O/T Telephones over a wireless network

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

Is there anyway that i can use my Wireless network to connect a phone to the telephone system in my house.

I have one phone point downstairs and want another upstairs but dont fancy running phone cable around the house.

I have looked at a cordless telephone but not sure how good it will be since it has to go through walls and ceilings etc.

Regards

Tan

I use a Panasonic DECT phone, and it works fine though walls, etc. From 1st floor, street facing room with the transmitter I get signal out to about 200m (village shop) no problems.

I guess it would be possible to use, if your phone system is an IP comapatable one, but there arn't many out there, not sure if any for domestic use yet.

DECT is the way to go (can have multiple handsets and/or answer phone if you want). If you are worried about reception, buy from somewhere with a 14 day money back guarantee, open the box carefully, and return it if unsatisfied.

I take mine into the house next door and it works through 2 cavity walls separated by 15ft. At all times reception equal to a regular phone.

In the summer I get worried customers will hear birds chirping whilst ‘working’. ;) :bannana: ;)

Prices from about £40 for single handset up to about £150 for 4 handsets/chargers with answer phone.

I have decided to get some nice panasonic DECT phones, but cant decide whether to go with two lower end cordlesses aor one corded desk phone and one cordless.

The deskphone has a speakerphone built in usefull as it will be on my desk.

Decisions decisions

Do DECT phones interfere with wifi networks 802.11b (or similar)?

NormanB said:
Do DECT phones interfere with wifi networks 802.11b (or similar)?
Ours hasn't up to now :D I'm on 11g but wouldn't have thought that would make much difference over 11b.

We've never managed to get the second handset to work though:rolleyes: so ours tends to go all over the house. Miss so many calls coz we lose the phone:D

I've got a DECT (samsung) phone works a treat - up to 300 metres it says - but I've defo got much further than that.

Plus no issues with the wireless network whatsoever.

In fact I've got to replace the phone - it's old and battered.

Any advice?

K

Kinky said:
I've got a DECT (samsung) phone works a treat - up to 300 metres it says - but I've defo got much further than that.

Plus no issues with the wireless network whatsoever.

In fact I've got to replace the phone - it's old and battered.

Any advice?

K
Just bought one of these . . . (Doro 830R)

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=DECMIN

(cheaper here . . . www.rocom.co.uk)

Got the one with the answerphone to replace an old battered one, but I'm sure the one without is just as good.

You can get cheaper, but liked the size of this one - & also very light.

S.

Last edited:
Forgot to say Kinky, the other nice thing about this phone is it comes with 3 diff coloured fascias . . .and you can buy additional ones if you like !

(No need to guess which one I'm using . . . ;))

S.

Humm ...... loooks nice.

Looks REALLY nice ....

Think I'll have a nose around the web tonight .... see what I find ....

This is what I have at the moment - but could just get a new handset (it's a flip phone) - but fancy a change at the sametime anyway ...

GOLD6150_400.jpg

K

Last edited:
Tan said:
Hi

Is there anyway that i can use my Wireless network to connect a phone to the telephone system in my house.

I have one phone point downstairs and want another upstairs but dont fancy running phone cable around the house.

I have looked at a cordless telephone but not sure how good it will be since it has to go through walls and ceilings etc.

Regards

Tan

Hi Tan you can get voice over the wireless, but you need a ip phone and ip gateway, you have seen my house i use a dect panasonic phone works a treat evne in the garden, third floor or garage

cheers

kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom