Number plate - would you believe it !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talbir

MB Enthusiast
This company, Motor Marks....last year, i found this number plate which would be perfect for my name, TAL 131R....plate was up at £1,495 on their website.

I bought the plate over the phone, sent in full payment via cheque, all deposited. Things dragged on for a couple of months with no response....cheque was deposited. When i chased, they said it should process within the next week or two. Ended up with no progress and after alot of chasing, i got my money back.

The number plate then appeared on ebay....for £6,495 !!! What had happened was they had my V5 with the documents i sent in and the V5 had my name on it....so they obviously felt more money was to be made.

Now check this out....:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHERISHED-NUM...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Unbelieveable !!!

talbir

I see they have had an offer Talbir - is that you ?

Marc

Looks like you never got the number plate as all you paid for was the VAT!!!!!
What a bunch ar5eh0les.

I think they read about your garage and decided to take a punt!! ;) :D

Initiative?

Well, they knew nothing about the name Talbir until they got my V5....the V5 was for the black 500E, so that was a dumb move on my part. Should have got a friend to retain it !

Initiative maybe, but nontheless, what a cheek ! The lies on the phone about the time it was taking them etc and excuses...stinks !

Yes, i have made an offer for 1,495. That's the money they took from me and kept deposited in their accounts for several months.

I ain't paying a penny more and neither will anyone else me thinks....not many people with the name Talbir and then they'd have to be keen on number plates as well, then be keen enough to spend 11k....not happening anytime soon me thinks !

talbir

' TAL 81R ' would be a better one ...

Keep your eyes peeled for the old man in his brown Austin Allegro that is no doubt wearing it at the moment ;)

' TAL 81R ' would be a better one ...

Keep your eyes peeled for the old man in his brown Austin Allegro that is no doubt wearing it at the moment ;)

Thats how my mate bought BAD 541T (Think the other type of 4), he saw it on a mini and bought the plate and car for £850.

Ian

i was going to buy one from ebay for my wife then checked the dvla site to find the same plate for sale at a lower cost so it seems the ebay seller was a third party out to make a quick buck without spending a penny still you can't fault him for trying :rolleyes:

Isn't this a different plate? You purchased "TAL131R" and the one advertised is "TAL81R"?

Or have I missed the small print???

This company, Motor Marks....last year, i found this number plate which would be perfect for my name, TAL 131R....plate was up at £1,495 on their website.

I bought the plate over the phone, sent in full payment via cheque, all deposited. Things dragged on for a couple of months with no response....cheque was deposited. When i chased, they said it should process within the next week or two. Ended up with no progress and after alot of chasing, i got my money back.

The number plate then appeared on ebay....for £6,495 !!! What had happened was they had my V5 with the documents i sent in and the V5 had my name on it....so they obviously felt more money was to be made.

Now check this out....:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHERISHED-NUM...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Unbelieveable !!!

talbir

Shiesenhousens or what :(

Isn't it fairly common for these firms to advertise registrations that aren't actually theirs to sell?

:p
Isn't this a different plate? You purchased "TAL131R" and the one advertised is "TAL81R"?

Or have I missed the small print???

Yes, two different registration numbers.

Lots of these companies advertise registration numbers they do not own, then when someone shows an interest in buying, they have to scramble about to try and find who owns the plate, and establish if its still for sale.

But by then they have your money and you are the one having to do the chasing. This happened to me a number of years ago. I finally had my money returned after a court order was issued, and a visit made to the seller from the local police force. It was all a long drawn out story.

Not quite....the seller has TAL 131R advertised as well :

Moral of the story is the same...both those plates were advertised at 1,495 until i sent my V5 in with my name on it.....at that point the agreement contract for my purchase was thrown out of the window and plate remarketed at 4 times the price....with my name being used in the advert.

talbir

you could have sued them for specific performance (i.e. force them to honour the deal) ... but too late now since you got your money back

:p

Lots of these companies advertise registration numbers they do not own, then when someone shows an interest in buying, they have to scramble about to try and find who owns the plate, and establish if its still for sale.

So I found out. I typed in one of the plates I own on to New Reg and found that I could buy it from them for £16k!

I have never had any dealings directly with New Reg, or even indirectly. How could they possibly find me when some poor(er) soul gives them £16k to play with. Who in the current economic climate would trust someone with £16k? I certainly won't be sending New Reg any money for their fictitious "stock".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom