NTG2 Command W209 into a W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trunkz

Car
W203 C200 Kompressor
Morning all -

I've got a clk320cdi that will soon be getting scrapped (on account of it being a diesel which will soon be pointless me going into london with); i've since picked up a w203 c200 kompressor over the weekend. This is the facelift model however has the audio 20 unit vs a traditional command. Would it be possible to take the NTG2 unit out of the clk and drop that into the c class? I am aware they share the same underpinning platform. CLK has the phone wiring (has a viseeo unit installed in the armrest) however the c class does not.

I think there are two questions here:

- Is the NTG2 unit in the W209 the same as the NTG2 unit in the W203 facelift?
- If so, what accessory kit is required to convert a W203 facelift from Audio20 to NTG2?

You should be able to get the accessory kit (cables adapters etc) from www.comandonline.co.uk - and they will also know if the Audio20 to NTG2 conversion needs coding (which will require STAR).

I am afraid I don't know what exactly is involved in moving the Telephony Convenience option from one car to another - but I think that on the W203 it resides in the centre armrest, so you will probably need to either move the entire armrest if they are the same on the W209 and W203, or get a second-hand W203 armrest that can accommodate the telephony kit.

One more thing - the W203 C200K will have the M271 engine, so my advice is to get the timing gear inspected asap (unless it has already been inspected or replaced).

I think there are two questions here:

- Is the NTG2 unit in the W209 the same as the NTG2 unit in the W203 facelift?
- If so, what accessory kit is required to convert a W203 facelift from Audio20 to NTG2?

You should be able to get the accessory kit (cables adapters etc) from www.comandonline.co.uk - and they will also know if the Audio20 to NTG2 conversion needs coding (which will require STAR).

I am afraid I don't know what exactly is involved in moving the Telephony Convenience option from one car to another - but I think that on the W203 it resides in the centre armrest, so you will probably need to either move the entire armrest if they are the same on the W209 and W203, or get a second-hand W203 armrest that can accommodate the telephony kit.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes my query is whether the NTG2 unit in the W209 is the same as the W203 facelift; for clarification my W209 is a 2006 model so is also a 'facelift'. Would be great to have the telephony option; but again is not a show stopper right now.

Yes you are correct; the telephony bracket in the W209 sits in the arm rest.

Re: the timing chain issue; I've been reading up on alot of the information on here re: those engines of which you have been most helpful in. m271.com will be getting an order for the two gears and timing chain kit after I have whipped off the valve cover and checked. Do the guides normally wear out?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes my query is whether the NTG2 unit in the W209 is the same as the W203 facelift; for clarification my W209 is a 2006 model so is also a 'facelift'. Would be great to have the telephony option; but again is not a show stopper right now.

Yes you are correct; the telephony bracket in the W209 sits in the arm rest.

Re: the timing chain issue; I've been reading up on alot of the information on here re: those engines of which you have been most helpful in. m271.com will be getting an order for the two gears and timing chain kit after I have whipped off the valve cover and checked. Do the guides normally wear out?

The complete timing gear kit will include new timing chain, new guide, new tensioner, and two new camshaft sprocket wheels (either the standard ones from MB, or modified ones from M271.com). The guide is made of polymer, so will likely have some wear, but either way it's good practice to replace it as a matter of course i.e. 'while you are in there'. The tensioner is hydraulic and can leak, so should be replaced as well. The hydraulic tensioner, BTW, is the reason that the worn teeth on the sprockets will cause the chain to jump a tooth usually on engine startup - because the chain will be slightly loose before the oil pressure builds-up and the tensioner is pressurised.

That said, not all M271 engines are affected, and the timing chain itself has no scheduled replacement interval specified for it - so if after removing the camshafts cover and inspecting the sprockets their condition is deemed to be fine with minimal wear, then there's no real need to replace the sprockets or the chain.

Yes M271.com pack comes with the tensioner but not the guides; so will take a look on eBay for those. In the meantime; I found the mats from the CLK fit my W203 so those have made their way over, and i'll take out the command unit on the weekend. Get as much stuff out before the scrappers take her.

They are different (ever so slightly, but enough) physical sizes and not interchangeable.

I had this problem when I facelifted a W209, the owner bought a W203 COMAND which wouldnt fit.

See it in my video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom