Number Plate Spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe you might consider that D4 NXO actually looks better than D4N XO! Messing about with spacing in a feeble attempt to be different or attract attention is a bit Chav Essex & Council, as is trying to make words out of number & letter combinations. Leave this sort of thing alone or buy a clapped out Kia or something.
Perhaps Dan’s a Weeknd fan?

Cheers for the advice guys. It's definitely been an interesting read! By the sounds of what I'm reading here and elsewhere its purely pot luck. Some have been pulled after having their plate 2 weeks, whilst others have never been pulled. As much as I like the plate I don't think I want to have the anxiety of am I going to get pulled over every time I see the police in my rear-view mirror. I have seen another plate DAN 7**R which actually says DAN but the following 3 numbers and letter are meaningless so think I may go for that instead

I have a private plate, which, if mis-spaced, would spell my name and part of my surname.

I have never mis-spaced it, so no-one really makes the connection when they see the plate.

But I can see it, obviously, and knowing that my name is hiding in-there somewhere gives me a nice warm feeling inside, and that's good enough for me :)

A cr*p plate on a good car can ruin the whole package, where as a good plate can enhance a the whole package.

Seeing Ferrari, lambo, rolls, bentley etc with cheap hashed plates worth about £350 always make me wonder why.
If you can afford £50k+ for a car you can afford a few grand for a nice plate(which will last a lifetime)

Personally I would rather not have a cheap tacky messed up plate and stick to a standard plate.
But I do like nice plates.

Over the years have bought quite a number of private plates and am currently bidding on one on the DVLA online auction that started today. Possibly been lucky as I’ve never had a tug in sixteen years with two particular plates that I’ve owned that were somewhat modified, but in my personal opinion I’ve not gone overboard with the spacings. Early silver locks could also be a factor in being ignored who knows.

On another note, I find it somewhat annoying that the edge of the plate can no longer be used to identify the country when driving in EU member states.

I can see why the UK can't keep the EU stars symbol, fair enough. But I was hoping that the space on the plate could still be used for another form a GB identifier (e.g. the Union Jack with the wording GB)..

Having to use the old oval GB sticker if off-putting... and at any rate I'll be displaying it in the rear window rather than sticking anything on the paintwork 😱

On another note, I find it somewhat annoying that the edge of the plate can no longer be used to identify the country when driving in EU member states.

I can see why the UK can't keep the EU stars symbol, fair enough. But I was hoping that the space on the plate could still be used for another form a GB identifier (e.g. the Union Jack with the wording GB)..

Having to use the old oval GB sticker if off-putting... and at any rate I'll be displaying it in the rear window rather than sticking anything on the paintwork 😱
I have a shed load of magnetic original Mercedes GB plates somewhere. I must dig them out ready for selling on eBay when people start travelling again!

I have a shed load of magnetic original Mercedes GB plates somewhere. I must dig them out ready for selling on eBay when people start travelling again!

Is the magnet side covered with cloth..........?

Not how it works.
Defence lawyer makes sure the case never gets to court because there was doubt in the mind of the witness as to whether it was an A or a 4 (or how else could the witness have imagined 'DAN'?) Any doubts re correctly identifying the vehicle and the case cannot progress to court. That case might actually be a serious offence.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

By the letter of the law nearly all number plates are illegal. no one can purchase a number plate online as you need to present certain documents to the plate maker upon purchase and the plate maker must be on the approved list. Also ow many vehicles are there driving around with the selling car dealers name and or web address on them or some other phrase added as a footer.

This is actually possible, reputable companies will ask for documents and reference numbers to check that you are entitled to hold the number plate. I have bought several plates like this.

I believe documents can be ‘presented’ remotely, a few months ago I bought a pressed alloy plate via eBay, I was asked to send the appropriate docs via reg’d post. I was a bit concerned about sending the right personal ID, and emailed photographs (taken on my phone) of various docs, and the V5, to make sure they were the correct ones.

They emailed back that they could work from the pics, and produced the plate. I needed a pressed alloy one as it needed to be bent into a curve to follow the rear end of the JZR, and could get one locally.
Just like this :)

By the letter of the law nearly all number plates are illegal. no one can purchase a number plate online as you need to present certain documents to the plate maker upon purchase and the plate maker must be on the approved list.

They are typically sold as 'show plates' with small print saying they are not legal for use on road. Regardless of spacing/font/etc. if you've not had to provide documentation the plates can obviously have any reg. you fancy on them.

Steve Parrish (ex motorcycle/truck racer) had (has?) the reg PEN15...I don't remember him using any spacing to get his point across ! Not sure that i would want to display that plate myself ;)

It's illegal, you know it's illegal, easy answer. Don't break the law.
Others say it depends of the Police and the day they've had? Nope, it's illegal.
You may as well ask if it's ok to drive round with a headlight out? Or any other illegal function of the car?
Surely driving around with a headlight out is more dangerous than misspaced letters on a reg plate? I too have had no problems getting speeding tickets with my plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom