Number Plate Spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve never been stopped by the police.
You need to get out more. The police have stopped me four times for routine checks.

First time was way back in 1963 in West London when I was on my brand new Honda C100, one of the very first in the country. It quickly became obvious that I was only stopped so the two policemen could satisfy their curiosity as to what the hell the bike was.

Second time was a couple of months later on the same bike a few days after passing my driving test. With my 11 year old sister on the pillion we were riding to Guildford when signalled to enter a lay-by with several police around. “Just a routine check son”, said the officer as he eyed up my sister with a suspicious look. After asking our ages he demanded I show him my driving licence. Back then it was a little red booklet and folded up in the back was my driving test pass notification whilst waiting for my formal certificate. The officer opened the book at the front and having confirmed my age he grinned as he enquired “Do you know that learner riders mustn’t carry passengers?” “Yes”, I responded. Nodding knowingly he then asked “Did your L plates just fall off then?” “No, I don’t need them now because I’ve passed my test” I replied. “No you haven’t” he argued. I eventually had to tell him that my pass notification was in the back of the booklet, as instructed on the notification. Trying to hold back his annoyance at being caught out by a kid, he then set about trying to find something wrong with the bike. Unsuccessfully. Begrudgingly he sent us on our way. He definitely wasn’t the nicest copper I’ve ever met.

Third time was about 20 years ago when driving home from Milton Keynes at about 1am. On a poorly lit road a car came up close behind me and flashed its lights. I didn’t know why and thought it may be the police, but there was no way I was going to stop just there to find out. It followed me for half a mile or so with lights still flashing until we reached a main road with good lighting. I turned left and pulled into a nearby lay-by where the other car followed. That was when my thoughts that it could be a police car were confirmed. The police woman was totally fine with my explanation as to why I hadn’t stopped when first flashed. She asked me where I was going (home after spending the evening with friends) and told me that she was just checking. I was more than happy to cooperate and I was shortly on my way again with no problems whatever, reassured that the police were proactively looking after my interests.

The last time was in Melbourne five years ago when driving from the airport in the early afternoon. A policeman guided me into a coned off area where I was asked to do a breath test. Thankfully I hadn’t taken advantage of the free alcohol on the flight from Singapore so in no time at all I continued on my way after a cheery chat with the officer.

In addition to those times, I have been stopped for speeding. I was riding through town on my Triumph Bonneville when I caught sight of a police bike a hundred yards or so behind me. I slowed to the limit and carried on, but the police bike caught up with me a signalled for me to pull over. He asked me how fast I was going and I apologised as I told him the truth and that I knew I was breaking the limit. He gave me a bit of a telling off before saying that other than my speed I was riding very safely, so he was letting me go. “But not next time” he grinned.

So five motoring encounters with the police and only one miserable one. Contrary to rumour (and a few opinions on this forum) they’re mostly reasonable people doing their jobs in our best interests.

You need to get out more. The police have stopped me four times for routine checks.

First time was way back in 1963 in West London when I was on my brand new Honda C100, one of the very first in the country. It quickly became obvious that I was only stopped so the two policemen could satisfy their curiosity as to what the hell the bike was.

Second time was a couple of months later on the same bike a few days after passing my driving test. With my 11 year old sister on the pillion we were riding to Guildford when signalled to enter a lay-by with several police around. “Just a routine check son”, said the officer as he eyed up my sister with a suspicious look. After asking our ages he demanded I show him my driving licence. Back then it was a little red booklet and folded up in the back was my driving test pass notification whilst waiting for my formal certificate. The officer opened the book at the front and having confirmed my age he grinned as he enquired “Do you know that learner riders mustn’t carry passengers?” “Yes”, I responded. Nodding knowingly he then asked “Did your L plates just fall off then?” “No, I don’t need them now because I’ve passed my test” I replied. “No you haven’t” he argued. I eventually had to tell him that my pass notification was in the back of the booklet, as instructed on the notification. Trying to hold back his annoyance at being caught out by a kid, he then set about trying to find something wrong with the bike. Unsuccessfully. Begrudgingly he sent us on our way. He definitely wasn’t the nicest copper I’ve ever met.

Third time was about 20 years ago when driving home from Milton Keynes at about 1am. On a poorly lit road a car came up close behind me and flashed its lights. I didn’t know why and thought it may be the police, but there was no way I was going to stop just there to find out. It followed me for half a mile or so with lights still flashing until we reached a main road with good lighting. I turned left and pulled into a nearby lay-by where the other car followed. That was when my thoughts that it could be a police car were confirmed. The police woman was totally fine with my explanation as to why I hadn’t stopped when first flashed. She asked me where I was going (home after spending the evening with friends) and told me that she was just checking. I was more than happy to cooperate and I was shortly on my way again with no problems whatever, reassured that the police were proactively looking after my interests.

The last time was in Melbourne five years ago when driving from the airport in the early afternoon. A policeman guided me into a coned off area where I was asked to do a breath test. Thankfully I hadn’t taken advantage of the free alcohol on the flight from Singapore so in no time at all I continued on my way after a cheery chat with the officer.

In addition to those times, I have been stopped for speeding. I was riding through town on my Triumph Bonneville when I caught sight of a police bike a hundred yards or so behind me. I slowed to the limit and carried on, but the police bike caught up with me a signalled for me to pull over. He asked me how fast I was going and I apologised as I told him the truth and that I knew I was breaking the limit. He gave me a bit of a telling off before saying that other than my speed I was riding very safely, so he was letting me go. “But not next time” he grinned.

So five motoring encounters with the police and only one miserable one. Contrary to rumour (and a few opinions on this forum) they’re mostly reasonable people doing their jobs in our best interests.
Maybe I’ve just been lucky, who knows. Maybe I’ve just been in the right place at the right time.

Ive had my fair share of Police magnets in the past... Cossie, RS Turbo, Ford Transits on a Saturday morning going to work 😎 and a couple of big bikes with noisy exhausts.

I used to get stopped quite regularly up to my early 20s, as the 'designated driver' in an oldish car late at night (and once in a brand new company car). Never had any problems or hassle and I was never asked to take a breath test (I only ever had soft drinks when driving). At the time they were supposed to state the reason why they'd stopped you - I was once told it was because I was 'following a suspicious route'!

I’ve just remembered another time when I was questioned by the police when in my car. I was already stopped at traffic lights when I was 18 and in my Jag Mk7. It was late evening and I had my overalls on because I’d been helping my friend working on his motorbike. I’ve always looked young for my age, so seeing this young kid with a mucky face and wearing even murkier overalls whilst driving a pristine Jag at night must have looked suspicious. Of course I didn’t have any identification with me and it was long before easy instant access to DVLA records. The foot patrol bobby made me drive him to the police station where they phoned my home to get confirmation of me and my car. My dad had just got home from the pub and thought it was just one of my mates having a prank, so he denied any knowledge of me. I was well fed and watered during my overnight stay in the cop shop!

I had this plate on my M6 for over 2 years and luckily I never had any issues with the police surprisingly. However when I sold the car I transferred the number plate on another car in the same layout but on the normal white and yellow plates and we took a drive up to Manchester where I got stopped for the spacing on the plate. They gave me 7 days to rectify it and I had to take the car to a garage where they sign the form to say the plates where correct and then take it to my local police station. So as many people have said on here I think it’s really down to how strict your police are in your area. London, Essex and Hertfordshire police seem to be pretty relaxed when it comes to number plates IMO and from my experience. But it’s also potluck and if the police officer present has woken up on the wrong side of the bed :) 23135439-DCD5-4CC2-812B-8708B3DCC6D3.jpeg

Can't blame the police when it's not correct and not even the correct colour.
That’s my point, i never got stopped in 2 years when I had the black and silver plates. Only when I had the original colour plates on another car I was stopped and it was when I was up north. So I think it’s literally just potluck if you get pulled or not. And to be honest, like many other things you can have on your car if you know it’s illegal then you have to accept the risk.

That’s my point, i never got stopped in 2 years when I had the black and silver plates. Only when I had the original colour plates on another car I was stopped and it was when I was up north. So I think it’s literally just potluck if you get pulled or not. And to be honest, like many other things you can have on your car if you know it’s illegal then you have to accept the risk.

Don't think that makes any sense. It's either legal or not.
Just because I get away with nicking stuff in Cumbria but get caught in Angus does not mean the police are at fault. ;)

Don't think that makes any sense. It's either legal or not.
Just because I get away with nicking stuff in Cumbria but get caught in Angus does not mean the police are at fault. ;)
No I’m not saying that it’s legal In my local area. Just over the years I’ve realised that the police are not really that fussed with the odd number plate offence. I think they have a lot more important and serious crimes to deal with. And to be honest I think there in there own rights to turn a blind eye to a number plate when people are getting away with a lot worse crimes that need to be caught

No I’m not saying that it’s legal In my local area. Just over the years I’ve realised that the police are not really that fussed with the odd number plate offence. I think they have a lot more important and serious crimes to deal with. And to be honest I think there in there own rights to turn a blind eye to a number plate when people are getting away with a lot worse crimes that need to be caught

OK get it. Well no I don't.

If you carry an illegal plate then you are going to come foul at some point.

I had this plate on my M6 for over 2 years and luckily I never had any issues with the police surprisingly. However when I sold the car I transferred the number plate on another car in the same layout but on the normal white and yellow plates and we took a drive up to Manchester where I got stopped for the spacing on the plate. They gave me 7 days to rectify it and I had to take the car to a garage where they sign the form to say the plates where correct and then take it to my local police station. So as many people have said on here I think it’s really down to how strict your police are in your area. London, Essex and Hertfordshire police seem to be pretty relaxed when it comes to number plates IMO and from my experience. But it’s also potluck and if the police officer present has woken up on the wrong side of the bed :) View attachment 108259
I agree, the plates are very common in the part of the country I live in.

Talking about plates, motorcyclists have been using not only wrong spacing, but tiny little plates for decades - for whatever reason, and it’s their choice and risk to do so. I’ve been motorcycling for 30 years and yes the plates can spoil the looks of the bike. But I have never risked a small plate.

would i use a plate on my car with wrong spacing? 🤷‍♂️ Well, it’s my choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom