Number Plate Spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On another note, I find it somewhat annoying that the edge of the plate can no longer be used to identify the country when driving in EU member states.

I can see why the UK can't keep the EU stars symbol, fair enough. But I was hoping that the space on the plate could still be used for another form a GB identifier (e.g. the Union Jack with the wording GB)..

Having to use the old oval GB sticker if off-putting... and at any rate I'll be displaying it in the rear window rather than sticking anything on the paintwork 😱
I totally agree. I took my R230 to France last year and with the roof down you cant see a sticker in the folded away rear window and forget magnetic as the boot lid is aluminium, I believe, and the only place I could stick it on was the rear wing.

I totally agree. I took my R230 to France last year and with the roof down you cant see a sticker in the folded away rear window and forget magnetic as the boot lid is aluminium, I believe, and the only place I could stick it on was the rear wing.
I’m sure le gendarme could tell you where to stick it.

Surely driving around with a headlight out is more dangerous than misspaced letters on a reg plate? I too have had no problems getting speeding tickets with my plates.
Quite true, but it doesn't make the other legal, and you can be done for either.

I’m sure le gendarme could tell you where to stick it.
I happily got away with it, not even a second glance, though journey down initially was full of concern for the placement, especially with one gendarme stuck behind me on the motorway for 30km.

For the last 6 or 7 trips each one of of around 2,500 miles I have bought a "clingy" window one from Halfords.
I cleaned the boot really well and then just pressed it on and squeezed out any air bubbles.
Worked fine and never fell off.

For the last 6 or 7 trips each one of of around 2,500 miles I have bought a "clingy" window one from Halfords.
I cleaned the boot really well and then just pressed it on and squeezed out any air bubbles.
Worked fine and never fell off.
That's what i'm gona do if there's a chance of getting down to mates place again in SW France this year. Unfortunately last year bought the GB plate just before getting on the train and then realised magnets don't work with aluminium.

It's really frustrating knowing half the people think its a terrible idea spacing one letter incorrectly and obviously very wrong whilst other half have done it and got away with it

It's really frustrating knowing half the people think its a terrible idea spacing one letter incorrectly and obviously very wrong whilst other half have done it and got away with it

People also say they take vehicles with plates like this to their friendly MOT tester who passes vehicle no problem where others would not do this.

Apparently the reason for the rule is wrong spacings mess up ANPR. The possibility that it could make it easier for a human witness to remember it is immaterial. For instance, with this number, DAN XO would stick in the mind more than D4 NXO.

However, accident/incident witnesses don’t raise cash. ANPR systems do, and will also have benefits elsewhere - entry to prebooked airport car parks, for instance!!
A strange view point , laws are in place for a reason , vehicle identity is very important , the regulations came in long before ANPR ... as it’s an mot failure then your insurance could be null and void ....

People also say they take vehicles with plates like this to their friendly MOT tester who passes vehicle no problem where others would not do this.
Yeh I'm not worried about the MOT situation as I have a friendly tester. Or worst come to worst change plates when needed.... And in terms of ANPR having spoken to a few people with very similar plates there is no issue at all with that plate.

One of my plates is in the same context as the one you're looking at(the other 2 aren't) it's the one I bought because my 'proper' gets ANPR'd as the one I'm talking about.

I run it in the D4 NXO version and not the D4N XO as I think it looks tacky, I don't think I'd ever run it the other way.

The one I change for MOT is just all squashed together D4NXO style, which I personally don't think looks as bad. (never had police issues or anything, and been followed numerous times), I change it for the MOT because its so simple to and saves aggravation.

Whichever half, it’s half of a very very small percentage of people who even notice.
To the rest of the world, a 4 is a 4. If they want an A, they’ll have an A. Only in those obsessed with number plates is a number ever a letter. To the rest, when a number is a letter it’s shorthand for a word (eg 4 = for, 8 = ate as in m8). The wider public is no more interested in translating 4 to A than eating their own excrement with a knife and fork. Begs the question then, who is it for? Now you’ve answered that, why not just put your name on the dash. Better still, double sided plate in the windscreen....

A 5 though can pull off an S. Only plate I’ve ever seen that did numbers as letters well (and didn’t need to be mis-spaced either) is HAM 15H. Needs no explanation therefore it works. Whole name too. Works well don’t you think DAN 13L?

Whichever half, it’s half of a very very small percentage of people who even notice.
To the rest of the world, a 4 is a 4. If they want an A, they’ll have an A. Only in those obsessed with number plates is a number ever a letter. To the rest, when a number is a letter it’s shorthand for a word (eg 4 = for, 8 = ate as in m8). The wider public is no more interested in translating 4 to A than eating their own excrement with a knife and fork. Begs the question then, who is it for? Now you’ve answered that, why not just put your name on the dash. Better still, double sided plate in the windscreen....

A 5 though can pull off an S. Only plate I’ve ever seen that did numbers as letters well (and didn’t need to be mis-spaced either) is HAM 15H. Needs no explanation therefore it works. Whole name too. Works well don’t you think DAN 13L?
Around here there’s a lady with SU51 RAE on her motor. I love the simplicity and no need for dodgy screw heads etc.

Don't agree, St Helens is our, Rugby League Club, known as SAINTS, I see a car at nearly every match, with the number plate S41 NTS that is obvious it spells SAINTS, wether you are a supporter or not. :) 👍

With the advances in ANPR, does it really matter if a plate is spaced incorrectly? As long as the correct font is used and not tampered with tape or screws etc I don't see an issue. IMO the regulations should be updated to reflect this or relaxed at least IMO. All an ANPR camera has to do is read the letters or numbers and then check against a database if it is legit.

Does 01484332594 look like a phone number? 01484 332594 does.
Formats help people remember long enough to get it written down. In a hit and run, format matters.

Formats help people remember long enough to get it written down. In a hit and run, format matters.
Eh? If a car with the reg,
S41 NTS for example, was involved in a hit and run, I'm pretty sure, people would remember that reg more, as opposed to a normal reg.

But that's the opposite of what you're trying to say... I think.
If it was a hit and run, a quick glimpse at D4N XO would be remembered as Dan XO(because at a glimpse that's what it looks like) quite easily.
Whereas D4 NXO not so easy.

I don't believe the police wouldn't be intelligent enough to work out and check different combinations to find the suspect vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom