive the Comand head unit was then needed to be updated with the later firmware. Comandonline at the time didnt have any firmware updates in stock so I downloaded it from the US site. They may have updated it in V13 but can't find anything on the release notes that says it does.
Perhaps you already had ETA enabled but had not change the display?

Not meaning to be pissy but you said the "latest discs" didn't but they most definitely do and I also know what I did and didn't have, as I said I had the option to enable vim before and after I didn't which proves I didn't have the 2006 update and it has worked for the OP too.

The details for v11 say they have software updates for the COMAND unit on them as well as nav, perhaps your original version was an even older one and it needed to be at least a certain age to use the map disc based one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom