NTG3.5 Navigation on W221

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graeme_m

Car
W221 S63 AMG
So, most of us know that the latest and last update to the navigation system on NTG3.5 is the 2015 version, which by now is considerably out of date (and more so in Europe where they appear to be building more roads than UK).
I see that Braybrooks are offering an upgrade which allows Apple Carplay to be installed for £600 - has anyone done this and prepared to comment on service, functionality etc. I like the idea of installing CarPlay for better navigation and music, but wouldn't want to lose the functionality of the original COMAND system by doing so - eg the sound reducing to hear navigation commands, or when making phone calls, or navigation arrows in the centre of the instrument panel.
Thanks

All the aftermarket boxes (we fit something different that Braybrooks, but it works the same way) sit between the COMAND and display and take it over for CarPlay - the problem is that the head-unit needs to be set to AUX input to get the sound from the CarPlay in - which means you can not listen to FM/AM/DAB, and you wont get instructions from the CarPlay apps on the instrument cluster because CarPlay isn't designed to do that - you have to basically completely use the CarPlay system ..

Richard

All the aftermarket boxes (we fit something different that Braybrooks, but it works the same way) sit between the COMAND and display and take it over for CarPlay - the problem is that the head-unit needs to be set to AUX input to get the sound from the CarPlay in - which means you can not listen to FM/AM/DAB, and you wont get instructions from the CarPlay apps on the instrument cluster because CarPlay isn't designed to do that - you have to basically completely use the CarPlay system ..

Richard
Thanks, Richard. When you say that you must completely use the CarPlay system, are you able to switch back and forth between the COMAND and CarPlay, or is this a one way update? I am also presuming that there is still no upgrades or alternatives to the original navigation system.
Graeme

Thanks, Richard. When you say that you must completely use the CarPlay system, are you able to switch back and forth between the COMAND and CarPlay, or is this a one way update? I am also presuming that there is still no upgrades or alternatives to the original navigation system.
Graeme
You can switch between by holding down one of the steering wheel buttons
There are no Mercedes’ upgrades for existing system.
Thanks
R

So, most of us know that the latest and last update to the navigation system on NTG3.5 is the 2015 version, which by now is considerably out of date (and more so in Europe where they appear to be building more roads than UK).
I see that Braybrooks are offering an upgrade which allows Apple Carplay to be installed for £600 - has anyone done this and prepared to comment on service, functionality etc. I like the idea of installing CarPlay for better navigation and music, but wouldn't want to lose the functionality of the original COMAND system by doing so - eg the sound reducing to hear navigation commands, or when making phone calls, or navigation arrows in the centre of the instrument panel.
Thanks
Hi I notice that you posted this thread in February did you go ahead with the upgrade and if so what way did you go? I’m also interested in a system where I can use apple play.

Hi I notice that you posted this thread in February did you go ahead with the upgrade and if so what way did you go? I’m also interested in a system where I can use apple play.
I didn't go ahead with this in the end - partly out of idleness, partly I'm not sure how much I want to modify the car as opposed to putting my phone in a cradle for better navigation. The thought hasn't gone away though so please let me know if you go ahead and how it works.

I didn't go ahead with this in the end - partly out of idleness, partly I'm not sure how much I want to modify the car as opposed to putting my phone in a cradle for better navigation. The thought hasn't gone away though so please let me know if you go ahead and how it works.
Yes I see where you are coming from. I will keep you updated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom