Ntg4.7 retrofit into Pre-facelift W204: Completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibsonk

Car
Mercedes
I have just finished my retrofit of a Ntg4.7 into my W204.

To do this was a lot of work, I obtained the correct display adapter to keep the original flip screen and modified faceplate to allow the comand to fit the dash.

Quite a bit of rewiring was also required for the CAN connection, microphone etc.

Got the basics done and fired it all up but it had no GPS signal from the original GPS and the online function wouldn't work.

I enlisted the help of a very kind gentleman from Germany who did the coding for me remotely using my SD Connect.

Now it's all working I just need to shave the faceplate a little more so the vents fit flush.

I also fit the climate controls from W212.

Some bits up for sale in the classifieds now remaining from the retrofit.

ddfcd6fdd99ec4020f3a05fb41de0699.jpg
859d1441e183ec8560685b3e7712e846.jpg
4d2c657efabe5f5b862537cd84115c68.jpg
f3173d96fbe8e66be8ce12e25a67e388.jpg

Nice job!

Is the switch pack under COMAND also modified?

I have just realised my reverse camera isn't working, I assume its the same as the Ntg4 we can just plug a camera in

As your original has the flip-up screen, I assume it was NTG4 like my July 2008 S204 C220. I could be interested in the NTG4 you removed, am checking with comand.co.uk that it would be a straight swop for my current unit.

It does indeed have the 7" screen, providing your had comand fitted previously it should just plug and play

Looks good. How did you get around the Anti theft Pin protection?

Does indeed look good
Probably wouldn't answer that question on detail on an open forum though.. ..

Although i do think it needs a new LCD, mine seems to startup quite dim and pinkish then brightens up, but not great to see in the sun

Cannot possibly be official as NTG 4.7 wasnt valid for that model year, not even NTg 4.5. Plus Mercedes do not manufacture a lead that converts NTG 4.7 to drive an NTG4 screen, has to be non MB. I checked your VIN and your datacard still shows audio-20.

The way NTG 4.5/4.7 is installed requires the right part number for that model range. Then online to Mercedes, Initial startup must be run. This places the serial number of the comand unit into VeDoc and then allows a PIN code to be generated for maps. I checked your car on the Mercedes database and initial startup has not been run and no valid pin code for maps can be generated. Map pin codes are available from hacking sites though.

It does look good and im sure others will be interested but please dont try and pass it off as 'official' its far from that.

I paid to have the coding done in good faith and answered your question about the Antitheft to the best of my knowledge.

This is an old thread and forum-member gibson hasn't been here for a while.

But hopefully someone else may be able to help.

In the meantime, have a look at www.comandonline.co.uk , they can supply most parts required, though you'll have to check with them if they will ship to LA.

@gibsonk Hi, New to the forum here, I currently have the Comand NTG4 and would like to upgrade to NTG4.5 or 4.7, are you able to provide details on what I require? I noticed you had the LVDS converter, is there somewhere I can get that from?

Cheers

Hi i want to know information about the lvds connector from 4.0 to 4.7 how could i make it or where i could buy it please answer mr.gibsonk

I'm in the same boat as all above. I can find the relevant headunit, but trying to find an appropriate LVDS adaption cable is proving difficult! Many have got this system working, but haven't been able to get the screen operational again.
Has anybody got a wiring diagram for both the 10pin plug on the original and the 4 pin on the back of the NTG 4.5/4.7 radio?

There is a chap that's got it all working on his pre-facelift, but he's not been on (another) Mercedes forum for quite some time!

Any assistance appreciated! The navigation in the pre facelift w204 is really out of date.

Thanks,

Jon

I'm in the same boat as all above. I can find the relevant headunit, but trying to find an appropriate LVDS adaption cable is proving difficult! Many have got this system working, but haven't been able to get the screen operational again.
Has anybody got a wiring diagram for both the 10pin plug on the original and the 4 pin on the back of the NTG 4.5/4.7 radio?

There is a chap that's got it all working on his pre-facelift, but he's not been on (another) Mercedes forum for quite some time!

Any assistance appreciated! The navigation in the pre facelift w204 is really out of date.

Thanks,

Jon
Hi.

The Lvds adapter is not likely available anymore, it was a custom made piece of electronics by a enthusiast in Germany, its not just a plug in adapter, it has a microprocessor in it etc....

There are a few things you need to consider.

The quad lock will need to be repinned

You can fit a compatible lcd into the flip screen housing but you will loose the flip function and the screen will always be open, the converter I had also dealt with the canbus signal to flip the screen. You will need new lvds cable as well, a 4 pin one.

I do have the wiring diagrams somewhere and what to repin will see if I can find them.

Map activation is not possible via mercedes as that generation never had ntg4.7 as a factory option, however can be activated in other ways, the head unit serial can be added to vedoc and if startup is done via official scn coding the online part will function, but kinda pointless as support for apps on that generation nav was ended a long time ago.

I more recently fit a facelift dash and ntg5s1 to my Pre-facelift W204 (actually for sale atm, bought a audi 😳) this makes the lcd issue much easier to handle but facelifting is a pretty big task.

And 5s1 takes a lot more money and effort to get working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom