Numberplate surrounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepper&boulou

Car
Volkswagen Passat V6TDi estate
I have been looking for a while for new numberplate surrounds for my w124 as the (plasitic) chrome ones I have are begining to look shabby as the finnish is wearing off, I wash it too much :) Does anybody on here know where I can source the german type with the star and mercedes on a black background , I have searched ebay with no luck I remember seeing them on there but it's always the same when you need something they're gone :( any help would be fab.

If you mean what I think you mean (the holders that you slip the plate into, and then click the lower lip in place to hold them), I bought a set recently from a chap in Germany for 29 Euros a pair posted.

Mine have Autohaus Stuttgart markings on them. I'll try and grab a useable pic if that would help, but there may not be enough light until tomorrow.

i bought some great s/steel ones from my local motor factor.. they werent cheap, think 20 for the pair, but were v high quality...

jaymanek said:
i bought some great s/steel ones from my local motor factor.. they werent cheap, think 20 for the pair, but were v high quality...
Seen those and yes they are good, but they dont fit the rear on mine as it has the infill panel. :(

There are slim plastic frames available from stealerships, possibly for free. Not immediately noticable but they do look quite modern and avoid screws through the plate.

Shude said:
There are slim plastic frames available from stealerships, possibly for free. Not immediately noticable but they do look quite modern and avoid screws through the plate.

I have them fitted front & rear, they have no writing on them & are about £3.57 each from the stealers

KillerHERTZ said:
I have them fitted front & rear, they have no writing on them & are about £3.57 each from the stealers
Not all stealerships sell them, they are not an OEM part they are an aftermarket accessory, but a lot do sell them and fit them to new or signature cars.

I had a pair sent for free (only shipping costs) to Koolvin from Monarch in Tamworth :)

pepper&boulou said:
Yes they're plate frames are nice but are £30 each :eek:
AND normal plates do not easily fit in them! They are designed to take european-style stamped metal plates that are thinner than UK laminted ones.

Wierd, those are the ones I have (well, not exactly but mine look identical) and my normal plastic plate dropped straight in with no fighting or faffing whatsoever.

Eutags prices are daylight robbery though! I paid the equivalent of £20 for 2, shipped from Germany.

Shude said:
I had a pair sent for free (only shipping costs) to Koolvin from Monarch in Tamworth :)

I've taken them off my Christmas card list!! They're on my to-do list though to get a letter!! :mad:

Halfords is the place to go. £9.99 each.

Chrome plated plastic ones, nice and flexible and can be stuck on using Halfords 'Sticky Fixers' 1mm for the front and 6mm on the rear to clear the hank bushes for the standard screws.

Halfords also do plates with a very discreet logo, so you can stick the surround on first, then stick the plate to the surround using 1mm fixers.

No screw holes means no water stains down the middle of the plates. if you really want to push the boat out,buy some anti flash plates. They really do work :)

Like Shude and killerHERTZ, I too have dealer supplied ones and I think they look pretty smart - but then I suppose I would or I wouldn't have used them would I? ;)

I got mine from a local stealership, complete with a centralised three-pointed star logo for the grand sum of: £0.00 + VAT. I simply walked in and asked if they wanted some free advertising, was given the plate surrounds, got home and carefully peeled off their not very well stuck on sticker :bannana:

And as a bonus, being black plastic, there's nothing to wear off!

Tony M said:
Halfords is the place to go. £9.99 each.

Chrome plated plastic ones, nice and flexible and can be stuck on using Halfords 'Sticky Fixers' 1mm for the front and 6mm on the rear to clear the hank bushes for the standard screws.

Halfords also do plates with a very discreet logo, so you can stick the surround on first, then stick the plate to the surround using 1mm fixers.

No screw holes means no water stains down the middle of the plates. if you really want to push the boat out,buy some anti flash plates. They really do work :)
Plastic chrome surrounds don't last long, and as for anti flash plates I don't want to go to jail thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom