Number Ten for capital food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My favourite local Chinese, Number Ten, has multiple personalities. For the numerous tourists in Earls Court, it is a bog standard Chinese, the usual Cantonese and Peking done well, but without any real inspiration. For the adventurous though, the chef is from Szechuan, and wondrous things like tripe, boiled beef with chilies, twice cooked pork and numerous other garlicky, spicy and offally bits of joy are in the special menu.

To my horror the place closed for what seemed like a month, in fact, they were merely replacing one set of bad furniture for another, and faux crocodile skin wallpaper, which I can guarantee no crocodile was hurt in its production. So making up for lost time, I have been back twice within a week, and as I shall be moving away next week, I shall be back again before I go.

So, the first time, husband and wife offal dressed with peanuts and chili oil. More about texture, this featured tenderised cartilage, beef and pork tripe, all served finely sliced and cold, dressed only with a piquant chili oil. A great way to liven up the taste buds, not for the faint of heart.

To follow, smashed cucumber soaked with rice vinegar, soy, finely sliced fresh red chili and unfeasibly large quantities of crushed garlic (it was this I had been eating last year when I had to give a police statement after a crash I witnessed. This might explain the willingness of Mr Plod to do it at a later date as my breath must have been concentrated alium). A wonderfully cooling dish, this paired with a pork belly and potato hotpot, with a rich concentrated sauce of soy with garlic and ginger. The belly was still springy , but the fat was bouncy and melting, a gloriously salty, obesity and artery hardening dish. Wonderful cut with the cucumber.

Today, as I stayed in the adventurous zone, the patroness offered me an unlisted sliced pigs ears, sotto voce. Seeing the table by me consisted of two elderly gentlemen from Yorkshire, who could have been scripted by Alan Bennett but with pauses between their antifonal conversation more worthy of Harold Pinter, I think they might have been scandalised, slowly, as they tucked into the tourist mild fare and talked of Mazda 323s.

Me, I was reading about driving a Bristol 400 drophead bodied by Farina, and after the gorgeous pigs ears - thinly sliced to translucency, dressed with black beans, thick spring onions and hot but not burning chili oil, it was a dish of considerable magnificence, although I freely admit to a pigs ear fondness.

To follow, a glorious stew of fatty beef brisket, with crunchy chinese leaves, julienne of ginger giving a sharp aromatic hit, fresh red chili fragranced stock based garlicky sauce and to cut the fat some rice vinegar pickled green pepper. To say this was excellent would be to understate quite how delicious this was - the brisket melting and tasty, the fat just to die for and of, different textures and fragrances supplied by the vegetables a perfect counterpoint.

I have eaten reasonably extensively in London Szechuan, and while many are good, the chef here is a gem. Proper home style food, minimal concessions to the western palate (for which they can have the bland stuff), unafraid of salt and fat and oil and oodles of chilies this is magnificent.

Number Ten in Hogarth Road, SW5 - just opposite the tube on the other side of the Earls Court Road. Well worth a visit. Take a chance, but if you really can't handle pain, avoid the beef broth. I counted 30 dry red chilies in my dish one day.

Tripe, cartilage and pigs ears or not the foods that get my juices flowing sorry. I wonder how much they charge for these plates of offal, a lot more than a plate of faggots and peas probably.
Another blessing that London is so far away.
Still, to each his own I guess.

Good for you Charles, although the day you'll find me eating pig's ear will be about a week after I've had to hunt my first pig down and all the good stuff is gone..

Cheers,

Gaz

If only London was closer....

No luck hunting for Sichuan in Glasgow on the web, but if you can get to Manchester, Red and Hot is the real deal, at least it is in London.

Best to go in a group and order extensively.

So what will be "The Last Supper" as a domiciled Londoner then Charles.

Good question. I suspect it will be either Number Ten for convenience and sobriety. My favourite Indian, the Brilliant in Southall, will actually be closer to my new home.

I travel to China regularly, the food served in the UK bears no resemblance to that in China.

It is entirely revolting, I always lose weight when there.

There are occassions where I have to eat some of it simply being polite to my hosts. I have to stifle my gag reflex.

In the UK, I will happily eat any westernised Chinese dish.

next time i'm in london i'm going.

the beef brisket sounds awesome. kind of knocks the macaroni cheese i ate into a cocked hat

I get the fear even looking at the disgusting stuff the Chinese consume.

*bokes*

Chicken chow mein with extra chilli does me just fine

I sense a London chinese night coming on ....

I travel to China regularly, the food served in the UK bears no resemblance to that in China.

It is entirely revolting, I always lose weight when there.

There are occassions where I have to eat some of it simply being polite to my hosts. I have to stifle my gag reflex.

Great advert. :D

[YOUTUBE]6_WAmt3cMdk[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps when Charles is settled into his new abode he can spy out the land and we can have "a bit of a do" in a new eatery. Easier parking perhaps and a bomb down to London and back.

Good question. I suspect it will be either Number Ten for convenience and sobriety. My favourite Indian, the Brilliant in Southall, will actually be closer to my new home.

Let's play "guess where Charles Morgan is moving to"...

Ealing? :dk:

Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom