Number plate opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
OK, so my user name MAT 8N is my reg number on my SL... As some of you know my name is Matt Ayton.
Anyway, got myself an S class to replace my volvo and i've got a cheap irish dateless plate on it.... Now this has come up for sale M4T BN/M4 TBN.

Do I buy it and 'enhance' it to have a nice pair of plates or will it look a bit silly?

I'm also at the moment of trying to get hold of the owner of MAT 81V to try and strike up a deal with that!

:thumb: or :fail

Are you planning to change your name to M4T ?

If not, I'd save your money.

Never understood the obsession with wanting to let everyone know your name.

PS: keep it legal. Those bothered enough to care will figure it all out what you wanted to tell.

Hi

I had a private plate, you either lover them or indeed hate them.

Our son's car a big, black SUV took on a private plate a couple of years ago when it was just over 3 yrs old.

I may get one for my gle which will be three yrs old in April, 2019.

I'd go for something simple, looked nice and reasonable price and let it go with the car when sold, EG, 5 digits, but no messing with the letters/digits. IMO, a nice plate on a nice, relatively expensive car does make it look better.

Be warned, if your number plate is very easily memorable, the low lives that cut you up and you pipped your horn at, they won't forget your reg.

Its up to you and the police don't seem to care about illegal plates any more.

Tbh all that plates with names on tend to is give a name to the person driving badly.

I can see what you're trying to do but if it just needed spacing then fine, but you need to pi55 around with the lettering then leave it.

If they were successive ie MAT 8N and MAT 9N then go for it but the latter does not mean anything to you.

Perhaps look for MAT 18N or MAT 78N??

Every man and his dog seems to have a private plate nowadays.
When I bought mine back in 1997 they were quite rare (** ADE), it's been on lots of cars over the years but I now sometimes wonder if I still really like it.

Well he wants way to much money for it so think i'll be giving it a miss....hold out to see if i can get MAT 81V :D

These sorts of plates never really look very classy. Why not look for a short plate with your initials and a low/interesting number (M.Y 123) - with the dot being your middle initial?

Mis-spaced plates with a 4 trying to look like an 'A' etc look desperate IMHO and will no doubt land you in trouble with the law in today's ANPR climate, won't pass an MoT either.

I've bought a few cars with personal plates that people have fitted and wished they just had a set of smart dealer plates on a normal registration instead :eek:

Each to their own of course :thumb:

Why would you replace MAT 8N with M4 TBN?

OP refers to adding it and having a pair of plates.

As regards the OP's question - my view is that the first plate MAT 8N works - the second one doesn't really. Trying a bit too hard.

But what do I know? So what keeps you happy!

Nobody cares what your name is......

But if you are in front of me driving like a moron, then I will certainly know your name. :)

If your registration was something like ZX71SFG then I will not remember you.

Haha :)

I can see what you're trying to do but if it just needed spacing then fine, but you need to pi55 around with the lettering then leave it.

If they were successive ie MAT 8N and MAT 9N then go for it but the latter does not mean anything to you.

Perhaps look for MAT 18N or MAT 78N??

If just a matter of phonetics , I'd have thought MAT 80N or MAT 810 would be closer .

My SL came with an Irish plate which I'm not so fussed about and I have a notion to revert to a K prefix , ideally something like K300 and SL somewhere in the last three letters , or whatever I can find when the time comes . The original K plate has no ring to it , although it would then match my 190 which is also a K prefix .

In my view, there's nothing better than a legally spaced plate which takes you a second to "figure out" or "decode". Worst case is spacing out something dead obvious. This is like telling a joke and laughing at it before anyone else had a chances to catch up.

Well I have never bothered with a personal plate,until my son suggested it he had seen pates on the DVLA site,so a few years ago I looked and found a plate that spelled my entire surname plus my initial,yes it has a 4 to be used as A and a slightly wider gap between the initial and the surname it cost £275 my son had to buy one with 8 for the A and his cost £500,not mega money,the number plate cameras still work on it as I got a speeding fine about 3 years ago,the police when you are driving will not pull you they have better things to do, but when you are parked up watch out, McDonalds is a favourite for the old bill to grab food and then they sit there and take notice of number plates,but another cup of coffee will see them push off and all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom