Nuts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@DrFeelgood - Interesting comment about hotel food. In saying that, I was shocked at a hotel in Florida when the kids were young. We ordered a starter and main for the 5 of us (mum was with us) and seriously, just one of the mains would have been enough for us all. And then in the Supermarket everything was giant size and cheap. Makes you question whether cost per calorie is directly proportional to calorie intake. So what's your diet like these days?

I've seen the portion sizes in the US, particularly at smaller places, it's the corporates who insist on strict portion control usually.
My diet is pretty average I guess, we both enjoy cooking so manage to avoid a lot of processed meals, however, we both enjoy food. We tend to eat what we want which doesn't always equate to healthy food, however, we will insist on high quality which means that we don't eat much of the cheap ingredients like hydrogenated fat as we prefer butter!
We try and buy ingredients rather than meals.

We've always had only butter but now swapped out for flora pro-active.

Over the last couple of years it's been personal trainers who have educated me and I try to follow some of the principles they have taught me.

- weekday breakfast is always porridge made with (unsweetened) almond milk at home or coconut milk at work
- weekday lunch is usually grilled chicken on wild rice or grilled chicken with sweet potato and green beans
- for one weekend lunch I'll usually have eggs/avo/rye bread

I try to avoid bread, white rice, pasta and cheese. If I go to a coffee shop I usually ask for a dairy alternative. If I am drinking beer I try to go for the weakest ale in the place. Try to avoid wine with most meals. Try to have something less bad like spirits & diet tonic.

If I do ALL of those things week in week out AND exercise hard I maintain or lose weight. If I get lazy with the exercise and more indulgent with the food/drink I gain weight.

Simples.

When I was younger I couldn't understand people who would stay in at weekends for most of the year just so they they could afford to have their 2 week holiday in the sun.

These days I know that a life of austerity to live a few years longer isn't for me either.

When I was younger I couldn't understand people who would stay in at weekends for most of the year just so they they could afford to have their 2 week holiday in the sun.

These days I know that a life of austerity to live a few years longer isn't for me either.

Everything enjoyable in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening. I don't drink much, because I don't have the social occasions any more to trigger it, but I do smoke plenty of cigars. You have to die of something; it might as well be something you enjoy...

Edit

@Smart320 I do think BMI is a load of bull in many cases. I'm obese according to that measurement - 105kg and almost 6' 1. But hardly a pound of fat on me. But I guess it works for the general population and if nothing else is a good way to track progress, if not absolutes.

@DrFeelgood - Interesting comment about hotel food. In saying that, I was shocked at a hotel in Florida when the kids were young. We ordered a starter and main for the 5 of us (mum was with us) and seriously, just one of the mains would have been enough for us all. And then in the Supermarket everything was giant size and cheap. Makes you question whether cost per calorie is directly proportional to calorie intake. So what's your diet like these days?

@zipdip - I agree that low carbs is a great way to 'reduce' - but not everybody can follow that, either because of discipline or circumstances. Ever tried eating low carb in a motorway services? You can only eat so many boiled eggs or dried chicken. Interesting about your 130 bpm comment. I'm 58 and have just done a hard 3K ski erg and my heart refuses to budge above 110. (resting 40s). But I am still convinced the family will find me slumped either on my Pilates mat, or in the garage on my Watt Bike, or Ski Erg. But I would have died happy (ish).

@brucemillar - tell you what Bruce, I've been meaning to ask you for ages about your diet and eating arrangements. Can't imagine how it must feel and as you say, starting all over again. What about calorie intake? Do you struggle to get enough on board?

Calorie intake is not easy to manage. It is achieved (usually) by medical milk shakes. But I do manage ok. My weight fluctuates based on so many factors I have lost count.
One day at a time works for now then it it “small & often” for portion sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything enjoyable in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening. I don't drink much, because I don't have the social occasions any more to trigger it, but I do smoke plenty of cigars. You have to die of something; it might as well be something you enjoy...

I wish I had told my dad that as he lay dying whilst connected to his breathing apparatus because he had a lung removed due to smoking all his life. I’m sure he would’ve totally agreed with you while he had to suffer the indignity of a male care worker showering him and wiping his **** for him. Hey ho dad....at least you enjoyed those fags though.

Wow, you need to get some satanism or something. To me; everything in life is enjoyable, it's life, it's better than the alternative.

Well we nearly always cook our own food,but we enjoy eating out,we never eat fast food unless I get to take my grandson to McDonalds,then I have a Big Mac and of course if said grandson wants a icecream then I have to have one too,it is only fair,having been retired now 10 years you do start to put on weight,I try to go to the gym 3 times a week I spend just 1 hour in there and do not stop exercising,it helps me burn of calories and I feel much better for it,I have always had a sweet tooth,but my health is generally good,and as many have said you only get one chance at this so I cannot say I am over concerned about eating meat 4 times a week or eating that home made chocolate cake,I marvel at Bruce who has to watch what he eats because of his illnesses,I am not sure I could do it,but I suppose if the alternative is not being here you would soon learn what and how much you can eat,but looking from the outside I do wonder if I could actually adhere to a strict list of things you can and cannot eat,I suppose until you get into that position you will never know for certain.

It’s probably no different for men than women but certainly as I’ve got older I don’t need half the calories I did when I was younger. Any weight gain is very much harder to shift! I made a conscious effort to cut down on portions in recent years. I have a smallish breakfast and always add oat bran, milled flax seed and a few other seeds to cereal, along with blueberries and strawberries. I try to have any main meal by mid afternoon and don’t have another - but most days I don’t even have a main meal. My downfall was red wine on a daily basis and one glass soon became two or three (plus wine makes me hungry!). I knew the cumulative effect of this couldn’t be good so have now made an effort to cut down my alcohol intake to less than weekly recommended, I have changed from red wine to Guinness and have one or two days off. Apparently (so I’ve read) drinking on a low to moderate basis can actually increase your HDL (good cholesterol) - believe that if you will! :D . I recently had to have a blood pressure monitor as my readings were on the high side and also my cholesterol was a bit more than it should be, but my HDL was twice as high as normal so I must be eating some good things (as well as bad :rolleyes:).

I’ve suffered with various medical conditions all my adult life and am now at the age when you realise that yes every day does count. Your body when young can cope with a lot of abuse but that can come back to bite you in the bum in later life! I’ve lost over a stone and kept it off for the last four years, am fairly active (well as active as arthritis lets you be) - I’m still fitter than all my kids :)

I think when you’re older you can be more easily affected by certain foods and drinks, but I don’t diet, and eat pretty much what I like - but am mindful of having healthy stuff as well as rubbish, and try to eat rubbish in moderation. Some days better than others :rolleyes: . As far as I’m concerned, I enjoy food so it’s finding the balance between keeping relatively healthy and stuffing the odd chocolate bar in. As I age, health becomes more and more the priority!

"Everything enjoyable in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening. I don't drink much, because I don't have the social occasions any more to trigger it, but I do smoke plenty of cigars. You have to die of something; it might as well be something you enjoy..."

Helloooo... I'm joking... I'm sorry that some of you didn't get it, though; no offence was intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom