Number plate legalities?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I have a car in for an MOT at the moment, and had a call to say that it's failed because of the number plates having a honeycomb background (below). It has probably passed the last five or more mots with them on, at the same place (main dealer), so does anyone know for sure whether or not they are illegal please?

If I have to get them replaced, I'd rather get something like 3D plates, which I doubt the dealer will do. They are awaiting my instruction, and it's a pass otherwise!

They look like they've got the number plate manufacturer mark on the bottom right, If they were not road legal the manufacturer of the plate would have not put their mark on.

So I would say there are legal.

But if you go on a plate making website and click on make road legal plates, all your available options will come up, like 3d and carbon fonts etc

Not sure about the honeycomb but 3D font is legal so no reason why they shouldn't do it as I doubt they make their own plates, will be outsourced.

Alternatively, go get them yourself and ask them to put them on. If they supply them, they will only put their advert at the bottom

Honeycomb is illegal on cars registered after 1st of Sept 2001 (when the current format came in).

Honeycomb is illegal on cars registered after 1st of Sept 2001 (when the current format came in).

Well you learn something new every day :)

Anyhoooo, this is probably illegal as well but I've sat behind the bib and never been pulled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 113
Well you learn something new every day :)

Anyhoooo, this is probably illegal as well but I've sat behind the bib and never been pulled.

Nothing probably about it.

Thanks for all the replies. I've just phoned DVLA, having previously checked their website, and the plain white background applies to all vehicles after 1973, which would previously have had silver on black plates, so there you go!

I remember when I had them made, the supplier said that they would soon be no longer allowable as an option, but I thought, like Khz, that you were ok if you got in before a cut off point, and as I said, they've never failed before.

I see a fair few cars running with illegal black / silver plates - like recently an SL500 (DRZ4755).

I'm surprised if they don't get pulled more readily as they stand out like a sore thumb.

I see a fair few cars running with illegal black / silver plates - like recently an SL500 (DRZ4755).

I'm surprised if they don't get pulled more readily as they stand out like a sore thumb.

We have the Thames Valley police carry out training at the airfield where I work. They have all seen the plate and all had the same answer. Yes it's illegal but as long as ANPR can read it that's fine with them as they have much more important things to be spending their time doing.......

They do however pull people who try to make letters look different.... Like putting a black screw cap between two number ones to make an H etc.

A bit like speeding. They say they don't pull over anybody on the motorway doing less than 91 mph (unless they were driving badly) or they would travel less than 1 mile in an entire shift. :D

Last edited:
Our local dealer makes their own plates. Does not take long and they are good quality. £25 a pair last time I had some made up

Is very illegal worse than just normal illegal? :D

Illegal ...

Far bigger than a sick parrot.

Footballers have never claimed to be "as ill as an Eagle"

Illegal, must not have a background pattern.

7 Number plate design specification
Vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1973 must display
number plates:
. made of a reflective material
. with a white background at the front of the vehicle and
a yellow background at the back of the vehicle, and
. with black letters and numbers.

I can't see where it says it's illegal, very or normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom