Oak doors - wax or oil etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can do, John, but he's French (and he lives in France) and on vacation at the moment (I know this, because he's late with my new windows :( )

I'll be talking to him asap, and seeing him when I'm over there in a couple of weeks time.

I'll put your question on my list.

PJ

Don't know the age of your house, but did you measure the bathroom door? Usual internal doors are 2' 6" x 6'6", bathroom door on older houses is only 2'3" x 6'6"

Hi Geoff,

I did measure all of the doors. The bathroom door and downstairs cloakroom are 2'3" x 6'6", the rest of the doors (bedrooms, lounge etc) are 2'6" bar a few fitted wardrobes/cupboards (2ft!)

Will

I'd love solid oak doors, but to be honest, I couldn't justify or afford the cost of those. It's my first place, and with 11 doors to replace it would have cost a fortune. As it is, it's costing over £2K all in (doors, furniture, fitting etc). I'd imagine it'd be two or three times that amount for solid oak?

These doors seem pretty good, nice weight to them and much better than 'hollow' doors, and I greatly prefer them to your typical pine doors etc.

I think the wax seems the most sensible, once they've been hung and the latches/furniture I'll carefully remove them, apply the rest of the paint to the frames and architrave, and then wax them one or two at a time. Should keep me busy for a few weekends I guess!

Cheers,

Will

Sounds like wax is the way to go. The doors have been waiting to be fitted for many months now :eek:,

Will, stop drooling over 201's; get the bloomin' job done;) . tin of Briwax, away you go. Boy are going to ache if you do all of them in one go!

matt

As it is, it's costing over £2K all in (doors, furniture, fitting etc). I'd imagine it'd be two or three times that amount for solid oak?

I got mine made to measure, because the doorways are odd sizes (really odd :crazy: ). One half-glazed and one stable, half-glazed. Got them for €1,900 fitted. So that's £1,300 for the two which works out to 3.5 times more than your £2k for all 11, and mine were cheap because that kind of thing usually is in rural France.

PJ

Will, stop drooling over 201's; get the bloomin' job done;) . tin of Briwax, away you go. Boy are going to ache if you do all of them in one go!

matt

LOL, guilty :eek:

Nope, seriously been very busy recently, it's been a never ending process - clearing rubbish, plastering, lighting, radiators, flooring, fitting skirting boards/architrave, decorating, new blinds, garden clearing...

Now the new doors are up I've got more space in one of the bedrooms, can finish off the extension (flooring, final decorating, one radiator to fit). Then comes the block paving, new shed... :D :rock:

Does it ever end?

Have learnt a lot in the last year, and it's hit my pocket pretty hard at times too :( I think it's all been worth it in the end though :)

Will

I got mine made to measure, because the doorways are odd sizes (really odd :crazy: ). One half-glazed and one stable, half-glazed. Got them for €1,900 fitted. So that's £1,300 for the two which works out to 3.5 times more than your £2k for all 11, and mine were cheap because that kind of thing usually is in rural France.

PJ

Sounds like a good price for what you've got, and they're external doors too.

If you'd seen the doors that the previous owner installed in theis place, you'd probably cry :eek:

The £2K is a guesstimate, I bought the doors late last year and I've only just got round to having them fitted. It's probably a bit more than that in total, but somewhere around that figure.

Using this company for the fitting/furniture/hinges:

http://www.heritagehandles.co.uk/

Will

I think it's all been worth it in the end though :)

Yep, you've done a good job, for a first-timer. Just a couple of snags, and you're finished :D

280mikg.jpg

If you'd seen the doors that the previous owner installed in theis place, you'd probably cry

Likewise. They were made from internal-use tongue & groove, with acrylic 'glass' :eek:

Ahh, these were the cheapest doors that money can buy, then DIY fitted with shocking attention to detail (small/large flat/philips screws all mixed up, most at silly angles :crazy:

Most of them were cut wrong, or sticking in the frames, the hinges were cheap rubbish, likewise the handles, and one or two had been damaged (it was a re-possessed house with a company that had been liquadated and a couple that had seperated..)

These are an infinate improvement, the fitters have just finished for the day and it looks so much better upstairs now (second day, most of the upstairs doors are hung, and some of the handles/latches are fitted).

Will

Thinking once more - sounds like wax is the way to go - but is there a particular type or brand of wax that comes recommended?

Thanks,

Will

dealing with a lot of companys ive found this company to be the best for handles ,hinges etc.very good quality and best prices
http://www.handleandknobshop.co.uk/index.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom