o2 sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveskeggy

Car
S55 AMG
I have a few codes that say I need to replace what looks like 4 O2 sensors, these are 0162 0142 1167 1142.
These codes translate to bank 2 sensor 3, bank 1 sensor 3, bank1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2.
Am I right in saying that bank 1 is the drivers side (on the right side sitting inside the car)?
I suspect that sensor 1 would be nearest the engine before first the cat in the downpipe, and sensor 2 would be after the first cat and before the second cat and sensor 3 would be after the second cat, is this correct?

What are your thoughts on universal sensors? I have spent too much on this car already without spending another £400+ and the difference between that and spending less than half that will be the difference between me keeping it, and it been on e-bay next week.

Do not buy universal sensors, they hardly work and if they do they only last days..

Buy Bosch only... good price from aftermarket suppliers such as ECP, GSF etc.

I would change number 1's first as I doubt you have that many gone!

Update.
I had a MB free week last week and ran the Lexus for the last time before sale (it was like drivind a marshmallow bus after the S class).
Meanwhile I contacted Just Lambda, an operation in Hull just down the road from me.
They have 3 sensors that match the pre-cat n the 600, oem Bosch, universal Bosch and a universal made by Walker.
The difference between the oem and universal Bosch was only twenty quid, but if I had needed multiple sensors it would have made a lot of difference in price.
I asked the the guy at Just Lambda and he said that the universal Bosch was a good one and they had sold quite a few with no come backs.
So I ordered one (if it was no good then I would rather have just lost 78 quid than 400) and I put it in this morning.
The joining of the wires was a bit of a faff, but in all it took about an hour, the old sensor was sooted badly so I am guessing that the car was running very rich.
Joy of joys, I am now down to one fault code!
Its a 1167, which I understand is another o2 sensor, but not sure which one (other side post cat?).
So it looks like I am nearly on top of it, considering that when I got the car it had twelve fault codes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom