Number Plate After Brexit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeithJG

Car
Vauxhall Tourer
So after Brexit do we have to change our number plates because of the Euro Stars on it with the GB and use a plain GB sticker for going abroad with the motor?

My last Volvo had a Swedish flag on the number plate....bought it like it and don`t think it was illegal?

So i may have a Union Jack on mine.

Plain GB sticker methinks.

Would prefer a St. George's Cross and England, but that might make others consider me to be some sort of jingoistic, xenophobic, right-wing fascist.

Mine's got the stars on and although I voted brexit I don't feel so strongly about it to spend money changing them.

Mine's got the stars on and although I voted brexit I don't feel so strongly about it to spend money changing them.
You may though be required by the EU to cover the EU stars with a non-EU GB sticker, should you venture across the channel in your steed!

I dont have the Euro Stars or anything else on my number plates, if i take the car outside the UK I buy a number plate sticker off ebay and then remove it when i get home.

Reactions: GLK
No national identifiers on any of my cars. Tempted to get a huge euro sticker though, just to annoy the neighbours.

I dont have the Euro Stars or anything else on my number plates, if i take the car outside the UK I buy a number plate sticker off ebay and then remove it when i get home.
Mois aussi... ;)

You may though be required by the EU to cover the EU stars with a non-EU GB sticker, should you venture across the channel in your steed!
This was my reason for the thread.
Nobody yet has said about Number Plates do we HAVE to get them changed by EU Law if we have the Euro Stars?

If the answer is Yes.....then all Christmasses will happen at once for Halfords :eek:

I`m getting my front one done if only to get rid of it`s screw`s.....Halford`s £15.99 while you wait.

Nobody yet has said about Number Plates do we HAVE to get them changed by EU Law if we have the Euro Stars?

If the answer is Yes.....then all Christmasses will happen at once for Halfords :eek:

I`m getting my front one done if only to get rid of it`s screw`s.....Halford`s £15.99 while you wait.

Don’t get them from Halfords, they print their name massively at the bottom and it pisses me off as they are not paying me for advertising

I got mine online from a DVLA approved supplier with their postcode etc printed in the smallest possible font at the bottom

Regards

Reactions: GLK

Are stars actually part of EU law or regulation right now? Is it not the case that this is a UK regulated format?

And afterwards?

Basically the UK can declare its number plate format to be anything it likes if it's not in the UK. It's unlikely the UK would invalidate the format with the EU stars for existing plates though it might invalidate it for newer registrations.

The EU presumably can demand that a car has a national identifier either on the plate or separately (like the old white oval stickers ?) and decide what it recognises or not. So it could choose to not recognise GB on blue surrounded by stars - in which case you might need a sticker or badge. It would be a bit petty to refuse entry to cars with a valid UK number plate even if it had the stars.

Got mine from an online supplier. They asked for copies of my I'd and V5. Good price, very quick and good quality. I opted for UK and the Union Jack flag on the left.

I've never had a flag on my number plate, I no longer put an identifier sticker on the car either, what's it got to do with other road users to know that I have travelled from Wales?

My old magnetic badge is mounted proudly on the washing machine.

I needed one for the 968 cab a couple of years ago, the magnetic one I had does not attach to anywhere on the back of the car, so in a motorist shop (like Halfords, but it wasn't) I found a stick-on with GB on it and just stuck that on the side of the rear number plate - cost about £1.50 and it's still there. If I have to get rid of the eurostars on the MB I'll look for a similar sticker, preferably GB and the flag of St George.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom