Oak doors - wax or oil etc?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Will, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Hi everyone,

In the process of having a load of new doors fitted (11 in total). They're 6 panel solid doors in Oak veneer. Similar in appearance to this:

[​IMG]

I'm wondering whether to wax them or oil them? Not really keen on varnishes etc. Anyone used a product that gave a good finish, I'm after something fairly clear that will preserve the appearance if possible.

Thanks,

Will

2. television

television MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R230 SL500
    I would use oil, as oil soaks in, the oil must be of the thin variety, so that the thinning agent carries the oil into the wood and this could need 20 coats but well worth doing.

Wax is OK but it is going to sit on the surface to a fair degree.

Varnishes are a nightmare once water gets under it,, It looks fine until it gets wet.

That my thoughts

3. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I've got some strips from the fitting where they've trimmed the doors at the top or bottom, I can test the finish on here before I commit to using it on the door itself.

Oil sounds better now I think about it as you say, it should soak in where as the wax won't do quite so much.

Will

4. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    Oil also dries and I believe that you must apply the coats one after the other so that it does not dry. This is where a good quality oil comes in

If I used wax, I would do it in the sun so that the wax was as soft and runny as possible and the wood grain was open

5. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    I would use a clear Danish oil which would be very durable and will bring out the grain nicely and have no chance of leaving brush marks.

As Television says, you need to apply lots of coats but application is very easy, just rub each coat in using a rag soaked in the oil.

6. mercmanuk

mercmanuk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
    ive just fitted a very simular door,i used ronseal brush wax,3 coats per side,apply 1 side leave 15 minutes wipe off,apply second coat leave 30 minutes wipe off,apply third coat leave 30 minutes wipe off and buff to whatever finish you like.took 5 hours per door and fitted 9 doors.
    when i fit doors for a customer and say they cost twice as much to stain or polish than to fit they look puzzled but its the time it takes to get that perfect fnish.

7. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    Oil. definitely. I assume they're internal doors, but if any are external, then oil them quickly, and DO NOT allow them to get wet (with water) because they'll stain.

PJ

8. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    I never read the post and I see that they are indoor door, then in that case Wax smells nicer and nothing in it for internal use

9. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    They're all internal doors.

Will the bathroom door be safe for a day or two until it's oiled/waxed or will the slight condensation from a shower or two be too much? Don't want it warping/staining or anything.

Will

10. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    Its not condensation that is a problem , it will be water spots or marks, you cant lose them, the door can be left open when not in use, so it would quickly dry from surface damp

11. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    I would use wax. You always run the risk of oil seeping out of the wood, dripping off the bottom and staining carpets/flooring.
    Use the finest quality beeswax available from PROPER furniture outlets and antique dealers. Not cheap, but the best.
    Dont wax or finish either the top or the bottom edges of the door as this allows the wood to continue to "breathe" naturally for at least a year or two. Once the door has been in place for this length of time it will have stabilised and then these edges can be finished if required - or simply left alone.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  12. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    I have just had a couple of oak veneer doors fitted myself. :)

The carpenter advised strongly against oil as it can lift the veneer. We went for wax just as mercmanuk. Looks very good IMHO even if it did take an age to do!

13. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    We are talking internal doors and of course maintenance. I would rule out oil on a veneer door be it internal or external. Wax might be the choice at the moment but it will be high maintenance, but I wish you well.

regards
    John

14. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    I would go along with that

15. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Sounds like wax is the way to go. The doors have been waiting to be fitted for many months now :eek:, have been stored inside in the climate that they're being fitted in, so hopefully they've acclimatised a bit.

The guy fitting them recommended wax as well, just thought I'd gauge a larger opinion from the great members here at MBClub :) :D

If they were very cheap doors I would've hung them myself, but some things just look nicer done by a pro.

Might take some pictures once they're all done :cool:

Cheers,

Will

16. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    My apologies, I didn't see that they were veneered. My comments above are for solid oak.

I recnetly had a couple of external solid oak doors built, and oiled then as per the recommendations of the joiner.

PJ

17. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    I did the same thing and I am as blind as a bat, I should not answer anything really :mad:

18. Benzowner

Benzowner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B180 CDi W245 in Silver
    Don't know the age of your house, but did you measure the bathroom door? Usual internal doors are 2' 6" x 6'6", bathroom door on older houses is only 2'3" x 6'6"

19. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    On a very serious note, could you ask your joiner what he would recommend for a southerly facing exterenal mahogany door that is permanantly exposed to the sun's rays please?

regards
    John

20. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    John my good friends return from Australia in a couple of weeks and they fitted a new hand made solid stable door on a South facing wall. As I have been doing their post I did notice it was still like new. I will ask them on their return, I can even take a picture

Tags: