Nutter in a cop car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetnik

Car
Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
I was proceeding properly, m'lud, tonight, along a dual carriageway and approaching traffic lights at green. Vehicle in front was in the outside lane and I was following at an almost not quite reasonable distance.

As we were about to cross the junction a car crossed it on a red light. Said vehicle was driven by one of our finest boys in blue. Only he decided to sound his siren when only about five metres from said junction.

Car in front slammed all on, so did I - at the same time moving to the inside lane to avoid rear ending him. We both managed to stop a couple of metres short of hitting the nutter but 'twas a close shave.

I understand there are times when the police need to proceed with urgency but this nutter put both himself and others at great risk - a second or so difference and there would have been a major accident.

What annoys me, is when a police car aproaches red traffic lights and put their lights and sirens on, go through the red lights and once the other side, turn them off and proceed normally:doh:

Oh sh*t I'm about to go through a red light that I hadn't noticed cos I was on Facebook.

Better put the blues and twos on....

Further to that, on Wednesday, a "Traffic Officer" (one of them there "Wombles") came out of his local "Common" shall we say "Tickled Trout" at Preston. Stormed round the roundabout, leading to the M6, zonked up the on ramp and headed south at speed on the 6. Whilst doing this he was cutting in and out of traffic in shall we say an "aggressive" manner. Bear in mind he is driving a fully loaded Jap 4X4 - not the most "chuckable" of beasts.
Where did I see him next - parked up on the hard shoulder at the next junction but facing North - doing - bugger all. I think there was 3 up in the vehicle (so many yellow jackets strewn about the cab I could not really tell) - a bit of showboating methinks.

The other descriptive thought of the driver that came to mind would be :ban:ed by the forum. Also why :dk: did he feel the need to drive like that.

Further to that, on Wednesday, a "Traffic Officer" (one of them there "Wombles") came out of his local "Common" shall we say "Tickled Trout" at Preston. Stormed round the roundabout, leading to the M6, zonked up the on ramp and headed south at speed on the 6. Whilst doing this he was cutting in and out of traffic in shall we say an "aggressive" manner. Bear in mind he is driving a fully loaded Jap 4X4 - not the most "chuckable" of beasts.
Where did I see him next - parked up on the hard shoulder at the next junction but facing North - doing - bugger all. I think there was 3 up in the vehicle (so many yellow jackets strewn about the cab I could not really tell) - a bit of showboating methinks.

The other descriptive thought of the driver that came to mind would be :ban:ed by the forum. Also why :dk: did he feel the need to drive like that.
Not only pretty p*** poor driving but also a dreadful choice of hostelry!

Maybe he wanted to keep their doughnuts and coffee warm for when they could park up and listen to the footie?

Doughnuts? VERY counties, us London TraffPols have Patisserie :D

And folks, if you see a police vehicle and your not happy with the way it is being driven, make a note of the reg or number on the sides and pop into your local nick to report it.

You expect high standards of driving, as do our boss's!

And folks, if you see a police vehicle and your not happy with the way it is being driven, make a note of the reg or number on the sides and pop into your local nick to report it.

I'd have done that when I got undertaken on the slip road at J5 on the M1 by the dude in the unmarked black five series at about 95 MPH but he was going too fast. :D

Unless they are munching on a beefburger and with their arms round a comely WPC while hurtling along, I tend to give police drivers the benefit of the assumption there's a reason for what they are doing. My 'incident' was last summer on the narrow bit of the Fosse Way at Morton Morrell in Warwickshire. If anyone knows it there is a double-white line section with a blind crest and some tasty sweeping bends all marked beforehand by those black-spot signs detailing how many accidents have happened there. Hood down to enjoy the sunshine I was going north to the crest when I met an unmarked car with blue lights flashing coming the other way just before popping over the crest to find 4-5 oncoming cars being overtaken on my side of the road by a large white unmarked but flashing Audi Q8. I immediately braked, went left to the edge of the verge and the oncoming cars were probably keeping well into their side as the Audi came through. It was only a second or two but everybody held their route and he went up the middle with an acknowledging lift of the hand. I was too busy accelerating to avoid being hit by anyone else coming over the crest behind me but he could only have gone over the crest at least mainly on the wrong side.

I don't suppose there were many police Q8s on the Fosse Way that day but the wave helped and I am happy to believe there was a reason for a manoeuvre that would have had me facing a rather serious charge.

Not only pretty p*** poor driving but also a dreadful choice of hostelry!

Noooo!

The Wombles live in a big blue burrow next to M6 J31, known locally as Tickled Trout because of the (poor) hotel located there.

I just wish they would all stop thinking they are Policemen and also that 95% of the motoring public would get their eyes tested and stop slamming their brakes on in lane 3 every time they see a Womble in a 4x4...

At least some of the M6 overbridges (at least up in Cumbria) are being close bollarded to stop HGVs, Wombles and Talivan from parking on them!

Police cars should have big LED signs on the front and back of the car that say why they're driving aggressively and where they're off to.

A few examples;

'On our way to nick some nonces'

or

'Chasing bank robbers'

or

'Needed to slap some demonstrating crusty students about'

etc etc etc

Noooo!

The Wombles live in a big blue burrow next to M6 J31, known locally as Tickled Trout because of the (poor) hotel located there.

I just wish they would all stop thinking they are Policemen and also that 95% of the motoring public would get their eyes tested and stop slamming their brakes on in lane 3 every time they see a Womble in a 4x4...

At least some of the M6 overbridges (at least up in Cumbria) are being close bollarded to stop HGVs, Wombles and Talivan from parking on them!

Amen to that. Traffic bunched up (dangerous) for miles just because a Womble is having a plod down the MWay.

Doughnuts? VERY counties, us London TraffPols have Patisserie :D

You expect high standards of driving, as do our boss's!

To be honest he was travelling at such a pace that it was 'blues and twos' as he approached and 'reds and twos' when he passed. So, unless I'd had a spotter getting his number was a nigh on impossible task.

Noooo!

womble = litter picker
do the motorways have marked vehicles fot clearing the carriageways now then?

womble = litter picker
do the motorways have marked vehicles fot clearing the carriageways now then?

Yes. That's what Traffic Officers do. They don't do much else (apart from sleep on motorway bridges, on-slips and now on police 'humps' as well).

AKA Wombles

Those motorway police cars that aren't.

Last edited:
If I dressed as a Traffic Officer and painted my car to look like theirs I'd be done for impersonating a police officer, so why aren't they?

Police cars should have big LED signs on the front and back of the car that say why they're driving aggressively and where they're off to.

A few examples;

'On our way to nick some nonces'

or

'Chasing bank robbers'

or

'Needed to slap some demonstrating crusty students about'

etc etc etc

They do need a slap though :ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom