NTG5s1 Retrofit and Dashboard Facelift to Pre-Facelift W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibsonk

Car
Mercedes
I had been planning my dashboard facelift for a little while but though while i was at it i would drop in a ntg5s1.

The dash was surprisingly easy and i have zero creaks or squeaks, the only issues i have is i need to repin the wiring for the hazard switch and source a new glove box as it is different.

Fitting the 5s1 was a bit more difficult due to the screen size.

I intended to use a W212 screen and place of the w204 one, while this fits perfectly with the outer diameter the depth is wrong and you cannot fit the dash trim, my plan is to use the outer housing from the w204 and transplant the w212 lcd over , hopefully giving me a correctly fit screen, it seems the NTG5s1 is higher resolution than the 4.7 i had previously using the pre-facelift dash and flip up screen and better resolution than the facelift w204. For now however i have mounted a 8" display from a CLS and it doesn't look too bad.

There was a lot of re-pinning required on the quad lock and new wiring for power\ground also it required DOIP wiring installing to the ODB port to allow firmware updates and manuals, you can diagnose it over CAN but any updates will cause the Comand to get stuck in boot loader.

Only three things don't work so far, if anyone has any knowledge or advice it woudl be great

1, The online component doesnt work, i also expect it may never work due to the veedoc requirements

2, The other i woudl like is the Vehicle dynamics screen, BHP and Torque meters, the battery and Temp work fine just no response from the power meters.

3, Mirror Link, Carplay and Android Auto are not working, it just asks me to plug into USB port 2, i believe this is because i need the USB hub that sits in the arm rest and wiring

If anyone has anty knowledge of these three items and how to fix them i would be extremely grateful.

signal-2021-04-30-122207.jpg

20210501-191040.jpg

IMG-2240.jpg

I had been planning my dashboard facelift for a little while but though while i was at it i would drop in a ntg5s1.

The dash was surprisingly easy and i have zero creaks or squeaks, the only issues i have is i need to repin the wiring for the hazard switch and source a new glove box as it is different.

Fitting the 5s1 was a bit more difficult due to the screen size.

I intended to use a W212 screen and place of the w204 one, while this fits perfectly with the outer diameter the depth is wrong and you cannot fit the dash trim, my plan is to use the outer housing from the w204 and transplant the w212 lcd over , hopefully giving me a correctly fit screen, it seems the NTG5s1 is higher resolution than the 4.7 i had previously using the pre-facelift dash and flip up screen and better resolution than the facelift w204. For now however i have mounted a 8" display from a CLS and it doesn't look too bad.

There was a lot of re-pinning required on the quad lock and new wiring for power\ground also it required DOIP wiring installing to the ODB port to allow firmware updates and manuals, you can diagnose it over CAN but any updates will cause the Comand to get stuck in boot loader.

Only three things don't work so far, if anyone has any knowledge or advice it woudl be great

1, The online component doesnt work, i also expect it may never work due to the veedoc requirements

2, The other i woudl like is the Vehicle dynamics screen, BHP and Torque meters, the battery and Temp work fine just no response from the power meters.

3, Mirror Link, Carplay and Android Auto are not working, it just asks me to plug into USB port 2, i believe this is because i need the USB hub that sits in the arm rest and wiring

If anyone has anty knowledge of these three items and how to fix them i would be extremely grateful.

signal-2021-04-30-122207.jpg

20210501-191040.jpg

IMG-2240.jpg
If the unit already had Apple CarPlay / Android Auto then you might be lucky and it work. If not, it will need coding but for that youll need to sort the OBD port. You wont be able to get a map pin code from Mercedes though as NTG 5 isnt valid for W204 and you havnt run initial startup in Xentry.

I can enable carplay and Android auto by having the firmware updated, but I Need to re-pin the OBD port for DOIP access, this is easy enough.

The issue as you state is I can't run a initial startup as xentry will never recognise the ntg5s1 in a w204 so won't perform the startup to enter the serial to the veedoc, bit of a shame but if I can sort carplay etc. I will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom