Number plates window mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A250 Bennyboy

Car
A Class A250 w176
See a car the other day with his front number plate displayed in his window, didn't think nothing more of it, but just lately I must of seen half dozen driving around with the number plates in the front screen.
Is this something new trend that's sweeping the car scene and is it illegal :eek:

Mainly Audi and VWs I've seen but also spotted a Vauxhall as well now :thumb:

Its the scene queens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it would almost certainly contravene the Display of Registration Marks section of the RVR.

Not vertical, not on the front of the vehicle, and no good reason for either.

It's the 2017 version of blue illuminate washers, or blue headlamp bulbs.

Didn't it start as a V-Dub "stance" thing; it's particularly popular with the "rat" look too isn't it?

You're supposed to take from it that their car is so low that the number plate would drag on the floor if they didn't put it in the window... or maybe that their crappy bumper is about to fall off.

Some have aftermarket bumpers with huge air intakes so there is no place for the plate without blocking the intake. These should be stuck to the bonnet (I guess) but then wouldn't look cool would it?

E Type Jaguar , and others , had the number painted on the bonnet .

Some have aftermarket bumpers with huge air intakes so there is no place for the plate without blocking the intake. These should be stuck to the bonnet (I guess) but then wouldn't look cool would it?

See offset plate a la Mitsubishi Evo or Alfa 156. Plates on the bonnet have been outlawed for some time, although probably with far more leeway if they're legible and rule 7 isn't being violated.

They don't half stand out! At first I thought what's wrong with that car? and then it jumps out no plate.
Audi looked all grill and a bit odd same with the golf and the Vauxhall they just looked odd, not sure if it's a good look?

Now I've seen a few knocking around they look more like a garage with its own plates on moving cars around to me :D

See offset plate a la Mitsubishi Evo or Alfa 156. Plates on the bonnet have been outlawed for some time, although probably with far more leeway if they're legible and rule 7 isn't being violated.

Yes I've seen them, but some aftermarket bumpers or cars with FMIC mods do not seem to have space for them. Not saying it is correct.

Extreme example

IMG_1271.jpg

A lot of cars do look better without the front number plate, however we need to have one in the UK, the removal of the front number plate and displaying it in the window has become so popular now you can actually win a prize now if stopped by your local constabulary!

The prize bing a £200 on the spot fine!

Yes I've seen them, but some aftermarket bumpers or cars with FMIC mods do not seem to have space for them. Not saying it is correct.

No different to an Evo really, so no excuse.

attachment.php

There might be a bit more wiggle room with the EVO; if it's an import you can run non-standard plates. - My GTiR has the square plates on the side of the bumper; that has never been an issue.

The way that I see it, there is a reason why certain people remove the number plate to allow air flow to a FMIC (somewhat plausible).

1069465_600.jpg

But then again, I see lots of people, taking the number plate off to expose that little extra bit of the paintwork, AND....then, re-attaching it onto a lower grille which is in place to allow air flow to the radiator/FMIC....:doh:

IMGP2003.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

P6010238.jpg

Other examples include, removal of plate leaving an exposed plate holder section and from the same scenario, short number plate, in a standard sized number plate section (what's the point?)

imag0814-jpg.54438

photo-51.jpg

SAM_0710.jpg

IMG_4898.JPG

Last edited:
Extreme example

IMG_1271.jpg
That looks really weird, like a giant vegetable slicer, especially as the is already an air intake above it.
I guess there is novelty value, but I'm not surprised that the Old Bill clamp down on user mods breaking the law (and common sense!). Same goes for manipulating number plate characters as well for vanity reasons.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom