Number plate LED`s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cymruambyth

Car
I`ve bought some LED number plate lights (complete units, not bulbs) to replace the old yellowy ones. I`ve had a quick search online and it seems the only way to do this is to strip everything from under the boot lid...is this correct? Seems a lot of hassle!

Yes that's the way to do it, I fitted mine and had to remove the lining of the boot lid and the plastic bit behind the number plate, the new ones were a very tight fit and required some force to get them to lock in place.

I did them on my E55 & it's not as difficult as it seems. Probably 30 mins tops & well worth it.

I`ve bought some LED number plate lights (complete units, not bulbs) to replace the old yellowy ones. I`ve had a quick search online and it seems the only way to do this is to strip everything from under the boot lid...is this correct? Seems a lot of hassle!

Do you not get errors with these?

How do you take out the bulb holder metal prong thing (rubbish description I know )

You will not get any bulb errors with these units. To remove the "blub holder metal prong thing"
you need to drop the boot lid lining and take off the plastic lower panel on the boot lid, then remove the complete bulb holder, leaving you with nice hole to fit the new ones into.

You will not get any bulb errors with these units. To remove the "blub holder metal prong thing"
you need to drop the boot lid lining and take off the plastic lower panel on the boot lid, then remove the complete bulb holder, leaving you with nice hole to fit the new ones into.

How does the plastic boot lid section come off? I was about to fit these units to mind, got to the plastic lid, but couldn't get it off without the fear of damaging something.

I bought some complete units and had to strip down the whole of the boot lid basically.

It was a waste of time as they were far too bright, like having reversing lights on all the time. Instead I replaced just the wedges with led which give white light but not so bright that it might fail an MOT.

How does the plastic boot lid section come off? I was about to fit these units to mind, got to the plastic lid, but couldn't get it off without the fear of damaging something.

I don't think there are any screws, but there are lots of plastic clips round the edge. I managed to do it without breaking any of them :bannana:

Get some trim removal tools, I bought some not long ago and they've been really useful all over the car.

Put similar in mine about 4 years back , still going strong, yes you have to strip the inner panel, on the w211 the outer lower panel too.

Why cant you just get some led bulbs?

^ You could and its up to you.. but I found on the bulbs alone that it either kept blowing and triggering the dash or were loose in the holder.. so I just stripped the boot panel down and fitted the new bright units and I have to say I like them.. and they DON'T fail an MOT as I've just passed mine no issues...:thumb:

^ You could and its up to you.. but I found on the bulbs alone that it either kept blowing and triggering the dash or were loose in the holder.. so I just stripped the boot panel down and fitted the new bright units and I have to say I like them.. and they DON'T fail an MOT as I've just passed mine no issues...:thumb:

Ah right fair enough

I'm struggling to find bulbs that done error

Where did you get the units from? Do they make a set for the w209 Clk?

Thanks

Why do you want brighter number plate lights?

Why do you want brighter number plate lights?

It`s not so much that they`re brighter...I just hate old looking yellow bulbs.....makes cars look old and dated. Front fogs next.

IMG_0392.jpg

heres what mine look like,

sry for the pic quality , it was when i first put them in

Each to their own & all that but to my eye those are too bright, unnecessarily bright, & actually a distraction for motorists behind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom