number plate check DVLA previous car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry , but I am not trying to be pedantic :) truly . But the term 'age related' as used for years by DVLA has referred to plates assigned to older vehicles , which have had their original marks reassigned , and which require marks appropriate to their age assigned retrospectively .

This is NOT the same as a new vehicle being assigned a current registration mark at the time of first registration - it is an entirely different thing .

If you decided to cash in on the original registration mark of your Hillman Imp , you would be assigned an age related plate , which might not carry a year identifier , but would be appropriate to the age of the car , but which would also be non transferrable . An age related plate is not just any plate which carries a year identifier ; although there are rules about not applying any plate making a car appear younger than it is .

a new car is issued an age related (to use your definition)

if you transfer a VEM off a vehicle, DVLA issue a replacement specific to the ageof the car.
If your Hillman was on a G plate, and you transferred that VRM to either retention or another vehicle, DVLA will issue a replacement G VRM. - not an undated VRM. That replacement G mark cannot then be used on another vehicle
subsequently

the correct term for VRM for pre 63 vehicles is undated not age related - by definition they have no age ( and can be used on a vehicle of any age.)

a new car is issued an age related (to use your definition)

if you transfer a VEM off a vehicle, DVLA issue a replacement specific to the ageof the car.
If your Hillman was on a G plate, and you transferred that VRM to either retention or another vehicle, DVLA will issue a replacement G VRM. - not an undated VRM. That replacement G mark cannot then be used on another vehicle
subsequently

the correct term for VRM for pre 63 vehicles is undated not age related - by definition they have no age ( and can be used on a vehicle of any age.)
A new car is issued a new registration. In present days that will include a year identifier, but it is not necessarily ‘age related’ to the vehicle which may have been manufactured earlier but only first registered now .

An age related mark is one appropriate to the age of the vehicle and may be prefix , suffix , year numbered , or pre suffix .

Pre suffix plates are not ‘dateless’ as there have been numerous formats as issued at different times by different licensing authorities , with different numbers of letters , numbers and in different orders , so they are ‘age related’ to cars to which they are retrospectively assigned . You could not , for example , put a 1950’s number onto a 1920’s car .

I gave an example of a ‘new registration’ which was assigned to my Indian assembled W124 which was not age related to the car .

The two things are entirely different and it is an important distinction.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, those W124 would have fallen within a "loophole" of vehicle importation, where vehicles within certain parameters of age and mileage could be registered as new. I brought in a couple of Japanese imports in the 00's under these circumstances.

As such, they would act as an exception outside of this situation.

Last edited:
The point I was/am trying to make is that an ‘age related’ plate is not whatever the current plate as applied to a new car might be , but a plate assigned to an older car at a later date , in keeping with its year of manufacture , even if plates at that time did not contain a year identifier , and I further gave an example of a more recent car , manufactured in 1997 but first registered in 2000 , by which time DVLA were most certainly computerised .

The term ‘age related’ does not refer to the type of plate , which may or may not contain a year identifier : it applies to a plate applied retrospectively to a vehicle previously registered and requiring a plate appropriate to its year of manufacture; such plates are also non transferable so cannot be sold on for profit . The plate on my 1963 car was applied sometime in the late 1990s .
A car manufactured and registered in 1997 would have a R registration, but if the car was registered in 200 it would get a W or X registration.

Reactions: 219
Sorry , but I am not trying to be pedantic :) truly . But the term 'age related' as used for years by DVLA has referred to plates assigned to older vehicles , which have had their original marks reassigned , and which require marks appropriate to their age assigned retrospectively .

This is NOT the same as a new vehicle being assigned a current registration mark at the time of first registration - it is an entirely different thing .

I still think you are making a mountain of a molehill, poor choice of phrase by me perhaps using "age related".

Even people as stupid as me around here would have gathered since I was giving a new car example that if it was: for example an early 2004 new car being registered it would have been given a plate such as "xx53 xxx" at the same time as the registration for the cherished plate.

Did I mention that many of the recent new cars I've had fitted with a cherished plate from day 1 also had another registration number issued by the DVLA at the same time, these other registrations also indicated the year of registration?
Oh yes I think I did didn't I!

That was my point and contribution towards the question posted by the OP.

No it wasn't, unless you have numbers as well as letters in your name...

Tell us more about how this Reginald Transfers gentleman 'forced' DVLA to do this? I strongly suspect the only 'forcing' involved you handing over money...

Debatable and the letter I can look like a 1?

Yes it’s forceable and yes it meant I paid up. I don’t need to tell you anything as you will make stupid remarks. There is a service where you can approach DVLA to release a registration and sold to you at a fixed price.

A car manufactured and registered in 1997 would have a R registration, but if the car was registered in 200 it would get a W or X registration.
I’ll take your word for it ; I just know that the last of the European W124s were on something like N prefixes and my Indian one got a S prefix , despite the year of manufacture being a couple of years earlier ; incidentally my 1999 W140 is on a S prefix also .

I gave up working out year identifiers decades ago because number plates are meaningless to me and I never take any notice of them . My SL came and went with a NI plate on it , which to me is a complete waste of money .

This is true. I paid REG Transfers to force DVLA to issue a registration from 1st Jan 1966 . It had never been issued before. It was my first initial with my surname. It did cost me some coin!.
No it wasn't, unless you have numbers as well as letters in your name..
How about a surname like Reid? ARE1D is registered to an Aston Martin.

Last edited:
Debatable and the letter I can look like a 1?

Yes it’s forceable and yes it meant I paid up. I don’t need to tell you anything as you will make stupid remarks. There is a service where you can approach DVLA to release a registration and sold to you at a fixed price.

First point agreed, but it's still a number. Most of the 'personal plate' trade is based on 'looks like' to some degree; it's a harmless enough conceit, but not one I share.

When you stated "forced", I gained the impression that the DVLA had to be compelled to lease you the registration against its will. A misunderstanding, that's all.

Can I check what that means: you were able to force the DVLA to sell you a specific registration number without it going to auction? If so, then how does this work, do you have any links?
I don't believe you can force the DVLA to do anything. I wanted a reg which had never been issued, so I rang them up and they added it to the next auction. This is the only way they work now, in order to demonstrate fairness and transparency.

My previous plate (the mirror image of the later one) was simply available for £150 including the transfer fee (bought in 2001) because it had never been issued. However, the advent of companies such as Reg Transfers stepping in and reserving plates en masse for £150 each, then selling on for immediate extortionate profits forced DVLA to introduce the auctions themselves.

Reg Transfers, being the honourable company they are, advertised my plate as if it were their own before the auction, obviously in order to gauge reaction and to see if they could demand a higher price. However, thankfully, no-one except me was interested in my initials and birthday, so I was the only bidder on the day and bought it direct from the auction rather than have to pay Reg Transfers their double mark-up for doing nothing.

If I recall correctly, those W124 would have fallen within a "loophole" of vehicle importation, where vehicles within certain parameters of age and mileage could be registered as new. I brought in a couple of Japanese imports in the 00's under these circumstances.

As such, they would act as an exception outside of this situation.
As another example , I recall one enthusiastic mechanic in the Ford dealership in Falkirk purchased a new body shell , new engine and all other components to assemble a Mk II Cortina 1600E , which must have been his dream car , some years after the model was discontinued .

He had to take it to be inspected , after which he was able to register it as a new car .

Another anomaly .

Also in Falkirk , one of the managers in the VW dealership bought their ‘last edition’ Beetle , with the plate on the dash certifying it to be no 98 out of the last 100 officially imported from Germany . He never registered the car and when I saw it a few years later it was on axle stands in his garage with dust sheets over it .

I have no idea where it is now ... perhaps still there , but sometimes unsold cars do sit around and can be registered later .

First point agreed, but it's still a number. Most of the 'personal plate' trade is based on 'looks like' to some degree; it's a harmless enough conceit, but not one I share.

When you stated "forced", I gained the impression that the DVLA had to be compelled to lease you the registration against its will. A misunderstanding, that's all.
The only ones I kind of see a point in is where the number happens to be the model of the car .

I know within the MBOC there is a 190SL with that number also a 450SEL with that as a number .

One might be able to get registrations like C220CDI or E320AMG if such took the owners fancy .

A new car is issued a new registration. In present days that will include a year identifier, but it is not necessarily ‘age related’ to the vehicle which may have been manufactured earlier but only first registered now .

An age related mark is one appropriate to the age of the vehicle and may be prefix , suffix , year numbered , or pre suffix .

Pre suffix plates are not ‘dateless’ as there have been numerous formats as issued at different times by different licensing authorities , with different numbers of letters , numbers and in different orders , so they are ‘age related’ to cars to which they are retrospectively assigned . You could not , for example , put a 1950’s number onto a 1920’s car .

I gave an example of a ‘new registration’ which was assigned to my Indian assembled W124 which was not age related to the car .

The two things are entirely different and it is an important distinction.

build date is irrelevant :)

And you can put a "1950s" reg on any age car....

build date is irrelevant :)

And you can put a "1950s" reg on any age car....
The point is not the legality , it is the correctness for the period and pre suffix plates do have different formats for different locations and periods - they do correspond to different dates .

The very earliest plates can be a single letter and single digit ; then came two letters and anything from one to three digits ; in my local area a former employer has SX 1 which was the first registration issued in West Lothian , and in spite of being a titled gent with a large country house keeps it on an old Land Rover on his estate ; another friend has SX 33 .

For quite a while , three letters , preceded or followed by up to three numbers was quite normal , and in the fifties they brought out the format of two letters preceded or followed by up to four numbers . The implementation of these formats varied from one local authority to another ; and there could be different groups of numbers allocated to private cars and commercial vehicles ; plus authorities such as the forces also had ( and still have ) their own numbers .

It is not an array of random undated strings .

And build date can be very relevant ; if you import a car which was previously used abroad ; ex pats coming home for example , you will be assigned a plate appropriate to the age of the vehicle ; this happened to my sister who had her Mondeo registered on BFG plates while stationed in Germany , where the car was bought , and it was assigned a D prefix plate when she came home , to reflect the age of the car , although she came home around 1990 ( I know because I went out with my daughter aged about three for their last Christmas over there ) .

Last edited:
The point is not the legality , it is the correctness for the period and pre suffix plates do have different formats for different locations and periods - they do correspond to different dates .

The very earliest plates can be a single letter and single digit ; then came two letters and anything from one to three digits ; in my local area a former employer has SX 1 which was the first registration issued in West Lothian , and in spite of being a titled gent with a large country house keeps it on an old Land Rover on his estate ; another friend has SX 33 .

For quite a while , three letters , preceded or followed by up to three numbers was quite normal , and in the fifties they brought out the format of two letters preceded or followed by up to four numbers . The implementation of these formats varied from one local authority to another ; and there could be different groups of numbers allocated to private cars and commercial vehicles ; plus authorities such as the forces also had ( and still have ) their own numbers .

It is not an array of random undated strings .

And build date can be very relevant ; if you import a car which was previously used abroad ; ex pats coming home for example , you will be assigned a plate appropriate to the age of the vehicle ; this happened to my sister who had her Mondeo registered on BFG plates while stationed in Germany , where the car was bought , and it was assigned a D prefix plate when she came home , to reflect the age of the car , although she came home around 1990 ( I know because I went out with my daughter aged about three for their last Christmas over there ) .
My Stag was first registered on the Isle of Man, but was imported in 1977, so received an R-reg plate, although it would have been a P had it been first registered on the mainland. Just one of those anomalies.

My ex-police bike is a 2010 model, on a 13 plate; the new model in 2011 killed off demand for the previous one, and the force bought up a batch of 'new old stock' Yamahas at a knock-down price from the importers.

This happens often in the classic car world.
A 1960s vehicle is rebuilt and give a current registration. Or even worse.....a Q plate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom