Number Plate - using a screw + cap to slightly alter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting discussion, I have enjoyed reading it.

While it would seem that altering a plate to make a recognisable word or name would make it easier for say a human witness to an incident to remember what they saw, it appears that while helpful, it could confuse the cash-making APNR system, so it's illegal.........

Last edited:
i am looking to buy a number plate, and there is a choice of 2, the 1st plate has h at the start, which i need it to read as an "a" would it be illegal for me to put a black screw cap t the top of the "h" to make it look like "a" ? Also the second plate, there is a "11" in the middle which i need it to read as "h" so could i put a black screw cap in-between the "11" to make it look like h, i would not be altering any letters here

ffs.

Interesting discussion, I have enjoyed reading it.

While it would seem that altering a plate to make a recognisable word or name would make it easier for say a human witness to an incident to remember what they saw, it appears that while helpful, it could confuse the cash-making APNR system, so it's illegal.........

Isn't that the ANPR that is fitted in Police cars so that they can easily identify vehicles that are uninsured, untaxed, un-MoTed, owned by known criminals, or have been stolen and not yet had their identity removed.

If that's what you mean by "cash-making" then, yes, that's the system.

i am looking to buy a number plate, and there is a choice of 2, the 1st plate has H at the start, which i need it to read as an "A" would it be illegal for me to put a black screw cap t the top of the "H" to make it look like "A" ? also the second plate, there is a "11" in the middle which i need it to read as "H" so could i put a black screw cap in-between the "11" to make it look like H, i would not be altering any letters here

I should save up for KNO8, if I were you...

Yes, I know, but I couldn't resist it.

Last edited:
Isn't that the ANPR that is fitted in Police cars so that they can easily identify vehicles that are uninsured, untaxed, un-MoTed, owned by known criminals, or have been stolen and not yet had their identity removed.

If that's what you mean by "cash-making" then, yes, that's the system.

Good point, and you are quite right to pick me up on it.

Tunnel vision on my part, I was thinking more of speed cameras......

Malcolm

Last edited:
Good point, and you are quite right to pick me up on it.

Tunnel vision on my part, I was thinking more of speed cameras......

Malcolm

Oh I'm with you, I see ANPR every day in car parks, service stops....
Clearly there to enforce private money making schemes :)

The trouble is if you confuse the ANPR and it just happens to look like a dodgy vehicle on the database then you will be having many bad days :)

The DVLA announced they were going to allow people to space the letters as they wanted a couple of years back, but never heard any more about it, anyone else know?

Just had a search about and can only find forums discussing the announcement, but nothing more than that.

I would have bought X1 VGH if it had been true, because XIV GH is 14 in Roman numerals and means something to me, and GH are my initials.
Plus it is a clean looking plate.

No funny shaped fonts, no misplaced screws (which I hate anyway even when located properly, always stick mine on) and not going to 'upset' people with high blood pressure. ;)

Attachments

• ml.jpg
    ml.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom