Number Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinjs

Car
2021 C300 AMG Line Night Edition Prem +
I’m getting on a bit now so I have bought a few new cars in my time.

I haven’t found a dealer yet that can fit number plates to an acceptable standard. All but one have been misaligned (i.e. not straight), the one that was straight was cracked, so no prize there either.

My dealer in Milton Keynes used to fit number plate holders that the un-drilled plates then fitted into neatly. Presumably to save a few quid they stopped doing that a couple of years ago, instead they butchered the plates by drilling them without supporting the reflective backing and fasten them to the car with ugly screws offset and misaligned as per usual. The screw holes on mine were already allowing moisture to delaminates the number plates after just two months so I have fitted Wurth number plate holders and new plates.
I think they finish the car as it should be.IMG_0109.jpg

Dealers just don’t get it, a £40,000 motor with wonky plates, bit like selling a new house with a wobbly door handle.

Or a tailored suit with a button in the wrong place, no pride, no care, no quality control.

Rant over.

Dealers just don’t get it, a £40,000 motor with wonky plates, bit like selling a new house with a wobbly door handle.

Or a tailored suit with a button in the wrong place, no pride, no care, no quality control.

Rant over.
and if like me you have a particularly sensitive eye, you never unsee it. When we had a new wall-hung boiler installed the heating engineer proudly gave me a guided tour of his handywork: "Nice, but it's on the p!ss", was my only comment. He objected to the slur on his skill until I made him apply his spirit level to the offending article: 4° off vertical 😒

Anyone know the bolt size for the 4 holes on the rear ???

Anyone know the bolt size for the 4 holes on the rear ???
Won’t they be standard yellow/black/white plastic number plate bolts from Halfords etc, or have I misunderstood the question?

I couldn’t agree more. During the ten years that I worked for a sports and prestige car dealer selling cars typically in the £20k to £100k range I must have fitted hundreds of number plates. I was always very particular about the placement of the plates and the position of screws when used. Nobody ever commented on how accurately the plates were fitted, but I knew.

Won’t they be standard yellow/black/white plastic number plate bolts from Halfords etc, or have I misunderstood the question?
Theres a few types .

Pretend it's an Audi and stick it in the n/s of the windscreen.
The hot Beemer brigade around here do that; why??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom