Number plate on retention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
I am on the verge of selling one of my old number plates on e-bay.

Once I fill out the form to add the appropriate Nominee and his car details, will I need to do this for him every time he changes car as I am the Grantee ?

No once he puts it on a car the plate stays with the car and is owned by the registerd keeper of the car.

The buyer has now come back with this, any advice would be much appreciated :

If you are acting as a Grantee, & you wish to pass the plate on to me as the new Grantee, it does not include the £80 to transfer to my car.

If you wish to have me as a Nominee, then you still own the Reg Number. You are simply assigning it to my car but I do not own the actual Reg at all.
You will be liable for the Retention Fees when they are due in 2013.

You need the V317 to do either of the above & transfer plate to car.

This is why I want to be the new Grantee only, & pay £200 for the Grantee Doc because it will cost me £80 to stick it on my car.

Last edited:
The buyer has now come back with this, any advice would be much appreciated :

If you are acting as a Grantee, & you wish to pass the plate on to me as the new Grantee, it does not include the £80 to transfer to my car.

If you wish to have me as a Nominee, then you still own the Reg Number. You are simply assigning it to my car but I do not own the actual Reg at all.
You will be liable for the Retention Fees when they are due in 2013.

You need the V317 to do either of the above & transfer plate to car.

This is why I want to be the new Grantee only, & pay £200 for the Grantee Doc because it will cost me £80 to stick it on my car.

This is not correct, if the plate is on retention then by adding the purchaser as the nominee they can assign the plate to a vehicle registered in their name.

As a plate is on retention the assignment fee (£80) has already been paid.

Now, if the purchaser wishes to hold the plate on retention it potentially is a little bit messier (at least it used to be). If the purchaser wishes to keep it on retention for a period longer than the current validity, then yes he's correct that you would get the reminder and would technically be liable for any fees.

As stated above, once the plate has been assigned to a vehicle it stays with that vehicle until it's retained or transfered in the future.

Remember you never technically own a number plate anyway, you merely have the right to use it. That right then transfers once the plate is assigned to a vehicle.

Finally, if a plate is on a car and is then retained, you now have a choice to nominate both the grantee and the nominee (previously the grantee would always be the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time).

The DVLA have simplified things by intoducing the measure above as well as the ability to renew entitlement's for up to 3 years at a time.

Hope this makes sense.

This is not correct, if the plate is on retention then by adding the purchaser as the nominee they can assign the plate to a vehicle registered in their name.

As a plate is on retention the assignment fee (£80) has already been paid.

The only additional cost is the £25 transfer fee, assuming the plate is going straight onto a car of the new owner.

The only additional cost is the £25 transfer fee, assuming the plate is going straight onto a car of the new owner.

Yes, the £25 applies to change or add a nominee. Typically a purchaser would pay this fee, although some sellers offer to cover this cost themselves.

Similarly, retaining a registration from an existing vehicle is £105 (£80 assignment fee + £25 retention fee)

Transferring a registration from one car to another is just £80

Interestingly, these fees have not increased for at least 15+ years (shhhhhhhh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom