Number plate stolen overnight!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
Noticed this morning when glancing at my car before travelling to work that some little bahstard ripped my number plate off during the night :mad::mad:

Only the front plate was taken and it was held on by super sticky pads and the car was facing away from my house. Reported it to the police, they gave me a reference number and said to tell this to any officer I get pulled over by.

Driving 500 miles up to Glasgow this weekend so I'm certain to get tugged after being picked up by some ANPR cameras en route!! :wallbash:

Has this happened to anyone else?

Will also report it to DVLA.

Last edited:
Driving 500 miles up to Glasgow this weekend so I'm certain to get tugged after being picked up by some ANPR cameras en route!! :wallbash:

You can't replace the number plate before you go? I would have though a new number plate was a priority.

Russ

Yes,about 7yrs ago,the police reckoned my plate would be used for fill ups and
drive offs,without paying of course,never heard any more about it,just had another plate
made.

Take logbook to any car dealer or virtually any car accessory shop and they will make a replacement there and then. Why run the risk of getting a ticket for no front number plate?

The UK is pretty lax about this sort of thing. At least you can just get another plate made up. Out here in Italy (and I think some other areas of the EU) if a plate is lost or stolen the car gets re registered and a complete new number issued. Costs about 400 euros I think.

I've got another plate being made first thing tomorrow so will have a number plate on the car. The officer I reported it to at the crime bureau said their system will be alerted and the car should be intercepted when I pass through ANPR cameras.

I suppose the police won't know if the number plate is on MY car or a possible criminal's car until they pull me (or them) over to investigate.

Last edited:
If your plate was intended to be put on a car, they would have taken both of them. Your plate was probably tossed into a hedge 10 minutes after it was removed. Some people have no logic to them or their acts.

Russ

The UK is pretty lax about this sort of thing. At least you can just get another plate made up. Out here in Italy (and I think some other areas of the EU) if a plate is lost or stolen the car gets re registered and a complete new number issued. Costs about 400 euros I think.

Jeez.

That would be great if they then flagged the stolen plates and it didn't cost 400 euros to re-register. I would be welding the plates to my car if I lived there!

Plates alone are archaic really. There should be a system that uses some kind of tag meaning the plates are useless to another vehicle but should still be displayed for information and be mandatory still.

That way those who spent a lot of money buying the right to use personal plates won't lose all their cash.

Jeez.

Plates alone are archaic really. There should be a system that uses some kind of tag meaning the plates are useless to another vehicle but should still be displayed for information and be mandatory still.

You mean like in Italy? :p

If a plate gets stolen in Italy, your car gets new plates. Your old plates become totally useless to any other vehicle.

You mean like in Italy? :p

If a plate gets stolen in Italy, your car gets new plates. Your old plates become totally useless to any other vehicle.

No, as it costs €400 - so that system is shyte.

With my idea, the car can then be given a new identity remotely and the owner just has to buy a cheap pair of plates.

:thumb:

Jeez.

That would be great if they then flagged the stolen plates and it didn't cost 400 euros to re-register. I would be welding the plates to my car if I lived there!

One of the reasons ours stays UK registered. The totally ludicrous insurance premiums being the main one.

No, as it costs €400 - so that system is shyte.

With my idea, the car can then be given a new identity remotely and the owner just has to buy a cheap pair of plates.

:thumb:
The costs associated is down to how cars are bought/sold in Italy. Rather than just informing the DVLA by a letter that you are transferring the registered KEEPER (not the owner - in the UK there is no central database of car owners); when a car is bought/sold in Italy, both buyer and seller go to the local council to register the sale. This is done as a legal procedure, (with "bolli" - a high value stamp essentially) and tracked. So when you need to change the registration, it's back to the council... makes for wonderful bureaucracy... and keeps so many people in jobs.

Jeez.

One of the reasons ours stays UK registered. The totally ludicrous insurance premiums being the main one.
Really? I've got an old audi A4 in Turin, and I pay about 60-euros a year in insurance. Admittedly, the car is probably not worth much more, and I had to get a little tracker thing fitted by the insurance company; but it was worth it. I can find details of the insurance company if you want.

M.

I was pulled by the Police in a rental car recently as the plates had been stolen from it and used on a BMW recently (it was a Citroen). They was very polite and explained why I was pulled. I was more impressed by his stealth driving. I saw him pass me one way (you do tend to look for the the police sometimes) and 5 minutes later he popped up behind me!

All sorted in 3 minutes, but it shows they do follow this stuff up.

The costs associated is down to how cars are bought/sold in Italy. Rather than just informing the DVLA by a letter that you are transferring the registered KEEPER (not the owner - in the UK there is no central database of car owners); when a car is bought/sold in Italy, both buyer and seller go to the local council to register the sale. This is done as a legal procedure, (with "bolli" - a high value stamp essentially) and tracked. So when you need to change the registration, it's back to the council... makes for wonderful bureaucracy... and keeps so many people in jobs.

Really? I've got an old audi A4 in Turin, and I pay about 60-euros a year in insurance. Admittedly, the car is probably not worth much more, and I had to get a little tracker thing fitted by the insurance company; but it was worth it. I can find details of the insurance company if you want.

M.
That would be useful. Best I could get for the 124 was 900 euros third party or 3000 comprehensive compared to around £200 comprehensive with year round EU cover insured in the UK

I really don't understand whats going on now. The "originally posted by" bit seems to get allotted to the wrong person.

Sticky pads are a stupid idea.

Tamper proof torx bolts for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom