Number plate transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTank88

Car
14' C63 Diamond White Coupe
I'm going to look at a car this Saturday with a good chance I'll end up buying it.

I sold my old car with private plate last week, but I forgot to retain my number plate and now the new owner has it. He's agreed to gift it to me whenever I need it.

This is what I am planning..

-Keep new owner on standby to gift my number plate during my car viewing, he's agreed to this
- as soon as I buy the car and I am new owner, I ask new car owner to gift my private plate to my new car, using online dvla service
- get insurance etc on new car on recently gifted private plate details and drive away

This will all have to happen in a couple hours is this feasible?

Want to avoid paying retention and insurance admin fee if I can :)

I would get it put on retention, then you know it is safe from any change of mind by the new owner. Also should the car be written off in the meantime you could have problems getting onto your new car.

As Trickythemerc said. Get the plate on retention ASAP, then worry about the rest later. And yes it will cost you to have it on retention, but it's worth the effort.

As for insurance admin fee, my insurer (Aviva) does not charge an admin fee for changes made online. They will also waive the admin fee for changes made over the phone if you tell them you tried to do it online but failed for whatever reason. Your insurer might have a different policy, though.

As Trickythemerc said. Get the plate on retention ASAP, then worry about the rest later. And yes it will cost you to have it on retention, but it's worth the effort.
There is no retention fee, its £80 to swap it to another car or retain it for 10 years(which also Includes the transfer whenever).
And as has been said, most insurers don't charge for a plate change.

I've requested him to transfer it to one of my other cars as soon as he can.

I don't know if this will cost anything can't find a clear answer online, all I can find is that it costs £80 to take it off a car and put on retention, but considering he is the new owner of the plate also it seems best for him to 'gift' it to me.

It will cost you £80 each time you transfer the plate. Just get the new owner to put it on retention (£80 ) then gift it to you and then you can put it on your vehicle at your leisure. Saga do not charge for plate changes.

It's 80 quid evertime you change it, whether it's to another car or retention, the retention also covers the transfer.

The ancient yearly extra £25 for retention that you're probably thinking about went about 15 years ago.

I've requested him to transfer it to one of my other cars as soon as he can.

I don't know if this will cost anything can't find a clear answer online, all I can find is that it costs £80 to take it off a car and put on retention, but considering he is the new owner of the plate also it seems best for him.

This will cost you £160 to eventually get it on your new car.
Put it on retention for £80, get him to send you the retention certificate and/or No. Then when you're ready put it on your car.

Don't faff about with gifting stuff and transferring ownership.....basically the plate is his unless you pay the £25 extra to change the nominee details on the retention form.

If you trust the buyer of your old car it's not an issue.

I've swapped hundreds of plates and it's never a problem....80 quid, bosh, done.

Don't think you can, the DVLA will not recognise the new reg on the new vehicle and will probably refuse road tax as the vehicle, your old one, will already be taxed. Normally take a couple of days.

Get him to put in on rentention filling in you as the grantee then you own it and with your address on it: it will come straight to you ready to use within the next 10yrs and if you are putting it on a car you own you use the certificate number and 5 minutes does it online. It will obviously cost the guy whose making you the grantee £80 and he can do this in couple of minutes online. And then it’s yours and you can receive a email once he does it to confirm it’s done. Do a s a p.

So we have been trying this, but it's not been working, it says unable to find vehicle record. Bear in mind the ownership change was done just a few days ago, so I'm not sure any of us currently have the 'latest' V5C as it's not come through the post yet with the new owner details, so we only have the old V5C with my owner details on it still, with my private plate.

I did the ownership change online on DVLA on the day. Any ideas?

Just spoke to DVLA, looks like nothing can be done until he gets the new V5C.

When he gets it, he will retain it, and I'll assign it to my car.

Reopening this for some advice.

I'm thinking about selling my plate using an online plate buyer.

Do I just sell it on and put my old plates back on ?

Anything to pay , apply for a new v5 ? , phone the insurance company ?

Anything else . Thanks.

Anything else . Thanks.
To make sure you get the correct info, I suggest check on the DVLA website.

Anything else . Thanks.

First thing to do is to put the plate on retention if you're serious about selling it. This can be done HERE at a cost of £80

The DVLA will then automatically issue a new plate to the car, usually the original one but not always, and send you a notice to this effect entitling you to buy new number plates and inform your insurer. A new V5 will usually follow pretty quickly.

That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom