O/T Wirless Broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

Does anyone know if an NTL Broadband connection can be connected to a Netgear Wireless router/gateway?

I had the the internet working but no network, now i have network but no internet?

Regards

Tan:rock:

It shouldnt be a problem . Maybe you have to wait for the mac address on the Router to update with NTL .

How long have you had it pluged in for ?

It was in for about an hour.

Do i have to configure one of the RJ 45 ports to be a wan port?

Coz the router has a built in modem, we used to use that for broadband at work but now i have moved it home i need to link it to NTL.

Yup, should be no problem... currently using a D-Link WiFi router to share an NTL broadband connection around a few household PC's (& PPC's)

NTL insist (prefer) that only a single computer may be active at any time on a households broadband connection. This computer is that used to register at the first connection and recognised by the internal MAC address for the PC's internal network adaptor.

A typical router installation might be that where a PC is initially connected direct to the cable modem / set top box and registered. The router then clones that PC's MAC address and presents itself to NTL as the registered PC.

The router, with DHCP enabled, then shares the broadband connection to as many PC's as required using 'Network Address Translation' to hide the household PC's from the NTL systems.

Any modern router, particularly NetGear, will offer DHCP services suitable for sharing Broadband amongst many WiFi and Ethernet connected PC's.

Post more details if you need a hand configuring / connecting the network together...

Andrew

Thanks for the help guys,

Can the Cat 5 cable from the NTL Modem (Set Top Box) plug into any of the RJ45 sockets on the Netgear Router or does it need a special WAN port??

Also is there a way to get the router to clone the deatils

It should work just fine if you set it up right.

The link to the cable box should plug into one specific port which should be detailed in the manual. {EDIT see below}

IIRC, NTL uses a MAC address as authentication. Did you register a new MAC address with NTL for the router or or did you clone the one on the router? If you cloned one, do you now have two identical MAC addresses on your network? If so, this is not such a good idea.

I believe the Netgear router also has manually configurable routing tables and also IPSEC passthrough [for a single machine]. On the router, have you defined the IP range of your PC's to be local? (i.e. this side of the cable modem) Have you also enabled the firewall on the router? If so, have you defined your IP range to be friendly?

Personally, I'd establish a web connection on all PC's first so that you know they all can speak to the router and then work from there.

Last edited:
The NTL box should connect to a dedicated WAN port on the router or a similarly port that may be marked 'uplink' or similar.

The router should have an IP address to allow your computer (connected to LAN Port 1) to browse the inbuilt web server and configure the router.

From the router config menus there is typically an option to CLONE the computer connected to the admin port (PORT 1) and hence emulate a standalone PC for broadband sharing.

Without knowing the make and model of your router it's difficult to be specific but I've found out the following the hard way:

1. Configuring the router is usually web based not Telnet
2. The router will not accept commands that do not originate from the admin port, typically a physical cable connection to Port 1

Hope it helps...

Like so

MR814routermodemcpu5.gif

Thats preety much how i had it done but, the cable from my cable box is RJ45 and the input socket (ADSL) is RJ11. Thus need to use one of the other sockets. So i guess i need to know can the RJ45 sockets be configured to be a recieving (wan) socket or is there a converter to convert the RJ45 to RJ11.

This damn thing is giving me a head ache.

thanks again for all the help:bannana: :bannana:

Not that it's any help, but I'm running the wireless NetGear ADSL router on my desktop machine, and wireless on my ThinkPad.

But it's on BT.

Currently sat here in the lounge watching VH1 classic [AC/DC on at the mo]

K

Originally posted by Tan
Thats preety much how i had it done but, the cable from my cable box is RJ45 and the input socket (ADSL) is RJ11. Thus need to use one of the other sockets. So i guess i need to know can the RJ45 sockets be configured to be a recieving (wan) socket or is there a converter to convert the RJ45 to RJ11.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

The four RJ45 ethernet ports are generaly a swich, or a hub. Logicaly they are all the same interface. You will not be able to configure one as a uplink or outside interface.

The RJ11 is an ADSL port, designed to connect into a phone line, there is no way of converting this to ethernet (that will be cost effective).

Best bet is to replace the router with one designed with an ethernet port inside and outside, and sell the old one on ebay.

Paul

Bearing this in mind i may just switch to ADSL since my 12 months with NTL are over now anyway

Tan said:
Bearing this in mind i may just switch to ADSL since my 12 months with NTL are over now anyway

Decision made.

I am switching my phone line back to Bt and am getting ADSL in the new year. This way i dont have to change the wireless router because when i had it running in my old office it ran very well.

Only down side to making the move from NTL is that i now have to get sky TV.

Thanks to all that gave their help.

Regards

Tan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom