number plate check DVLA previous car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Totally not true, the number previously allocated to a car which then has a cherished number put on it is reallocated to that car when the number is moved off. I keep a stack of number plates in my garage so I can put the old ones back on where the car had a previous plate assigned

what I would accept is that if a number is no longer in use, car scrapped/exported then this might be true, but even then there are exceptions such as proving historical use of a number if a car has been reimported
I have read elsewhere that some numbers are indeed recycled - especially highly desirable pre 1963 numbers where a) it can be shown the car no longer exists and has not existed for a very long time , and b) where DVLA can sell a highly desirable number for a lot of money .

Where it could fall down is if a long lost ‘barn find’ surfaces with a number that has been sold on .

However , registration marks remain the property of DVLA and you only buy the right to display them .

This is true. I paid REG Transfers to force DVLA to issue a registration from 1st Jan 1966. They run a service to do this. It had never been issued before. It was my first initial with my surname. It did cost me some coin!.

However, DVLA can sell registration that lapses their retention period. This is only for private plates I believe.
Define a private plate .

They are all just numbers which could have been issued at one time or another , and often were issued to a new car before anyone decided it was in some way memorable .

The last few new cars we have bought and put our plates on have always been issued with an age related plate first by the DVLA, this is then changed over to the private at the same time.
Surely on a new car it is just a new registration?

An age related plate is one that is issued retrospectively , for example if you transfer an original from new plate off an older car which has never had any other number , then they will generate an age related one - for example , before I bought it , my 1963 Fintail was something like LRM141 , but a previous owner decided to keep that number , and when I got the car it was XSJ768 , which was an age related number assigned back in the 90s .

That number , incidentally, is non transferable .

I paid REG Transfers to force DVLA to issue a registration from 1st Jan 1966. They run a service to do this. It had never been issued before. It was my first initial with my surname.

No it wasn't, unless you have numbers as well as letters in your name...

Tell us more about how this Reginald Transfers gentleman 'forced' DVLA to do this? I strongly suspect the only 'forcing' involved you handing over money...

Last edited:
Surely on a new car it is just a new registration?

An age related plate is one that is issued retrospectively , for example if you transfer an original from new plate off an older car which has never had any other number , then they will generate an age related one - for example , before I bought it , my 1963 Fintail was something like LRM141 , but a previous owner decided to keep that number , and when I got the car it was XSJ768 , which was an age related number assigned back in the 90s .

Yes, new registration to be fitted with cherished plates but all have had age related plates issued by the DVLA at the time of registration and swapped over at the same time.
Recent examples are cars purchased, 2017 x 2, 2010 x 2, 2010 x 2 (factory orders), 2004 x 2 (factory orders).

No idea why this is done but has certainly been done for most if not all of the new cars we have bought and put cherished plates on.

Yes, new registration to be fitted with cherished plates but all have had age related plates issued by the DVLA at the time of registration and swapped over at the same time.
Recent examples are cars purchased, 2017 x 2, 2010 x 2, 2010 x 2 (factory orders), 2004 x 2 (factory orders).

No idea why this is done but has certainly been done for most if not all of the new cars we have bought and put cherished plates on.
Yes , but the point I was trying to make is the term ‘age related plate’ is not a new one for the current registration period , that is just a new registration . An age related plate is one issued later , after the period to which it relates has passed , and need not be a prefix , suffix or year number plate , but will just be a plate related to the year of manufacture of the vehicle - hence I gave the example of the plate issued to my Fintail , which few would realise as age related , being a pre suffix plate , but of the correct format which might have been issued in 1963 .

A car bought this year and to which the owner intends to apply a cherished registration might also be assigned a ‘20’ plate , but that is just a new registration, not an age related one .

Equally , my Indian assembled W124 was assigned an S plate on first registration , even though the year of manufacture was 1997 , so just a new registration, not age related , which would have been something like a N prefix .

I dont see anything in that link that says as such?

Seriously?

Zu0sxNUl.jpg

Yes , but the point I was trying to make is the term ‘age related plate’ is not a new one for the current registration period , that is just a new registration . An age related plate is one issued later , after the period to which it relates has passed , and need not be a prefix , suffix or year number plate , but will just be a plate related to the year of manufacture of the vehicle - hence I gave the example of the plate issued to my Fintail , which few would realise as age related , being a pre suffix plate , but of the correct format which might have been issued in 1963 .

A car bought this year and to which the owner intends to apply a cherished registration might also be assigned a ‘20’ plate , but that is just a new registration, not an age related one .

Equally , my Indian assembled W124 was assigned an S plate on first registration , even though the year of manufacture was 1997 , so just a new registration, not age related , which would have been something like a N prefix .

I have honestly lost you and have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Think it was very clear what I meant as I described the experience.

All the recent cars I've bought have all had an "age appropriate" plate at time of registration as well as the cherished number at the same time, that is the only point I was making for my recent (in the last couple of decades) experiences.

Of course things were different in 1960 but the DVLA have a computer system now. ;)

Seriously?

Zu0sxNUl.jpg
I stand corrected.
I've watched the auctions for years and assumed that it was only a few that were unissued, as there's a hell of a lot of shïťè that goes through them.

There is probably a clue in the number of registrations they auction off relative to the number of cars sold in the time period eligible for the registration

I have honestly lost you and have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Think it was very clear what I meant as I described the experience.

All the recent cars I've bought have all had an "age appropriate" plate at time of registration as well as the cherished number at the same time, that is the only point I was making for my recent (in the last couple of decades) experiences.

Of course things were different in 1960 but the DVLA have a computer system now. ;)
The point I was/am trying to make is that an ‘age related’ plate is not whatever the current plate as applied to a new car might be , but a plate assigned to an older car at a later date , in keeping with its year of manufacture , even if plates at that time did not contain a year identifier , and I further gave an example of a more recent car , manufactured in 1997 but first registered in 2000 , by which time DVLA were most certainly computerised .

The term ‘age related’ does not refer to the type of plate , which may or may not contain a year identifier : it applies to a plate applied retrospectively to a vehicle previously registered and requiring a plate appropriate to its year of manufacture; such plates are also non transferable so cannot be sold on for profit . The plate on my 1963 car was applied sometime in the late 1990s .

Nope - still not following your point...,

age related is a meaningless phrase...Unlike age specific

The point I was/am trying to make is that an ‘age related’ plate is not whatever the current plate as applied to a new car might be , but a plate assigned to an older car at a later date , in keeping with its year of manufacture , even if plates at that time did not contain a year identifier , and I further gave an example of a more recent car , manufactured in 1997 but first registered in 2000 , by which time DVLA were most certainly computerised .

The term ‘age related’ does not refer to the type of plate , which may or may not contain a year identifier : it applies to a plate applied retrospectively to a vehicle previously registered and requiring a plate appropriate to its year of manufacture; such plates are also non transferable so cannot be sold on for profit . The plate on my 1963 car was applied sometime in the late 1990s .

Still not following.
I think you are just being pedantic for the sake of it. ;)

It was very clear I was talking about a brand new car and a new registration so all above is a moot point.

In a nutshell:

- DVLA auctions are for unissued plates. They may have the right to reissue previously used VRMs if they wanted to, but it certainly isn’t normal practice.

- Vehicles can be registered for the first time on a cherished registration, they do not have to be registered first on a different VRM prior to a plate being transferred. Anecdotal experience tells us that is the case.

- If you transfer a standard DVLA issued registration off a vehicle onto retention or to another vehicle you will be given another random age-appropriate (for the date of registration..) VRM by the DVLA, but these are not transferable. The example given by Pontoneer is the reason - buy an older pre-63 dateless vehicle and you can take the registration off, which is often quite valuable. If you could do it again and again for just the cost of the fees the DVLA would run out of pre-63 type VRMs and/or would never keep up with demand :)
There will be a note to this effect on the V5 if this is the case :thumb:

The comment about Reg transfers and the unissued plate. No forcing possible with the DVLA. I suspect that what happened is that Reg Transfers acted as a middleman, contacted the DVLA who released it to auction, then reg transfers bid on it and sold it to Rocky with their cut on top. What’s the plate Rocky? You can look up all plates sold at auction by the DVLA and what they sold for and when ;)

BTW, you can do the above (contact the DVLA to release a plate to auction) as a member of the public. You don’t need to appoint someone to do this :)

Still not following.
I think you are just being pedantic for the sake of it. ;)

It was very clear I was talking about a brand new car and a new registration so all above is a moot point.
Sorry , but I am not trying to be pedantic :) truly . But the term 'age related' as used for years by DVLA has referred to plates assigned to older vehicles , which have had their original marks reassigned , and which require marks appropriate to their age assigned retrospectively .

This is NOT the same as a new vehicle being assigned a current registration mark at the time of first registration - it is an entirely different thing .

If you decided to cash in on the original registration mark of your Hillman Imp , you would be assigned an age related plate , which might not carry a year identifier , but would be appropriate to the age of the car , but which would also be non transferrable . An age related plate is not just any plate which carries a year identifier ; although there are rules about not applying any plate making a car appear younger than it is .

I do wish the DVLA would learn how to use apostrophes correctly.

Reactions: 219
I do wish the DVLA would learn how to use apostrophes correctly.

They wern't apostrophes.

They were number plate studs used to make them look like apostrophes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom